Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #21
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: How do I get behind the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Put your right foot in
slide your butt on the seat
pull your left foot in
shake it all about
[no running board involvement]
Exactly... And DON'T yank on the steering wheel... Exit, reverse order, again no running board involvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I can't easily get my right leg between the shift lever and the steering wheel to hit the brake, especially in low gear. That is dangerous!
I have that problem also, even tho the seatin my Town Sedan is moved back ~3". Luckily you can't go too fast in first.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-26-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #22
Bulligen

Getting in is just like getting into a WWII Jeep. You put your right leg in first then slide into the seat and then move your butt as far as you need to to right in order to get your left leg and foot in. An old jeep is much worse than a Model A! Remember most of the guys that drove those jeeps were 19 to 25 years old and skinny!!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #23
Y-Blockhead

Another thought. Check your door check arms. The ones that were on my front doors were too short and did not allow the doors to open all the way. After I changed to the correct ones, entry was a little easier.

http://brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID...=any&PT_ID=all

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-26-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlybits View Post
Want a challenge?

I basically step right foot in and plant butt on seat, then put left foot up on running board, push with left foot and slide the rest of the way in, then left pull left foot in.
I'm 1.8 m tall and weigh about 90 kg. If you reverse left and right, this is how I enter and exit my '29 Phaeton. I don't use the running board at all nor the steering wheel to drag myself in.
Whilst the driving position is a little cramped, I still love driving the A.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #25
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I'm 6'2", 210 lbs, chest 46, waist 32, thigh 26, biceps 18 and how do I get in and out of my 31 with two petite lady friends already inside????? Very carefully, slowly and with a big smile on my face!!!! For sure!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #26
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have the same problem as Dean in Bozeman. I am about the same size 6' 4" and 220 lbs. I can get in my 28 coupe without too much trouble, but I can't safely drive it. I can't easily get my right leg between the shift lever and the steering wheel to hit the brake, especially in low gear. That is dangerous! Luckily, I enjoy making a rusted hulk into a car that is close to how it came off the assembly line. Driving is secondary for me. I know a lot of people are just the opposite and like to drive their A's verses restoring them and I would to if I weren't so tall.
Rusty Nelson
This all has to do with your knee getting trapped behind the steering wheel. I solved the problem in my 29 tudor, and all it took was a little muscle power. Check out my post (#4) in this thread: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...8#post1085178"
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #27
harleytoprock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlybits View Post
Want a challenge?

I basically step right foot in and plant butt on seat, then put left foot up on running board, push with left foot and slide the rest of the way in, then left pull left foot in.
That's basically how I enter my tudor. My problem is getting the left foot in. I have to twist my foot and ankle to get past the opening. People must have been smaller in the 1920's.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #28
Victoria31

I had the same problem and concern about getting to the break pedal while in first gear. A friend gave me the solution. I removed the skift tower and tok it to a machine shop. I explained that i wanted to bend the shift lever about 3 inches to the right from the base. The machinist put it in a press, blocked it up and bent it. It worked great and it does not interfer with the passenger at all. You really cant notice the change but I can when it comes to getting to the break in first gear and being able to drive safely. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Victoria31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

Due to Polio, in 1937, I have no knee strength. In my '30 Coupe, Minerva's Era, just out of re-hab from a hallucinating bout with Flexerill, a muscle relaxant, trying to get in the car & ended up on my right side, layin' across the seat! Struggling to sit up, ended up on the same right side, in the FLOOR, with the shifter between my 4th & 5th RIBS, shifted into second with my ELBOW! Somehow slithered feet first & ended up sittin' dejected, & PO'd, on the running board.
SOMEHOW??? I got back in the car, in a civilized position. 5 year old 6 Volt battery & NO charging for 3 MONTHS, GOD! she cranks over GOOD! Wouldn't start, gas guage on the BIG "E"--"Well I guess the evaporation GREMLIN took my gas"---EXHAUSTED, I finally fell in bed. At 2:07 A.M, sat straight up in bed,--"You dumb ASS, you forgot to turn on the crappy, sticky, old GAS VALVE!
Next day, which was Tuesday, stood alongside my Faithful Minerva, reached in & put all the controls in the proper & safe positions, pushed my RED, "modern" starter button, & without even choking her, slowly, she said,--TADA-TADA-TADA-TADA & with a SHOT to her hand throttle, Minervas' NASCAR EXHAUST SYSTEM barked to LIFE & I heard Tony announce,--"BILL'S BACK"!!!
I "guess", in my absence, the gas guage cork got LONELY & just shriveled & DIED!
SO, you think you have TRUBBLES???
This ACCOUNT is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, even Me & my Dog couldn't make up such a BIZARRE story! It was like a KOOKEY DREAM!
Bill W.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #30
Bruce,Upstate NY

I've had many body styles. My keeper is a tudor. Put the seat back as far as you'd like.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #31
31Abone

Cabriolet are easier,doors are 4" wider than a roadster or phaeton 1931
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #32
CarlG

When you get over laughing at all the contortions to get in these cars, then just try getting in a pickup!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #33
DennisR

Well, that brought some answers, by the way mine is a 1930 Coupe lhd. I have endless fun inviting people to sit in the drivers seat, especially the ladies. I get lots of suggestions, fit a sunroof and climb in, lose weight, open the window and swing in, sell it (to the person who made the suggestion), if nothing else I have a lot more friends now !!!
"Harleytoprock" has the same problem as me, getting the left foot in, but what the heck, it`s good for a laugh and certainly breaks the ice.............
Old 07-27-2015, 03:05 AM   #34
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I'm 6'2", 210 lbs, chest 46, waist 32, thigh 26, biceps 18 and how do I get in and out of my 31 with two petite lady friends already inside????? Very carefully, slowly and with a big smile on my face!!!! For sure!!!!
... and I suppose it helps to get rid of all that troublesome, bulky clothing?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #35
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria31 View Post
I had the same problem and concern about getting to the break pedal while in first gear. A friend gave me the solution. I removed the skift tower and tok it to a machine shop. I explained that i wanted to bend the shift lever about 3 inches to the right from the base. The machinist put it in a press, blocked it up and bent it. It worked great and it does not interfer with the passenger at all. You really cant notice the change but I can when it comes to getting to the break in first gear and being able to drive safely. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Same solution, but no machine shop. I just used a little muscle power to pursued the shift lever to lean a little toward the passenger side. It bent easily.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #36
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
... and I suppose it helps to get rid of all that troublesome, bulky clothing?
Having a roadster or even better, a delivery van, always comes to mind when removing bulky clothing in my coupe.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 07-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #37
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisR View Post
I have endless fun inviting people to sit in the drivers seat, especially the ladies.............

I concur, 100%..............

Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #38
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
When you get over laughing at all the contortions to get in these cars, then just try getting in a pickup!
Carl,
I envy you, with your pickup, I wanted one SO BAD, BUT, my braces wouldn't FIT. I even searched for a bed liner for one, NO DICE!
'28 & '29's are even MORE crowded. Ted built a FABULOUS '29 pickup, even squeeked in A.C, with its' condenser mounted under the bed! It was MISERABLE for him & Naomi to ride in, SO, he sold it. I've seen some '28 & '29's sold MULTIPLE times, because of NO ROOM!
Wonder how Henry fared in one? His pics look as if he was fairly TALL.
Bill W.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #39
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Having a roadster or even better, a delivery van, always comes to mind when removing bulky clothing in my coupe.
That's it! Strip down, cover yourself with 30 wt and slide right in! Oh, better use 10W in winter.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #40
holdover

I have a '29 coupe and a '29 CCPU and two bad knees, plus 5'10" 240. The only way that works for me is butt in first, slide across the seat till legs clear door opening, then drop legs down and slide over. To get out slide over to passenger side, lift legs on to seat, then slide out drivers side. If it weren't for the knees it wouldn't be so bad.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote