Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2023, 06:18 PM   #1
JayJay

Default Shout out for Randy Gross!

So often these days we encounter poor quality, poor attitude and poor service when we look for things to be done. I know I'm not the first, nor I hope will be the last, to recognize that none of the above apply to work I had Randy Gross do for me.

I am doing a body-off restoration of my unmolested 1930 Town Sedan and am heavily into the chassis right now. I knew I needed to convert the old stamped steel drums to cast iron, and when I pulled the front hubs I found the backing plates totally packed with grease. I also noticed that the front roller tracks were heavily gouged, which means that they needed to be removed and new/repaired re-riveted into place. I don't have a press big enough to swage lug bolts, nor am I skilled enough at riveting to feel confident, so I decided to have my backing plates rebuilt and all four drums replaced. Based upon reputation, I decided to contact Randy Gross to see if he was interested.

Randy was a delight to speak with on the phone, very helpful. It turns out that my family got together in Southern California for Thanksgiving, and when I asked, Randy very graciously offered to let me drop off my brakes as I drove through (those things are heavy - shipping is not inconsequential). When I dropped them off on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend Randy apologized that he could not turn them around that day, and noted that he had a job in front of me for the following weekend. That was fine, I'm nowhere near ready for them.

The Friday before the weekend Randy was going to do my job he had an unexpected delay that required that he put me off for a week. His wife called me to tell me of the delay. I thought this was an excellent customer service touch, he knew I was not pressed for time but had the courtesy to let me know anyhow. He did get to the job the following weekend (last weekend, December 16-17) and called me last Monday morning to let me know the brakes were on their way to me UPS and would arrive Wednesday. Which they did, no muss, no fuss. One corner to a package, well padded, taped and banded. Very professional.

I unpacked them today and they are gorgeous. Hubs blasted and new drums and lugs installed, new bonded service brakes and e-brake, nicely blasted and painted backing plate, and all internals new. He even enclosed a pint of drum brake grease (the green can Sta-Lube stuff that you can't get any more).

Invoice was in the shipment - none of this "pay me before you inspect the work" stuff. And I thought that the charges were very reasonable. Considerably less than if I had bought the parts and had the work done locally.

All in all, a totally pleasant experience. If you need brakes or any of the other things Randy provides (please see attached business card) I don't think you can go wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 14.56.02.jpg (21.3 KB, 111 views)

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 12-25-2023 at 11:34 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
rfitzpatrick

Default Re: Shout out for Randy Gross!

Don't let this Man retire
rfitzpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
petew

My experience was similar , he was wonderful to deal with and his work exceptional.
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:54 AM   #4
old31

I have also done business with Randy, and if all business men had the same work ethic and attituded as Randy the world would be a better place.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
CarlG

My experience with Randy has been stellar!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #6
Tom Endy

I have known Randy for many years, he lives a couple miles down the road from me. He is the best.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:08 PM   #7
Aretino

My Coupe had no emergency brake components when i bought her. Randy fixed me up with emergency brake parts, new drums and linings. Great Guy and Great Service
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:08 PM   #8
Ron Blissit

Randy did Stellar work on my brake drums very reasonable price.Thanks Randy
Ron Blissit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 06:41 AM   #9
henry's 31

Thank you JayJay for recognizing the great work Randy does. By describing your experience we bring attention to the stellar people we have in the hobby. As a group of people passionate about the Model A, we are lucky to have people like Randy in our Hobby.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:29 PM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

Jayjay--- it is sure rfreshing to hear good news about someone's sales and service and parts quality...

THANK YOU for posting, I will definitely contact this fellow for brakes, hubs, etc.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 06:53 PM   #11
wuga

I live in Ontario. I contacted Randy about a set of cast drums and relined shoes. I also wanted a steering box. To keep shipping costs down, I removed the drums and only sent him the hubs and shoes. I damaged one hub removing the drum so he replaced that one. He then shipped the new brakes and steering with out payment and told me to make sure everything was OK. I also asked him to hold on until my pension check came in. He shipped everything anyway. He trusted a guy in another country where he didn't have any recourse. Everything worked great and yes, he was paid. An absolute great guy to work with.
Warren
wuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 08:18 PM   #12
Bill G

Randy Gross is a class act.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #13
drfromnc

Well said all. While I have not bought any product or service from Randy I did speak with a few weeks ago regarding an F100 box I am planning to use in my 34 pickup. Really nice guy. He answered all my “newbie” questions and offered up other advice.
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote