Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2022, 12:52 AM   #21
deuce lover

Default Re: where to get a new grill for my 34

Germany and France had the 4 rear mechanical rods system.Not sure of other Euro countries .The Codes then required a dedicated parking brake . The 9/37 is the standard rear ratio for all '33,'34 Fords.The only other gear ratio available was 11-39.Very few( IMO) were installed at the factory if any,probably special order and dealer replacement.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:38 AM   #22
48-710

Australia also has the 4 rod system on the rear. I know that Zimbabwe, and I guess other countries in Africa, has the same set up. The 2 brake rod supports in good condition are very hard to find. I'm in the market for a pair if anyone has them.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:05 AM   #23
Robert/Texas

48-710
My car lacks those rod supports too. If you ever find some, please let me know. It now has the single rod supports and rubber hose covering the non-supported rods. This keeps the rattles away but I doubt that it came that way when it was new.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:45 AM   #24
AnthonyG

Wow, Really nice job repairing your grille!!! & you saved a bunch of green! ‘34 grille is the most desirable & in demand w Street-rod / Hotrod people so they bring a really high price tag. ‘35 a bit cheaper but still astronomical in my book. I got a free banged up fiberglass ‘34 Roadster tub from an old farmer in Pa. Whose farm I hunted for many years, he wanted to build a street rod with it but said age got the best of him. I’m 72 & probably shouldn’t as I have too much now that I won’t finish, but can’t let a deal go by! It’s not real bad condition & getting into shape. I thought I’d build a little retro-mod open engine Roadster as I had most of the spare mechanical’s around the garage. Naturally looked for a ‘34 grill , even almost beyond repair ones people where asking close to $1000. Obviously not concerned w originality on a retro-mod. I found a really nice aftermarket ‘32 steel & chrome grill for $200. It’ll still have the look w/o the cost!
Old 08-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #25
vincent

I realised those original grilles are fetching big money - maybe I make the next from aluminium and polish it highly - would look almost as good as the chromed original but be a little on the hot rod side. Would be fun to make a couple dies and do some aluminium presswork.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #26
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48-710 View Post
Australia also has the 4 rod system on the rear. I know that Zimbabwe, and I guess other countries in Africa, has the same set up. The 2 brake rod supports in good condition are very hard to find. I'm in the market for a pair if anyone has them.
My 34 four door sedan was built in Port Elizabeth South Africa and is RHD and has the two brake rod system on the rear brakes, same as USA cars. To accommodate the four rod system rear support brackets you just need to extend out the two rod supports by welding some extra length flat steel to them with a hole with a rubber grommet in the hole for the extra rod to go through. This is how the original factory ones were made. Regards Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote