Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
cas3

Default 34 3W door window/risor questions

i'm getting ready to finish up my doors and get some glass in them. i bought all the stuff from c&g, mostly vintique, whatever, looks fine to me. looking at the bottom channel that the glass sits in, i see a threaded hole, circled in yellow paint in my photo, and also i circled the knob at the bottom of the triangle shaped part near the end of the channel, hard to see from the glare in my bad pic. i am assuming these have something to do with the smokers window feature, and i assume i am missing something to make this function. just playing with the risor i dont see what would make the travel go front to back. also, looking thru all the channels and associated parts, it looks like this need to go together in a proper sequence or cursing and swearing will certainly be a big part of the project. any tips from the experienced would be appreciated, thanks, skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0600.jpg (43.9 KB, 74 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
johnboy34

Default Re: 34 3W door window/risor questions

Look at this. http://www.34ford.com/dbutcher/34for...NDOW_REGULATOR it helped me. You can set everything together on the bench to see how it all works. Sometimes the repo channels are off so beware.
PS; cussing may still be involved.
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
JayChicago

Based on what I learned with my 37 quarter windows last year I can offer this. May be a little different on your 34 door.

That little hole receives a short large head screw which acts as a stop to the regulator’s slide pin. When the slide pin hits this stop, it starts pushing the glass horizontally for the ventilator feature. That screw gets installed after glass is in place and slide pins are in the glass track. I didn’t find those screws available from the usual sources, but you could probably make one from a screw on hand. I got stop screws from “Roy the Regulator Guy”. (advertises in V8 Times)

I can’t see any knob in your picture. But I believe the triangle piece should have a pin or knob screwed into it. The regulator’s big cam engages the pin/knob to help raise the glass, and the flat side on the cam engages the pin/knob to push horizontally to close the ventilator. I think the pin is available from usual sources, think I got from Drake.

I would suggest before you install you should lay regulator and glass on a bench and learn how they go together and operate. When installing in the door, working thru the small openings in the door panel, it can be a real PITA.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
DavidG

Do you really want to use that dirty, rusty riser mechanism without cleaning it up first? I hope not as it will affect the operation of the window if you do.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
cas3

David, no i am not ready for installation, just trying to lay it all out and study to avoid my usual circumstance of try to put it together and realize i am missing some part, then waist shipping and time on one piece. actually, i know it looks brown in the photo, that regulator is mostly nice original paint. it will still get cleaned up, sadly the other side regulator looks to be salvaged from the ocean. remember this car was an abandoned wreck, now its a wreck in captivity! interesting link from johnboy, thanks for that effort, however my vintique window is opposite layout. i am working on the passenger door, as is the link photos, and my channel is stamped R. i'll provide a photo, but mine must be miss-marked. jay, i'll check the thread size, i am sure i can make whatever is needed for the stop screw, thanks. i had originally thought there must be a mechanical link that i am missing, but no, just the cam does the travel change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0601.JPG (78.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0602.JPG (54.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
Karl Wescott

The stop screw (that goes in the highlighted hole) should be a "No 10-32 x 11/32 special fillister head" per the 1938 "Hardware and Trimming Supplies" book.

The bottom glass channel appears to be one of the newer ones made by United Pacific, a great improvement over the "industria argentina" ones.

This regulator and bottom channel (with different channel lengths) was also used on the 1934-36 tudor sedan quarter window, and a very similar setups (with the set screw) on 1937-48 tudor sedan quarter windows.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
johnboy34

The channel in your picture is for the left side. The link I put above was to show you how they operate. A 3 window, 5 window, 34 sedan (all windows) 35 to 40 rear sedan windows all work the same way. The channels and glass are different sizes. The V8 Ford 34 restoration book has all the channels listed, year & sizes. The repos I bought were all wrong! The drop down piece with the stud was in the wrong place on the channel, the stud was too low and bound in the regulator. I removed the studs, welded up the holes, then drilled new holes for the later studs. These- https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...d-9e2961b8e572
The threaded hole for the stop pin in the channel was in the wrong place also, More welding, (I welded a tiny nut to the back after figuring out where they went) I found new ones on ebay, they are a screw with a double tall head for the roller to push on. Complicated (insert cussing) to figure out, pretty simple once figured out (insert smile). Then after all that the glass has to be in the exact right place in the channel or it will bind. A masonite template can be beneficial for this part, put regulator in door, add channel, some rubber stripes or double side tape to hold masonite in channel for a test run. being able to slide the masonite front and back till you have it working correct. I recommend patience.
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
cas3

thank you all. i looked at my other channel, its marked L , but is clearly the right side. even the label on the boxes were backwards, but at least they did not send two of one side! i bought some masonite today, will play around a bit tomorrow to see if i can make it work thanks, skip