Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default Adding power brakes to the 53

I briefly asked this question a while back, but never followed through. My 53 Merc was not equipped with power brakes and I was wondering if a booster kit would improve the reliability in stopping these old heavy cars. I'm not real confident in the old single master set up, as we all know what can happen if a line breaks.....all 4 brakes fail too. I've had that happen once many years ago, and of course had to rely on the emergency brake and it's not a good situation at all.

I'd like to get a booster with a duel master setup and have the extra safety of two separate systems, if one fails.

With that said, what are folks experiences with such a conversion, what kind of kit do I need (brand and where to buy it) and are you happy with the results?

The last thing I want is to see my investment as well as safety relying on a brake system that could be a potential disaster. I'm sure you all can relate.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Adding power brakes to the 53

There are power booster/master cylinder kits available such as this--

https://westernchassis.com/1952-56-M...ke-Conversion/

Or you could further upgrade by adding front disc brakes.
Did mine and its like driving a new car.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Dan Wade

Send a message via AIM to Dan Wade

What Brake Master Cylinder with duel tanks will work on a 1953 Ford Mainline, I really do not need the Power Booster, as I am only running a 6 Cyl engine. Any suggestions that will not require a lot of modifications appreciated.
Dan Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wade View Post
What Brake Master Cylinder with duel tanks will work on a 1953 Ford Mainline, I really do not need the Power Booster, as I am only running a 6 Cyl engine. Any suggestions that will not require a lot of modifications appreciated.
A dual master cylinder will not make it stop any better than the original single cylinder.
And whether it's 6 or 8cyl makes no difference they both weigh about the same and go about the same speed.
If you want more up to date braking install dual master with the booster.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:48 PM   #5
Dan Wade

Send a message via AIM to Dan Wade
Question Re: Adding power brakes to the 53

So, if you have to replace the old single tank Master, it is not worth trying to upgrade to make an old car slightly safer by adding a double tank master cylinder? In case of leaking wheel cylinders, or a corroded ruptured leaking brake line?
Dan Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #6
tubman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wade View Post
So, if you have to replace the old single tank Master, it is not worth trying to upgrade to make an old car slightly safer by adding a double tank master cylinder? In case of leaking wheel cylinders, or a corroded ruptured leaking brake line?
Only if it is done correctly. In the case you are referencing, your time and money would be much better spent upgrading those "leaking wheel cylinders, or ... corroded ruptured leaking brake line(s)" that you mention rather than upgrading to a two chamber master cylinder, especially if it is not properly matched to the rest of the system and does not have the proper proportioning and residual valves installed.

The brake system on an automobile is exactly that; a SYSTEM. All parts must be compatible and work together properly, or you risk a system that may fail when you most need it.

Last edited by tubman; 08-26-2021 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:09 AM   #7
Tom-MI

Ford produced a power brake set up using a Midland booster. It was used on many product lines up until the 1960s. GM did the same.

I installed the Midland booster on my '35 (simple to do) in an afternoon. Result: It takes some getting use to the system. When I now hit the brakes the car really understands what it is suppose to do!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0650.JPG (86.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IM000828-1.JPG (118.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 001-Hydrovac-001.jpg (111.5 KB, 26 views)
Tom-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-MI View Post
I installed the Midland booster on my '35 (simple to do) in an afternoon. Result: It takes some getting use to the system. When I now hit the brakes the car really understands what it is suppose to do! Tom

Nice work!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote