Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2020, 05:26 AM   #41
HDowse

Default Re: New toy....

Great looking car! I have turn signals and seat belts installed in my Fordor. They came from Electro-Tech (turnswitch.com). It's an electronic unit that you fit on the inside of the firewall and can either use a standard lever on the steering column or, as I did, use a small two way toggle under the dash to the left of the column in one of the existing holes. I wired the unit to amber add on lights in front and add on red lights rear. i did that to insure visibility. I also wired my brake lights to go on with the add on rear lights. The lights came from Joe's Antique Auto, an excellent vendor, and are listed in his catalog as Parking/Turn Signal Lights (Non-Original). They come with 12v bulbs.
I fit seat belts front and back, drilling through the floor pan and used backing washers. Those came from Snyder's and the tan color is a good choice for the stock interior.
BTW, did your car come out of Cotuit MA? There's been one just like yours on Hemmings for a while at a good price. My wife and I use the Fordor all the time and love it. Good luck with your new car and let me know if you want any other info on the turn signals and seat belts.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:36 AM   #42
HDowse

I found the hinge pin mirror size inadequate, too. I bought two convex mirror heads from Joe's Antique Auto and replaced the flat mirror heads on both sides with the convex ones. I really like the added range of view and the fact that the size is still stock.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #43
Terry,OH

Air cleaner is not commercial but rather a accessory Heavy Duty oil bath that is at home both commercial as well as passenger.

Very typical for the throttle knob to slide back to the rest position. How often will you need it?

Nice Car. congratulations.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #44
51504bat

This is a better photo of the 5 inch mirror install on the hinge pin arm that I did on my '39 p/u. The threaded stud on the 5 inch mirror wasn't long enough to extend far enough through the bracket to allow a nut to secure it. I used the insert shown. It's not pretty but functional. For a car as nice as yours you could either find a mirror with a longer stud, mill down the bracket where the stud goes through or maybe even use something like a helicoil to allow the mirror stud to thread directly into the bracket instead of the insert I used. I'm sure there are other options as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror.jpg (37.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #45
51504bat

At least the air cleaner didn't look like this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4086.jpg (5.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4087.jpg (4.9 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by 51504bat; 05-11-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Photo
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #46
Wyhomie

Nice 39 Pickup. I've got a 1939 here in Wyoming and it's quite hard to get parts.
Gotta love the old "Big Nose" certainly unique and not part of the "40" look alikes, although they are beautiful.
Wyhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #47
41panelmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDowse View Post
Great looking car! I have turn signals and seat belts installed in my Fordor. They came from Electro-Tech (turnswitch.com). It's an electronic unit that you fit on the inside of the firewall and can either use a standard lever on the steering column or, as I did, use a small two way toggle under the dash to the left of the column in one of the existing holes. I wired the unit to amber add on lights in front and add on red lights rear. i did that to insure visibility. I also wired my brake lights to go on with the add on rear lights. The lights came from Joe's Antique Auto, an excellent vendor, and are listed in his catalog as Parking/Turn Signal Lights (Non-Original). They come with 12v bulbs.
I fit seat belts front and back, drilling through the floor pan and used backing washers. Those came from Snyder's and the tan color is a good choice for the stock interior.
BTW, did your car come out of Cotuit MA? There's been one just like yours on Hemmings for a while at a good price. My wife and I use the Fordor all the time and love it. Good luck with your new car and let me know if you want any other info on the turn signals and seat belts.

Thanks for all of this and no, the car has been in Colorado for many years.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #48
41panelmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Air cleaner is not commercial but rather a accessory Heavy Duty oil bath that is at home both commercial as well as passenger.

Very typical for the throttle knob to slide back to the rest position. How often will you need it?

Nice Car. congratulations.
Thanks, it does get cool here at times and boy oh boy these old engines can be cold blooded. That is why I wanted the throttle to work so I could allow it to warm up when needed.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #49
alanwoodieman

slip a small piece of metal into the rubber bushing that the throttle knob shaft goes thru-that is what I did for a quick fix. pictures are of speedway lights used as turn signals on 40 coupe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3130012.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P3130013.jpg (60.9 KB, 13 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #50
Fredb_

Very nice sedan
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote