Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #1
Vern

Default Big 3 Swap Meet Memories

This time last year lots of us were getting all the rust, NOS and car stuff organized and heading down to the former San Diego stadium for the Big 3 Swap Meet. I don't know how long it was held at the stadium, and other sites before that, but I went there for over 25 years. It was always a great weekend in the end of February, usually sunny and cool, but we had some stormy ones too.
The first time, I met Lori & Rudy Perez of Meets Early Auto, who became friends. Over the years I got to know Mark M., Gary K., Sammy G. and his collection of folks from Arizona, Joop, John & Andrew from sunny England, Ray, Charlene & Fred M., Pete W., Arlyn, Webb, Neil M., Derek and other Kiwis, the Palomar Model A group, and SO many others. It was so much fun to sit with my buds from the San Diego A's, swap pieces, sell pieces, and look for treasures.
Alas, that was the last Big 3. This year, the stadium is being torn down, to be replaced by a smaller stadium and facilities for San Diego State. Yeah, it's progress, but this end of February will be a little sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stadium 2021.JPG (150.2 KB, 83 views)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
gz

Default Re: Big 3 Swap Meet Memories

I grew up in LA and started going to the Big Three when I was a kid. The first meet I attended was at a Sears or some type of shopping mall parking lot in El Cajon. Then it moved to a dirt field which I think may have been part of an airport in El Cajon or somewhere around there. It was there for a couple of years before moving to the stadium.

Yes, this was a wonderful swap meet. In the early days it was nothing but prewar parts as far as the eye could see. Great brass parts, rare classic car parts, rare project cars and chassis. And tons of Model T, A and V8 parts-lots of it being rare stuff and/or NOS.

Oh, and the big, rare cars that were for sale at some of those early meets.

People used to travel to this meet from all over the country. Lots of people traveled from the midwest and east coast because it was a great excuse to escape their winters.

In the early days, the swap meet would start at about 4 or 5 am on Saturday with buyers and sellers using flashlights. It was always a competitive feeding frenzy. Swapping would go late into Saturday night and start again early Sunday AM. By Sunday morning, sellers-especially those with heavy iron parts-were seriously discounting what they had not sold. I remember lots of stuff being left in the trash cans as sellers began to depart Sunday midday.

I remember some of the early Ford parts vendors such as Carl Burnett's Antique Automotive always having a big display (his store was in San Diego), Sally and "Rags" Lindman, Bill Rader, Sheldon Greenland (later Vintique), San Jose Vintage Ford Parts, Rudy Perez, Bob Drake, etc etc etc.

The Big Three in San Diego and the Long Beach Model T Club swap meet were the two absolute, must attend swap meets in SoCal. Never missed either for many, many years. Bought and sold lots of great items at these events.

Great memories. My only regret was that we didn't have digital cameras to capture these memories.

Last edited by gz; 02-23-2021 at 08:37 PM.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:08 PM   #3
quickchange

Vern , Hi ,Yes we had some good times there & even better folk, sure going to miss it ,the stories, the beach accommodation, & all those folk you mentioned above ,those where the good days, How about a re union next year after this virus thing is over ???
Derek & Paul the kiwi pickers, Dam im missing swap meets & the folk, over there, A Paul???
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:32 PM   #4
Ray in La Mesa

It was one of the great parts of the hobby/way of life.The camaraderie at the blue VW bus under the F3 pole was fantastic. As Vern & OZ mentioned, lots of great people to share life with. Sure will miss it. Ray & JudyJo
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #5
al's28/33

This new generation will soon be holding ZOOM meetings on facebook with virtual reality images of cyber humans and cartoon 3-D images of old cars.

makes me sick to my stomach.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:01 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

Possibly the new venue will be up to making some coin by renting the lot for the Big Three to continue.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:38 AM   #7
Gary Karr

It truly is an empty month of February with no Big 3 Swap Meet. It was always such a social time as well as a treasure hunt for Model A parts. I attended the Big 3 for more than 30 years and met some lifelong friends there. It is now nothing more than a memory and sadly will most likely never return to San Diego as that was the only spot big enough to house the event. Here are some pictures of our space from 2010. Dave Lopes brought his '28 Phaeton and his '28 Special Coupe. I brought my Tudor and Ron Avakian brought his '29 Special Coupe. All the cars there was a great attraction. It was like a mini national meet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big 3 Swap Meet 2010 001.jpg (67.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Big 3 Swap Meet 2010 002.jpg (80.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Big 3 Swap Meet 2010 003.jpg (79.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Big 3 Swap Meet 2010 004.jpg (56.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Big 3 Swap Meet 2010 005.jpg (66.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Big 3 Swap Meet 2010 006.jpg (61.1 KB, 62 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:28 AM   #8
PotvinV8

Will be a missed event for sure! Went every year for the past 20 years and always had a great time.
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:50 AM   #9
dean from bozeman

Sad. It's like the passing of an old, dear friend.

For 15 out of the last 18 years it was my place to thaw out, meet with friends and buy some early '28 parts.

It was the place where we admired Dave Lopes' very original '29 Fordor and then at 5:00 he said, 'Well boys let's go for a ride'. Four of us were treated to a ride in his 4,000 mile Fordor. It was as close anyone will ever get to riding in a brand new Model A.

Years earlier I had found a complete, first generation front end under a '29 A. Now I had to figure out a way to get it home to Montana. The airlines frown on trying to check in an "A" front end. So what happened was that Sammie Guthrie took it with him back to Arizona and then I picked it up on my way back from the Dallas World meet. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Just a couple years ago right after the gates opened I found a large script front axle with both hubs still on it on the west side of the car corral. The price was right and the treasure was now mine. For some unknown reason I put it on my shoulder and walked uphill towards Gary Karr's spot near E3. About halfway there I realized the folly of my actions and set it down. However, I am known for having more stubbornness than brains. So I picked it up, put it back on my shoulder and proceeded up the hill. About 150 yards from F3, Gary saw me and heard my faint pleas and ran to help me get it to his swap space. Why I think that any Model A part is worth risking my life or my back is beyond me.

There are three times each year that I leave the Rocky Mountains for my antique car hobby: Hershey, the MARC national meet and the San Diego swap meet. Now I'm down to Hershey and the MARC meet. Hopefully we'll have both this year.

Good bye Big Three swap meet. I'm really going to miss you. Thanks for the memories...and some dang nice Model A parts!

P.S. Special thanks to Gary Karr for encouraging to attend the Big Three, sharing a million laughs and a few beers!

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 02-24-2021 at 06:16 AM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #10
Juggler

I'm going to miss it. Was our annual pilgrimage for many years. Always the best of times there, and staying at the Beach Cottages with the rest of the Arizona crew. Me and Dad had some great finds over the years, some of which have actually made it back to UK. The dickering, the banter, catching up with old friends and putting faces to some of the names on here (Hi Vern!) just made it all the better.

Talking of dickering, was able to record a masterclass from Sammy Guthrie, his Mom, Ron Mosher and Brian from the UK

https://youtu.be/3lTAr82D9-c
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
McMimmcs

My grandpa used to say that ploughing was a small part of a “ ploughing match”! It is the meeting of new friends and the renewal of old friendships.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #12
quickchange

Andrew really enjoyed that clip , so true ,The memories , the stories, the finds, the company, Being lock down in NZ think we have had the best times,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #13
denis4x4

The last couple of years, I took the trolley from Old Town and it was fun to see guys with all sorts parts and pieces on the return trip.