Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Fred A

Default 59A Oil Filter Lines, ETC?

Putting a stock oil filter system on my 59A engine. I have two styles of filter can. Grungy unit has the inlet on the back(inboard) and the other much cleaner one on the side, so I favor the clean side inlet unit. Which is the 59 and what's the other? Since the one with the side inlet(really aft), is such a beauty, which of the two prefab(=pricey) inlet/out oil line sets is needed for the side inlet. The choices are: 11A-18660-K For '41-'46 or the 59A-.. for '47-'48. Now those are Drake years and not always correct on cars with odd mixes. I did the search and find that oil filters are a huge subject. burying my little question. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 59A Oil Filter Lines, ETC?

The one commonly seen installed is the one with the inlet to the aft. I don't know anything about which would be more correct for a specific year. This illustration appear to have the inboard inlet and is listed for 1942 thru 1948. But not sure than means all years were the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 988358ba1f75c3377dc5335d2096fc17.jpg (54.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 12-10-2018 at 05:27 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Fred A

Default Re: 59A Oil Filter Lines, ETC?

At first glance, the fuel pump without a sediment bowl looks a bit '42, earlyish. The filter drain is well forward of the dipstick, again early. The dual temp sensor not seeable. Ford seems to do a technical illustration and leave it at that for years. Is the forward mounted filter remain a 59A feature or does it work also to the rear? Been looking at so many modified cars that I'm easily confused. Great picture though. This is a popular engine found commonly but not authentic to my '40. I have some hope it will get me far down the road while I look into my 99T. Still the 59 came with the car. The engine deserves, no my wallet deserves it to work out. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote