Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2023, 12:59 PM   #21
Fhane

Default Re: help dowshift 3rd to 2nd

Many engine builders will tell you never downshift to slow a car down. Down shifting at a high speed puts a strain on the engine. It is better to use your brakes than use the engine/transmission to slow down. You’re not driving a race car with a disposable engine. The Corvette owners manual also states to use your brakes. Down shifting should be done at lower speeds to avoid lugging the engine. To each his own.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:55 PM   #22
Brentwood Bob

Excellent opportunity to ask for a local local club member to show you how.
P.S. shows you how, but he can't ride along to walk you thru the learning part.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:15 PM   #23
Synchro909

I was taught that this process is double DEclutching and I think that gives a clue as to how to do it. I have explained here before that our cars have the accelerator between the clutch and brake pedals. This video shows how to double declutch down AND use the brake at the same time. Watch his right foot straddle both pedals. Not sure if that is even possible with your LHD setup.https://www.google.com/search?q=doub...s3Xo1-Lhs,st:0
My father used to tell me to give it a good gob full of juice when you change from 3rd to 2nd and an even bigger gob full when going back to 1st from 2nd. Don't be afraid to give it a rev. With practice, you' get it. Paul Shinn (post 17) shows it pretty well in the video.

Last edited by Synchro909; 11-22-2023 at 05:19 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #24
bigmegina

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Sometimes, there is no substitute for a visual demonstration. This is one of those times. Here you go- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDCJ2ARHQwI
thanks will try it.
bigmegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:14 PM   #25
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
Excuse my ignorance on the age old "Art" of double clutching. When you rev the engine in neutral, to rev match the gears, is that with the clutch out? Then clutch in and down or up shift to desired gear? That to me would be "double" clutching.

Thanks forum, Your The Best!

Yes, clutch out.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:18 PM   #26
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVZ24 View Post
The manual itself says go directly and immediately from third to second without pausing or double clutching. I find it only works that way at speeds under 20 mph. Otherwise double clutch.

Yeah, I tried it a couple of times, but one has to be careful with that. I double clutch out of precaution.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:59 AM   #27
johnbuckley

[QUOTE=nkaminar;2270637]....."Unless you need the engine to help you slow down going down a grade, down shifting is not normally needed. ...." Uh ?? Don't know the geography of where you live Nkaminar but over we have many steep narrow slow hills and even if anticipated with full blast 3rd gear Yabber Dabber Do we need to drop down into second, and a couple of gradients within a mile of me are 33% 1st gearers!

Last edited by johnbuckley; 11-19-2023 at 05:11 AM.
johnbuckley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 10:01 AM   #28
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
So I brought home my avatar truck. It was a pretty easy drive up onto the car carrier/flatbed.

Once home I decided to "get familiar" with the truck and took it out for a couple of "spins."

It drove pretty good. No clashing of gear no issue with shifting using my modern sensibility.

It was then I decided to start tearing down the truck for a restoration. Out comes the motor and tranny. Motor was replaced with a rebuilt unit. Transmission was next for restoration.

Open the top and pour out the fluid before beginning.

WHAT is this? Sawdust/wood cuttings all mixed with the oil.

No wonder it shifted so easily and drove so well.

Joe K
Did you find oatmeal in the radiator fluid (another dust bowl fix)?

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 11:39 AM   #29
rotorwrench

I learned how to drive in a 1952 F3 pickup on the farm. It had the old 4-speed non synchro gearbox so it was a learning experience downshifting all the way through the gears. The double clutch is a way to slow the countershaft cluster gear so that the shift will be manageable. The RPM matching is the most important part about downshifting but the two actions work hand in hand. Each different transmission of this type is a new experience but just having the knowledge of how to best negotiate a downshift is a big plus in the process.

I had to drive an old late 40s International fire truck when I worked at an airport up in Kansas. I was the only one that could drive it without grinding gears. Anyone that has experience with the old Internationals will know what I'm talking about. It had the weirdest shift pattern of any truck I ever drove.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #30
Benson

Last edited by Benson; 11-22-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #31
David R.

Unless you need the engine to help you slow down going down a grade, down shifting is not normally needed. In town driving you just pull up to a stop and shift from third into first (with the clutch pedal to the floor as normal).[/QUOTE]

Around here crooked winding roads and steep hills would require you to learn the skill of down shifting. I have been practicing on my AA (4 speed) chassis driving on a milk crate in neighborhood while working on body.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #32
Brentwood Bob

The international hay hauling truck (ZX Ranch, Paisley, Oregon, circa 1965) had a 5 speed main, and a 3 speed Browney. It went all the way down to low, low on the grade going north of Summer Lake. A stall would have been bad. That was a straight six gas engine. You kept it pegged. That took two hands, with the left hooked thru the steering wheel. Never missed a shift. Double clutched. So my experience driving my first model a was a good learning experience, and probably saved one of my nine lives.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:24 PM   #33
100IH

If you think that there is 600 in the box, I wouldn't change it until the replacement arrives. The real thing is THICK, MIGHT TAKE A WEEK DRAINING IN PRESENT COLD WEATHER ! How you gonna get it in ? (You need a pump).
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:33 PM   #34
bigmegina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
If you think that there is 600 in the box, I wouldn't change it until the replacement arrives. The real thing is THICK, MIGHT TAKE A WEEK DRAINING IN PRESENT COLD WEATHER ! How you gonna get it in ? (You need a pump).
replaced the oil with 600.to crappy to try it out here in upstate ny
bigmegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #35
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Yeah, I tried it a couple of times, but one has to be careful with that. I double clutch out of precaution.

Agreed. I tried to shift that way at 10mph or so... never again. If you can rev match, do that. I tend to drop into 2nd between 15-25mph. If the car starts lugging up a hill I'll downshift at 25, taking a corner on a flat road I'll let it slow down to 15. I know what the manual says but under any sort of load 12-15mph in high gear lugs the engine too much for my liking.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #36
Sunny the Model A

I found that my truck prefers to be down shifted at 15 mph, and it likes being downshifted to first at 9 mph. to down shift from third to second, clutch it to neutral, let clutch go, give it a blip on the throttle, clutch and slide it into second. Back to first goes the same way. at 9 mph clutch it out of gear, let clutch go, blip throttle again, clutch and slide it back into first. If you car doesn't like being shifted, put the 600W in it and throw a couple table spoons of general purpose grease in there too. it thickens up the oil and makes it shift smooth as silk. Idle speed also can affect shifting. Adjust your idle so when you clutch to put it first you can stamp on the clutch and count to 3, at 4 you should be able to pop it in gear with no crunching.