Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Aok

Default A affordable oil fiter Copper tube does not fit

Been trying to install the copper pick up tube. It goes in about 1/4" maybe a little less then stops. Seems like there is a ridge or lip at the bottom stopping the tube. I could file the ridge but that would require removing the oil pan and having a newly rebuilt engine do not want to drop the oil pan just to add this filter unit.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: A affordable oil fiter Copper tube does not fit

Was the filter on that block before rebuilding it?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Aok

No my old block was in bad shape I purchased a rebuilt engine complete with the block from Antique Engine Rebuilding.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Dave in MN

Sounds like you are trying to insert the copper tube of an A-Ford-Able oil filter system into the oil delivery tube in the front dam area of the valve chamber. If so, read on:
First check to see if there is an obstruction in the opening of the oil supply tube. You may need a small inspection mirror. If so, work it out of the opening.

If no obstruction....The fit is snug; Apply some good grease to the supply opening and the copper pipe. You will need to work the pipe into the delivery hole by rotating the copper tube and holding pressure on the tube, forcing it into the tube. I often use small hammer handle to pry against the forward side of the valve chamber opening while placing it against the lower area of the copper tubing. Do not use such force as to bend the nice arc they have in the copper tube. By rotating the pipe back and forth and keeping pressure on it, the copper will be formed to the supply galley or cast in place steel tube.

If this description is not clear, let me know and I will dummy up an installation and take some photos and post them this evening or tomorrow morning. I have a filter kit in stock so it is not much trouble to do so.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-21-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Dave, how far in does the copper tubing go?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Phred

I had the opposite challenge a few years ago, the tube was a loose fit into the galley fill outlet. I put a small flare at the end of the pick up tube with a brake flaring tool to tighten the fit (allowing more of/all the oil to get captured and sent to the filter.

If you cannot clean out/enlarge the galley fill and Dave MN's suggestion does not work, I suppose you could trim the end of the pick up tube so it goes in as far as possible and still lines up at the filter inlet hole in the valve cover. I you have 1/4" of insertion I would imagine that would be fine.

Hope this is of help.
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #7
Aok

It goes in the hole but hangs at the end. I took a photo arrow is when it rubs . Tried a few times filled off where it hung and it keeps hanging in the same place. I just purchased this but may just return it if I can . I usually change my oil every 500 miles or less and there is a lot of oil changes in $ 169.00 !

Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Dave, how far in does the copper tubing go?
It should go in at least an inch.

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-21-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok View Post
It goes in the hole but hangs at the end. I took a photo arrow is when it rubs . Tried a few times filled off where it hung and it keeps hanging in the same place. I just purchased this but may just return it if I can . I usually change my oil every 500 miles or less and there is a lot of oil changes in $ 169.00 !

That deformation is pretty typical. I will mock up an install and post some photos for you shortly.
Good Day!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Dave in MN

The pipe goes in as much as 1.30" if you are not fighting it. If you get it in about 1" you will be fine. Only going in an inch, the arc will need to be tightened some to let the pipe rotate back against the lifter boss. The lifter boss keeps it from coming out by vibration or oil pressure.
The first photo shows using a pry tool. Second shows the small hammer handle.
Final photo shows it in position.
Hope the photos help.
Wouldn't you know...the block I am cleaning up...the copper pipe just slid in with slight finger pressure. Most I install though are a fight.

The filter is worth the effort...Don't give up!
Good luck and Good Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (54.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (50.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (57.0 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-21-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Aok

Thanks Dave the photos are great. I have learned over many years that if something does not fit don't force it. I will try again tomorrow with some lubrication.
Ed
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #12
SAJ

Aok, I have installed several, and each one has hung up like yours after only 1/4 inch. Attempts at twisting and levering it in cut and damaged the tube ends, because I suspect the tubes had grains of casting sand inside near the entrance. The copper was being machined away and grooved as I tried to insert.
So I took an old 5/16 drill, cut it off a bit shorter (measure the max length so it will just fit inside the valve chest), ground, by hand, a rough hexagon to fit a small flat ratchet screwdriver that came from Sears, (and I have another set from Harbor Freight.) They come with stubby hex tips and screwdriver heads etc. The Sears one is made by General Hardware Mnfg. Co New York USA.
Put a rag in the spill hole into the timing case, in case you drop the stub drill. Set the stub drill into the driver, set the ratchet to "screw in" and drill the hole clear. Then blow the drillings (sand mostly in my case) into an oily or wet rag (so they stick and not bounce) by putting an air nozzle into the plug hole in the block below the valve cover.
Bear in mind the filter will catch any drillings left in the pipe before they get into the engine, but blow it clear anyway. Clean away any drillings that backed out into the valve chamber.
Please ignore the very short stub drill in my photo, made from a broken 5/16 centre drill and brazed onto a stub cut from an Allen key. This one is too short and this method too long-winded anyway. The longer 5/16 drill with a hand ground hex on the end takes only a few minutes to make. The hex does not have to be that accurate since the drilling force is not great.
This method makes a neat job, and is quite quick.
I do have a filter tube only inserted to about 1/2 inch on one car which works OK, but decided to do it properly on the next few.
SAJ in NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil filter tube drill.jpg (82.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg oil filter tube drill mounted.jpg (80.4 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by SAJ; 04-21-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #13
Aok

SAJ: I like that mini hand reamer.

I have the tube in moving ok now flied it a little and polished it with crocus cloth, just have to get the alignment with the hole in the cover adjusted which should not be a problem.