Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
coolcoupe

Default wheel studs

I had studs press into my hubs/drums. Now I have a shimmy at about 50 mph
that I did not have before. Its a stock 47 car. Could they have press the studs in crooked ? Has anyone had that happen to them ? Moe
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #2
Drbrown

Default Re: wheel studs

Assume your feeling shimmy thru steering wheel. If your wheel bolts are torqued to spec the studs should not be the problem. In raised position test installed wheels for left to right wiggle = maybe tie rod ends or pitman arm. Then top to bottom wheel wiggle = maybe king pins. Either direction = maybe wheel bearing bolt tightness or wear. Check tire bodies and wheel rims for trueness.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #3
Tinker

Ya same here.

Less you added weight to the drum, or your wheels are not tight, or now you are hyper watching a condition that was always there. Maybe balance the wheels or check kingpins?

Or maybe your toe changed.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 AM   #4
flathead48

I had a problem with some studs because the shoulder was to long and not enough threads to properly tighten the wheels. Had to turn the shoulder and tread the stud. You can pit a washer between the wheels and drum just to see if this could be your problem.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Andy

If they did not cut the swedges off the old studs and just pressed them out, it is very likely the hubs are bent.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
coolcoupe

These studs were not swedge in, but had a tack of well on the inside of the drum to prevent them from turning. I grinded that well of and they pressed the old studs out and pressed the new studs into the hubs. Then added a few tacks of well to prevent them from turning. Could the wells be causing this shimmy in the steering wheel ? I will check all of ideas you's have mentioned. Thanks for now, Moe
Old 07-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
supereal

Raise each wheel and turn it to check for wobble. It is unusual for studs to cause the problem unless one or more wheels have damaged mounting holes. These are caused by failure to properly tighten them at some time, allowing them to be "wallowed out". Too often we find shimmy caused by improper placement of a floor jack or hoist arm, resulting in bending of the tie rod or other component.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
coolcoupe

Supereal, I will check that out also. How would a person check for a slight bend in these areas besides the oblivious ?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #9
A bones

For me, i'd like to start out on a post ( 1 or 2 ) lift. Watching the tire treads spin, for wiggle or bump from the road's angle. ( looking as they slow for signs of major imbalance [ pendulum ]

I would NOTT assume that the performance of the 'operation' is the cause.

While under the car, test for any looseness. Having a helper at the wheel is big.
Shake shake Rock rock Push pull, Wiggle wiggle. Everything from the tire to the steering wheel.

Too much loose in any one place is a problem. Remember though, Some here, some there,... And there adds up to the same problem.

Yes 1931 Flamingo I forgot to mention to rule out the balance issue. At times though we get hung on a specific point and forget to step away and see the big picture.

Verify king pins, shackles, and spring U bolts conditions. If an anti-sway bar is employed, look for missing, loose parts or decayed rubber.

Always a caution, extended period of wobble on the road will degrade your joints. Don't let it, Travel below fifty. Good Luck.

P.S. Your Coupe is more than Cool It's beautiful

Last edited by A bones; 07-16-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: nice...
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Unless each weld (well) was exactly the same amount you've probably got hubs that are out of balance transferring to = shimmy. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote