Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Found On Road Dead

Wife and I coming home from a nice Sunday lunch in the woodie, get to a rise in the road about 2 miles from home. Engine quits like I killed the ignition switch. I quickly shifted into neutral hoping to clear the rise so I could pull into Segault's triangle at the cuttoff to Obstruction Pass. As we slowed down with some hill still ahead I started pulling the rise with the starter motor for propulsion. We crested the slight rise and dropped into the roadside triangle across from my buddy Tim Segault's place. Tim was in his barcalounger but came out to help us. If you have read 'hunting/strumbling/missing, you will know of my distributor journey. New fuel tank, two fuel pumps(elec on a switch), two filters, 1/2 tank or ethanol free gas. 8 new autolite 216s yesterday. Fat blue spark from coil wire. No spark at any plug wire. Pull rotor, looks perfect. Snap it all back together, can't see anything down behind those belts. Still no spark at plugs. Tim tows us home behind his beat up '82 chev 6.2 diesel 4x4 dually, bed covered with logging equipment. We had to unhook his trailer and I had to move his excavator so we could back out of his place. When we reach my steep gravel road we need a head of speed for momentum, but a neighbor is loafing up the hill looking back at what we are doing,. Well we got home and in the morning before work I will get into that horrible front mounted distributor and see what is up. I hate the location and I cannot wait to get that new 8ba built and installed to end this misery. I know, I know that dual point distributor is a masterpiece of ford engineering, but give me a regular old distributor when I have trouble on the road. What do I look for at dawn's early light? And sorry for the rant, you guys know I DO love these vehicles.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: Found On Road Dead

I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers but you could always go with an electronic distributor. Don't know if your 6 or 12 volt but they are available in both voltages. Another option is a Pertronix electronic conversion. My buddy has been running a Pertronix in the 59ab in his AV8 for years with no issues.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
tomcarman

Your neighbor Tim is an admirable man in todays world. Sorry that happened to you. Whenever I drive the '32 I have my own personal rules.
1. The car doesn't leave my sight. (I wouldn't go to WalMart and go shopping, but I will go to breakfast and sit where I can keep an eye on it.
2. I don't go anywhere that requires a speed higher than 35 MPH. (The front end is sloppy and it can be scary to drive. A rebuild is planned.)
3. Someone has to be home to come get me with the truck and car trailer in case I beak down. (Yes, it has happened more than once.)
Good luck finding your Gremlin, I feel your fustration and I'm sure many other Barners have had the same experience.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers but you could always go with an electronic distributor. Don't know if your 6 or 12 volt but they are available in both voltages. Another option is a Pertronix electronic conversion. My buddy has been running a Pertronix in the 59ab in his AV8 for years with no issues.
I may have already ruffled a few..... Really I just want my points (one set) up where i can stick my nose in them. OH, and the 255 cubes will be nice.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-24-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
Brian

simple troubleshooting; you have fat blue spark at coil. But nothing at plugs. So....problem is rotor shorted. if cap had issues it'd be misfiring on some cylinders. Nothing wrong with the points
Old 08-24-2020, 12:45 AM   #6
35ragtop

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
GB, I agree with Brian,
I had mine stumble a few times and die. Towed home and upon investigation found that the rotor had shorted. The spark was going straight through the top into the shaft. ( crab distributor) I couldnt see the problem until I got under bright light .I now carry a quality spare rotor.
Dave
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:49 AM   #7
Mart

I also would be looking at the rotor. It might fire up again and idle now it's cold.

The heavy ignition loads during the uphill grade will test the ht side of the ignition. If the rotor is the weak link in the chain, that will fail.

I had a rotor fail and it would be ok at the first part of the journey then fail when hot and pulling a heavy HT load (pulling up a hill or accelerating).

A simple swap fixed it. You could see damage on the rotor.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:30 AM   #8
RKS.PA

Gary, all's well that ends well! You and your wife got home safe and sound, notwithstanding the damper on a nice Sunday lunch!! Thank God for neighbors, or in my case AAA!

Betting you'll find the problem and fix it pronto today!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
A bones

Ya we know you love it. When all is right and you're singing along, it's much better than driving any new car, period.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
D. Jones

I had my truck with the front mounted distributor die mysteriously a couple of times. I finally figured it out. I had serviced the fan hub and one drop of oil would fall on the distributor run in thru the timing set screw and short the points to ground. The point sets that I used had a slightly longer spring and when installed the clearance to the distributor housing was measured in thousandths of an inch. Little things can sometimes make a big difference. Granted front mounted distributors can be a pain to work on but once I did everything right it works fine.

Last edited by D. Jones; 08-24-2020 at 07:04 AM.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
alanwoodieman

shorted rotor for sure. helmet dizzy take off the rotor and put two layers of shrink tape-one at a time and this cures the problem--ask me how I know this
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

Gary, That often happens when you run a hotter coil then the original. Electricity will always go to the "easiest" ground and sometimes it is the shaft in the center of the rotor. Sometimes it is just a rotor that doesn't have enough plastic in a critical spot. Good luck, I know that is a hard place to get to with those wide fenders. Since this isn't an old greasy mess that hasn't been aprat forever it shouldn't be as bad as you think.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
GB SISSON

THANKS!!! Ok, still on my second cup of coffee, will report back.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #14
GB SISSON

YAY! Pulled down a cardboard box labeled 59ab ignition and there were 3 distributors and assorted caps and rotors for crabs. Picked out a newish looking rotor, installed it from under the car and voila! This may well have been the stumbling/hunting /missing thing I have been chasing for weeks. I looked at the distributor I replaced last week and the rotor was missing, leading me to suspect I moved the old rotor over to the 'new' distributor. I will road test after lunch as I have someone coming to the shop this morning. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
RKS.PA

Gary, that second cup of coffee put you over the top on the fix....that and the spare rotor!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #16
GB SISSON

One good thing about all the engines we are given or buy cheap that end up to be horribly cracked is that they give up lots of spare parts. And the parts, while some of them are aftermarket, are old USA made stuff. I have a crab cap that is red and has a reverse firing order on it. Looks new, probably marine and I think it should work on a normal engine. I like the color. Heading out now on the test drive. I can't thank you all enough for the quick replies that fired up the woodie!
Old 08-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Road test great. Still need to go to town and hit the long grades on the way home, but all systems GO.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:56 AM   #18
Will D

Glad you got 'er figured. Now instead of Found On Road Dead you can be First On Race Day.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:30 AM   #19
Lawrie

In my ford 33/34 book it shows how to make a high tension parts checker using a model T coil, I use mine on every dist I do.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #20
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
In my ford 33/34 book it shows how to make a high tension parts checker using a model T coil, I use mine on every dist I do.
Lawrie
Lawrie, I'd like to know more about this. Don't have a 33/34 parts book, but am going to see what I can find online. Thanks for the idea!!