Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #21
Arlen

Default Re: Paint or Powder Coat?

If you have pits, powder coat will work over J B Weld. Full the pits, file smooth, then coat. I powder coat my entire chassis and its bullet proof
Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #22
QGolden

Yes JB Weld is awesone stuff, I once filled a cracked head with it. Ran it 10 Thousand miles, sold it to a fellow who ran it another 10. However, PC requires conductivity to work, and JB Weld is not any more conductive than Bondo. You also need to be sure not to trap air bubbles, as the powdered part will be heated. Arlen's sucess was dependent upon the thickness of the JB Weld. There are conductive Epoxy substrate coatings that work better. Pick your Powder Coater before you do your fill work and use what he recomends.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown

Last edited by QGolden; 08-09-2013 at 08:11 AM.
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
If . I powder coat my entire chassis and its bullet proof
so did i but didnt test it out yet.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

I debated with myself about entering this fray, finally succumbed! I wanted to powder coat my wheels in the worst way, for a while. A friend who is familiar with paints and coatings warned me away from it. He pointed out the rust and decay on his son's late model International truck. This truck is not housed, it's out in the weather. The PC was a shell where the metal used to be. Another example would be to go to the local marina and seeing the rust damage to the boat trailers that have been PCed. PC Looks great! No doubt about it! It does seem to be more resistant to pebbles. But moisture is sneaky. You don't see it happening until the metal is gone. If you keep your car in a garage and out of the weather, go for it. If will get wet, even occasionally, I would go with paint. No I don't hate Powder Coating!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I debated with myself about entering this fray, finally succumbed! I wanted to powder coat my wheels in the worst way, for a while. A friend who is familiar with paints and coatings warned me away from it. He pointed out the rust and decay on his son's late model International truck. This truck is not housed, it's out in the weather. The PC was a shell where the metal used to be. Another example would be to go to the local marina and seeing the rust damage to the boat trailers that have been PCed. PC Looks great! No doubt about it! It does seem to be more resistant to pebbles. But moisture is sneaky. You don't see it happening until the metal is gone. If you keep your car in a garage and out of the weather, go for it. If will get wet, even occasionally, I would go with paint. No I don't hate Powder Coating!
Terry
There are two kinds of powder coating: Excellent and Crappy. I must be lucky as my PC jobs on cars, boat trailer and marine accessories still look great after 15 years. And, you get exactly what you pay for.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
There are two kinds of powder coating: Excellent and Crappy. I must be lucky as my PC jobs on cars, boat trailer and marine accessories still look great after 15 years. And, you get exactly what you pay for.
10-4 on that
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
28ACoupe

Paint them. No reason to do otherwise. If you have the painter put a flex additive to the paint, it will be much more durable.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote