Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
lesbliss

Default Parts Source

After not running my 1951 Mercury for several months I find that the compression on all 8 cyl. is almost zero. Pulled the heads and found 4 cyl. with stuck exhaust valves. I have decided to do a ring and valve job and need to know the best place for parts. Budget is a real concern. Thanks in advance.

Les Bliss
lesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: Parts Source

How did it run before? I think I would unstick the valves by liberally dousing them with ATF and Acetone mixture in the valve valley. Obviously you'd remove the intake manifold to do this. Once they're loosened up, then try a compression test. If it's good, drain everything, put in fresh oil, replace the intake and get on down the road.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
lesbliss

It ran OK but not big on power. Stalled a lot when you shifted the mercamatic into drive. Since I have the engine half tore down I figured it was a good time for a minor overhaul. Engine only has 63,000 miles on it so rings and bearings might keep me going for another 60,000.
lesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
supereal

Granted, good parts are expensive, but so is premature failure of critical components. We use a variety of suppliers, but C&G is a reliable source, know their stock, and can help when advice is necessary. Their site is www.cgfordparts.com
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
rotorwrench

I've heard Patrick's has decent prices on parts if you go that route.

With that low a mileage you might be able to restore some life to it by liberal use of Marvel Mystery oil. It does a good job of softening hard carbon. We used to run it in the fuel and the oil of the little Contenintal engines that were commonly used in small aircraft back in the day. If you didn't use it , it was about guaranteed you would stick a valve. It will also decarbon the piston rings pretty well and may help your compression.

Those old Merc-O-Matics start in 2nd gear when you drop it in D. It takes a bit of torque to get those heavy old cars going. If adjusted properly, they work fairly smooth though.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote