Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
mudflap

Default Oil line

Can anyone help me locate the oil return line on a ‘41 Ford engine that goes from the oil filter to the hollow bolt on the left side of the dist? I read some posts from (Kubes 40) from 11 years ago with lots of information, but I still come up short on my search. Thank you.
mudflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Oil line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
Can anyone help me locate the oil return line on a ‘41 Ford engine that goes from the oil filter to the hollow bolt on the left side of the dist? I read some posts from (Kubes 40) from 11 years ago with lots of information, but I still come up short on my search. Thank you.
Are you looking for an oil line or where to locate it on the engine?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
In 1941 there was a fitting near the front - left of the oil pan that the return line went to. Later, as I recall, 1942, the oil dip stick boss had a threaded port that served this purpose and the dedicated fitting was eliminated.
I am fairly certain that in 1941 the oil lines were rigid (steel).

If authenticity doesn't matter to you, the flexible lines you seek are often found on eBay. Expect to pay around $25.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
mudflap

The oil return line was a flexible cloth covered line going from the bottom of the filter canister to a hollow bolt with a banjo flttlng on it. The hollow bolt is on the left side of the distributor and is one of the bolts that hold the distributor to the block. It doesn’t matter if it is flexible or steel, just so it works. If I knew how to fabricate one I would do it. Thank you, I will be checking e-bay.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
The oil return line was a flexible cloth covered line going from the bottom of the filter canister to a hollow bolt with a banjo flttlng on it. The hollow bolt is on the left side of the distributor and is one of the bolts that hold the distributor to the block. It doesn’t matter if it is flexible or steel, just so it works. If I knew how to fabricate one I would do it. Thank you, I will be checking e-bay.
If you are running it to the timing gear cover, you'll need the flex line. Have you looked at your oil pan for a threaded boss?
Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
mudflap

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Haven’t checked the pan. Engine is in the machine shop getting a rebuild, so things are on hold for now. Took a good look at the banjo fitting and think I can braze a steel line to it and either run a solid steel line or adapt a flex line to it. Thanks for everything so far.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
KGS

Quote:
Haven’t checked the pan. Engine is in the machine shop getting a rebuild, so things are on hold for now. Took a good look at the banjo fitting and think I can braze a steel line to it and either run a solid steel line or adapt a flex line to it. Thanks for everything so far.
Since your engine is in the machine shop, maybe the machinist could drill and tap a hole in the block on the left side, just above the pan rail, for the oil return line like the 8BA blocks had from the factory. If you're going for authentic, then this won't be correct.
KGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Since your engine is in the machine shop, maybe the machinist could drill and tap a hole in the block on the left side, just above the pan rail, for the oil return line like the 8BA blocks had from the factory. If you're going for authentic, then this won't be correct.
DON'T DO IT, 8BA engines have a passageway cast into the block for that purpose.
Such a misguided procedure could possibly open a passageway into the water jacket.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg or.jpg (88.0 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 06-29-2018 at 06:43 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
DON'T DO IT, 8BA engines have a passageway cast into the block for that purpose.
Such a misguided procedure could possibly open a passageway into the water jacket.

Wow, thanks for that input. I wasn't aware that it was a passageway cast into the block. Just goes to show that ya don't know what ya don't know.
Sorry for the misguidance...
KGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
alanwoodieman

if it is in the machine shop take a steel coupling and drill a hole thru the pan and weld the coupling into it and then you can run a hard line to that, if you prefer going into the timing cover then PM me for some more help
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
Terry,OH

The 41 Ford should not have an 8BA engine. Unless it has been put there as a replacement. I believe the 41 engine model 11A should have the flexible line to return oil to the engine. Do check your oil pan dip stick boss for a special fitting or the side of the pan for a special fitting for a hard line. See if the pan special fitting has been drilled, through the pan, to accept a filter return line I have a few NOS Flex lines that use the special bolt. They are made by Fram.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote