Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
jfleach1

Default 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Howdy, new on the forum. In 1960, I had a beautiful yellow 1954 Mercury hardtop. After all those years, I have relived the dream. Just brought home a lovely '54 Sun Valley. Memories fade. I haven't driven a manual steering car of any vintage in years. And I can't drive this one I have had recent carpal tunnel surgery and am need of rotator cuff surgery. Sooo, I'd like to have the conversion done. I have searched this forum and others and read a bit about it. I'd love to hear some specifics, especially from anyone who has actually done the job. First thing is, is it the same job as would be on a '54 Ford. Many parts places I have searched show only the Ford parts, and one said they had the Ford parts, but not the Mercury. I live in Tallahassee, FL, and have found a guy who doles restorations and reportedly does fine work. He has never done this job before. One concern is just knowing the complete list of parts I need. Advertised prices for kits run from $600 to $1200. I don't want to overpay, but I also want to make sure that I have every piece necessary. Other things my mechanic would like to know ahead of time involve any cutting or machining, motor removal for crankshaft pulley, etc. I have talked to Tony at Jamco, and he was helpful and knowledgeable, but would like info from anyone on this forum. Many Thanks.
jfleach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
jfleach1

Default Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Forgot to mention,,I have also read somewhere that the steering column column length might have to be altered?
Old 08-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
Ole Don

I have done a P/S conversion on a 54, and 55 Ford. With stock parts, it was easy. Stock parts are becoming expensive and very hard to find. One place, the name I can't say right now, is in Cambridge Minnesota. They do outstanding work for a very reasonable cost. If I had to do one today, I would seriously consider a modern electric P/S. Your only downside there is the car would need to be converted to 12 volts. Good luck with your shoulder, been there, done that, its a bitch.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Dobie Gillis

Welcome to the forum! I was looking for a '54 Merc when I found my '55. As far as I know if you're wanting to use vintage PS parts no modification to the steering column is needed. The dealers actually could install power steering back in the day. If you're going the electric power steering route the column will need to be cut to install the EPS motor. That means you'll either need to convert to floor shift, whether manual or Merc-O-Matic, or fab up a linkage modification for the column shift.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
jfleach1

I do want to go with a new unit, not vintage, because I believe that, while not authentic, would drive much better, and I intend to drive it. At least one kit says it reduces steering ratio to14:1. That sounds good to me. The transmission is automatic. I Have absolutely no idea how you would alter the size of the steering column. I have visions of taking a saw to the column. Night sweats. I will share info from this forum with my mechanic friend, and he will, no doubt know other questions to ask. Thanks again to all. Long ago I did my own work, never was I a mechanic, but I got it done. These days, I forget what I went out to the garage for. I am really excited about te new toy.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
Dobie Gillis

Here's a link to a kit for a '55 Crown Vic which would be similar to your Merc. Spendy but looks pretty complete and straightforward.

https://epasperformance.com/products...crown-victoria
Old 08-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #7
miker98038

My 55 bird has a power quick ratio rack and pinion. Aftermarket column. Custom tie rods, nothing stock from the wheel to the steering arms on the spindle. Drives great. But the cost/improvement ratio was ridiculous. I would not do it again.

When I bought the car it was manual steering with a worn out box. I replaced the box and added the power steering parts. They were pretty available in 1999 and not terribly pricey. Car drove pretty well. The old ram systems tend to drip a little oil once in a while, and they’re not as sharp in response as modern cars. But a lot of that is front end geometry, available caster/camber settings, and tires. Those can be altered too, but that’s another story.

If the Merc is like the Fords, the steering shaft is one piece from the box to the wheel, and the whole column slides off. So it’s remove and cut the shaft, shorten the column, add a lower bearing, add a mount at the floorboards, etc. Not simple. So I guess what I’m saying is look real close at what you’re doing. You can spend a lot of money and not get what you expect compared to finding the OEM parts.

Dobie’s link addresses much of this, but some of it isn’t as easy as it sounds.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:35 PM   #8
evintho

Cool Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

electric power steering from a Saturn Vue into '54 Ford Customline - how to
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #9
Dobie Gillis

Before you do anything you should give careful thought to the use you will put the car to. How often do you think you'll be in tight maneuvering situations? How often will you need to practice the dying art of parallel parking? Using the above kit as an example, the cost will be somewhere north of 2 grand when it's all said and done, including the kit, the labor and shop materials to install it. It can be done a little cheaper if you're willing to use salvage yard parts but it still won't be particularly cheap. Going with a vintage system will be substantially less even at today's prices. I'm betting the '54/'55/'56 Ford system will work on your Merc (I'm a poet and don't know it) with little or no modifications.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Quote:
Just brought home a lovely '54 Sun Valley
IMO

If the car is nice and a survivor, the last thing I would want to do is butcher the car for a later PS SYSTEM. Not only is it a pain unless you have a shop (OR $$$) but it ruins the re-sale value of the car. If it was a run-of-the-mill MERC and was to be a resto-mod or something of the sort, possibly.

But a nice SUN VALLEY? It needs the OEM PS that has been completely gone through.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
5851a

^X2 I would spend the time and money on original set up. The linkage systems worked fine on all I drove with it. The original will be easier to steer, nearly effortless. Modern systems seem to have to much effort for me. I've had both shoulders done and both wrists and long to drive with a finger again. Unless at complete stand still radial tires helped with steering on my 58, but not as much as power steering.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
Dobie Gillis

Early power steering was mostly nothing more than a hydraulic ram system superimposed on a manual system. There was no variability to the force they applied, so maneuvering at low speeds was quite easy, but they had practically no road feel at highway speeds. They were tuned so the Little Lady could maneuver a 2 ton car with her little finger. Look at some ads from the era featuring power steering.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Remember the discussion a little while back regarding the poster that bought a take-off kit for his BIRD? The BIRD SPECIALTY SHOPS buy these kits from some vendor so they have to be available.

It's either that or contact a SALVAGE YARD in AZ that specializes in old cars and see if they have a donor. Either have done or DIY the hydraulics so you have some QC on the install.

There is much info on the later BENDIX designs but little on this period.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 08-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #14
Merc Cruzer

This is one for a 53' Merc, very hard or find a complete one, but should be very similar to the 54'. The 53's had a single cast triple crankshaft pulley, whereas the 54's has a stamped pulley that bolted on. Different engine bracket too for the 54's.

The later ones should be easier to find, since it would have been a more common option. The same basic system, was also used on my wife's 1970 Cougar.

You are right when saying they have no feel on the road, but the trade off when parking is worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6177.jpg (38.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 08-28-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
lannysv

Welcome to the world of Sun Valley owners. Mine is a 3 speed with OD and no power steering and I get by fine, even when towing my vintage trailer. It seems there was a thread recently in parts wanted for all the necessary parts for power steering. I, too, have had full shoulder replacement and now the other is going south. I have two small PS parts in my stash if you may need them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG_2614.jpg (77.9 KB, 11 views)
lannysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #16
Merc Cruzer

jfleach1,

Just wondering, did you decide on a PS system?

The trailer is a Shasta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8466.jpg (73.5 KB, 8 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #17
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

- MERCURY PS INSTALL KIT - DEALER -

You never know until you ask - https://www.lincolnoldparts.com/?Ses...a262697e73608c

See attachment below -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS INSTALL KIT - 1954 MERC - MEK-33304-C.jpg (20.1 KB, 15 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 09-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Quote:
i, too, have had full shoulder replacement and now the other is going south.
!!! Damn !!!
Old 09-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

In my opinion, your best bet would be to get a rebuilt OEM power assist system. They are fully bolt-on without any modifications to the existing steering column. And it would only add to the value of your Merc Sun Valley.
New hoses, rebuilt pump, control valve and ram cylinder are available via some repro parts suppliers or you can deal directly with LARES MFG. www.larescorp.com
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #20
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1954 Merc powere steering conversion.

Those are only the hydraulic parts Dave. He would still need all of the linkages and brackets.

- WHY IS IT ... -