Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
Rick Leavitt

Default Fuel pump issues

I went to start my 41 Merc to let her run for a bit and exercise the old flathead and it won't start. There's no fuel getting to carb. So, I ordered a rebuild kit for the pump, when I took the fuel pump apart, I didn't see any damages but I rebuilt it anyways. I'm still not getting fuel to the carb. There's only 41,000 miles on the car so I don't think it's the push rod which looked good. I did add a glass bowl fuel filter a few months ago because there wasn't one on the pump.But that was working fine.
Rick Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Fuel pump issues

Is it a possibility that you run ethanol fuel and IF so then is the rubber fuel line from the firewall to the fuel pump possibly gummed up and blocked as its not one rated for today's ethanol fuel??? ALSO depending on age those can get cracked so make sure its good and solid and didn't get compromised when you loosened it to remove your fuel pump. Second, are you sure all of the fittings are tight and NOT sucking in air?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #3
marko39

Check gasket on glass bowl, it may have dried out. If you have a rubber line check that to verify its good and not leaking air or collapsed . Blow air back through fuel line to make sure it’s open. Will it start if you squirt some gas in carb?
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #4
jimTN

if you want to get energetic, remove the pump with the flex line still on it and hold the pump arm against the engine or stand and pump it by pushing on the pump. If it does not pump gas, start with the sediment bowl and go from there for a leak.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #5
Rick Leavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
Check gasket on glass bowl, it may have dried out. If you have a rubber line check that to verify its good and not leaking air or collapsed . Blow air back through fuel line to make sure it’s open. Will it start if you squirt some gas in carb?
Yes, once I put fuel in the carb, she fires right up. I will check the rubber fuel line.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Rick Leavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Is it a possibility that you run ethanol fuel and IF so then is the rubber fuel line from the firewall to the fuel pump possibly gummed up and blocked as its not one rated for today's ethanol fuel??? ALSO depending on age those can get cracked so make sure its good and solid and didn't get compromised when you loosened it to remove your fuel pump. Second, are you sure all of the fittings are tight and NOT sucking in air?

I will tighten everything and double check for leaks
Old 01-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Remove the gas cap and blow into the tank to force fuel to the carburetor to prime the pump.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
Rick Leavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
if you want to get energetic, remove the pump with the flex line still on it and hold the pump arm against the engine or stand and pump it by pushing on the pump. If it does not pump gas, start with the sediment bowl and go from there for a leak.
Thank you, I will check it out.