Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
Ten1nis

Default Local Clubs

I was recently elected the director of our local Model A club. I am looking for new/different ideas and events to propose to the membership, numbering about 50 individuals. What do you guys like best about your local clubs, (tours, tech sessions, socializing, etc.). Thanks for your ideas!
Ten1nis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Re: Local Clubs

Good luck with your role! Garage tours, especially if you can arrange anything with some of the bigger collections in your area, Model A or otherwise. MARC and AACA have opened doors for me to see some stuff that as an individual hobbyist it would be unlikely otherwise.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

We have monthly business meetings on the third Tuesday night of the month, and regular tech meetings on Thursday night two days later. We meet in the school cafeteria, so no summer tech meetings. Coffee socials, tune up clinics, and tours are all good.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Try to break up the Cliques', so folks get to know each other better.
Bill W.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten1nis View Post
What do you guys like best about your local clubs, (tours, tech sessions, socializing, etc.). Thanks for your ideas!
Yes

You are not going to please everybody so have a variety of different things. Try to hit on the interest of all the members, that is if some like to tour, have a tour of two, some like to sit at a show go to a show or two, i'm sure you get the idea.

Mike (6 time director of the Florida Gold Coast Region)

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-08-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
700rpm

Just keep telling yourself (and reminding your members) "This is a car club. It's all about the cars." This philosophy will get you past a lot of the petty personal politics that seem endemic to any organization of more than three people, and will inspire you to create fun car activities.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

To be successful, a good Model A club needs to have:
>Interesting club meetings. A balanced mix of business, social and technical agenda;
>A good newsletter;
>Good Model A activities, at least one per month and not tagging onto another clubs activities. Focus on driving Model A's to places.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
P.S.

Work on the cars!! There are 3 Model A clubs within a 30 mile distance of me that I won't join because all they care about is the socializing. Instead, I had to join a Model A club 60 miles away because that is the closest club that actually works on the cars monthly (or more often if needed).

My cars don't need work anymore, but I go and work on other member's Model As. It is the best kind of socializing when you are all working on the cars. The shop humor and teasing is the best part.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #9
JohnLaVoy

Our local club has the ladies meet for lunch once a month. Let's them get to know each other. The lunch moves around a different lady "hosts" it but finding a location to have it and make the reservation. It lets them talk about us while we aren't there! LOL
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Our local club has the ladies meet for lunch once a month. Let's them get to know each other. The lunch moves around a different lady "hosts" it but finding a location to have it and make the reservation. It lets them talk about us while we aren't there! LOL
John,
One "problem" is that many guys, like me, were used to most of the clubs in the '50's, being just GUY STUFF. But, I wish Pat were still here to "TALK" about me!
Bill W.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
barkleydave

A common evolution of some clubs is they become a monthly "Eat & Meet and Run"
Our club meets monthly and we are diverse we have a work day, a couple of tours, and special visits to Retirement Homes, and various Cruise-Ins. Too much "Eat and Meet" will tend to discourage younger members joining the club. New membership is critical to survival of our clubs! If your club does not have an Internet presence create one! Facebook, Forums, E mail etc. Newer members and many of our senior members are on Facebook. (Grand Kids etc.) I am trying to do our Newsletter via E mail and Facebook. It has become very expensive to print the newsletter. Our club ... costs approx. $35 per year to send out a printed news letter per membership. Our dues are $24 per year! Check out our Forum:
http://wkymarc.freeforums.org/wky-marc-f3.html

Or our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/174129506276856/

Best of luck!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
barnstuf

The club in my area does not rely on one person to plan events, nor just a few officers to do this. We have a special planning meeting every 6 months, any member who wishes to attend is welcomed, and meeting programs and events are planned for 6 months. This system has worked well for many years.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
Scott Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
To be successful, a good Model A club needs to have:
>Interesting club meetings. A balanced mix of business, social and technical agenda;
>A good newsletter;
>Good Model A activities, at least one per month and not tagging onto another clubs activities. Focus on driving Model A's to places.
This is the basics that the Dayton Buckeye Model A Ford Club in Ohio has used for 50 years now. Take Bob's advice and adapt it to fit your clubs needs. Also get the club affiliated with the national clubs.(MARC and MAFCA)

Scott Hall DBMAFC president 2015 and 2016
Scott Hall is offline   Reply With Quote