Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
kp

Unhappy Sparton Horn Field windings

anybody know where I can get Field wiring for spartan Horn? Tried Snyders, Bratons, Tams ,no luck .ooppps 6 volt ,I am in need of the insulation barrier that goes under the copper wire .

Last edited by kp; 08-01-2010 at 05:45 PM.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: Sparton Horn Field windings

You didn't say if for 6 or 12 Volt system ?

Radio shack has the 24 guage wire used for 12 Volt system.

The original field coil wire for 6 Volt was 20 guage; not sure where you can find this, maybe an electrical supply co. ? Maybe someone else has this information.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Ron in Quincy

Smile Re: Sparton Horn Field windings

Forget to tell you, if you need to know how to wire the field coils, number of turns, etc , for either 6 or 12 Volt, e-mail me and will be glad to give you the information.

[email protected]

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Jon-Ohio

I've had luck getting magnet wire of various gauges at electric motor repair shops. Also I've seen it at Ham radio hamfests and ham oriented electronic stores.
Jon-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Radio Shack unfortunately has pretty much turned into a toy and telephone store, and I wonder if they won't soon go the way of Allied, Laffayette, Olson, and the several other good old time supply houses.

Try a motor rebuilding shop, or an electronics surplus store if you have one near you. Do a Google search for "COPPER WIRE", or even check on Ebay.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
You didn't say if for 6 or 12 Volt system ?

Radio shack has the 24 guage wire used for 12 Volt system.

The original field coil wire for 6 Volt was 20 guage; not sure where you can find this, maybe an electrical supply co. ? Maybe someone else has this information.

Ron
All electonics has 20 Ga.
The model a mechanics handbook vol 1(Les Andrews)p.194, says to use #20 coated copper wire, wind each field coil 48 turns each, in opposite directions, one end of each field wire soldered to the connecting clip the other end to the brush holder.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

The Sparton I am getting ready to rewind the field coils only had 40 wraps. Possibly it was rewound imprpoerly in the past. Had to go to a larger place that rewinds motors to get the wire. Rod
Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
kp

Thinking bout using thick gasket material for making insulation barrier that goes under the copper wire,I was able to unwind the old wire,and was planning on reusing it,use to make small elect. motors and wound them by hand,ha , in High School 50 years ago. does the wire have to be Coated ?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

I too am curious what the pro's use. I am thinking friction tape would be ok. I don't know if it has to be coated wire, but that is what I am using. Rod
Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
The Sparton I am getting ready to rewind the field coils only had 40 wraps. Possibly it was rewound imprpoerly in the past. Had to go to a larger place that rewinds motors to get the wire. Rod
My horn also had 40 turns and I'm positive it was OE.

Here's a link to a pdf version of a post I made to the old FordBarn about converting a horn to 12v. Most of it would also apply to rewinding a horn to 6 volt--just use the correct wire.

I got my wire from McMaster-Carr. Radio Shack no longer carries a suitable wire for this project.

http://originalmodelaparts.com/Misc/WayHornRewind.pdf

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp View Post
Thinking bout using thick gasket material for making insulation barrier that goes under the copper wire,I was able to unwind the old wire,and was planning on reusing it,use to make small elect. motors and wound them by hand,ha , in High School 50 years ago. does the wire have to be Coated ?
Yes, the wire DOES need to be coated. It's coated with either a clear, redish, or brownish laquer most of the time. The antique wire of years ago often had a green or black silk wrap on it for insulation.

Any uncoated wire wrapped into the coil would be a dead short to the wire next to it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
...Any uncoated wire wrapped into the coil would be a dead short to the wire next to it.
Absolutely.

Here's a thought--my horn, and the two or three others I've seen since I've been paying attention to this, had the fields wound with wire that has very thick insulation.

Modern wire such as "bell wire" has plastic insulation that is much thinner and also much better than the original. If I rewind any more horns, I'll use regular insulated wire. Even when rewinding a horn for 12v, which requires twice the number of turns, there is PLENTY of room for modern wire.

Here's another thought--I don't know that the exact gauge is too important, so long as it's heavy enough. It should be at least 20 gauge for 6v, and at least 24 gauge for 12v, but as long as the required number of turns will fit on the frame, heavier wire should work fine. I think it's the turns that count, not the wire gauge.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
kp

Many thank for all the comments. The old wire has partial wrapping left on it that is black,my hands show it ,so guess I'll have to locate some insulated wire .I think the thick gasket material will work for insulation under and around it . May add some tape to hold it in place at the start of winding.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:55 AM   #14
Guzziwhite

3D print the spool to wind the wire on,
Guzziwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:39 PM   #15
rotorwrench

This is a really old thread. The two winding supports are usually fixed to the horn motor support frame so as not to be removed easily. It's easier to just unwind the fields and clean that stuff up then try to either save or replace the insulation that protects the windings. Look for magnet wire in the proper wire gauge since it is already well coated with varnish.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:50 PM   #16
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
This is a really old thread. The two winding supports are usually fixed to the horn motor support frame so as not to be removed easily. It's easier to just unwind the fields and clean that stuff up then try to either save or replace the insulation that protects the windings. Look for magnet wire in the proper wire gauge since it is already well coated with varnish.
Roger on all that, AND. specify Formvar coated wire.
It has way too many attributes to list here.
Available most everywhere but you have to specify.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote