Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #21
36and63

Default Re: Prices for turnkey Flathead?

I would contact H&H to see what they would charge you for a stock rebuild with and without core exchange. You might only be looking at small difference in price and have the piece of mind of the warrantee then. I think the motor is worth every bit what he is asking to him since he is only trying to recoup his loss, but that's not the way it works whenever I try and sell stuff.

Pat
36and63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
AnthonyG

Paper work from H&H indicates it was built with warranty 2014. It's in a stand and obvious it's not been in avehicle since build. https://www.flatheads-forever.com/tu...e-engines.html
Old 12-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #23
AnthonyG

Peripherals are probably worth $1500, even if it has to come a part to check I gotta believe except for some internal rust most will be salvageable with some work. I'll offer $2000 go to $3000 if I have to and see what happens.
Thx for all the inputs
Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #24
B-O-B

Good luck on that. $2,000. You might have better luck with a different approach. That is more than an insult it's a slap in the face.
I have a fresh (just finished 59A-B ) with adj. lifters,L-100 cam, block squared & decked & pressured tested with all new brgs, wrist pins , pistons & reconditioned rods ,crank turned, new valves , seats & guides,59AB heads milled + shipped to me & I'm in over 6 grand.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #25
AnthonyG

Lightbulb Re: Prices for turnkey Flathead?

I'd agree B-O-B if this was the same as you indicate yours is, fresh coming to you immediately after the build. As indicated it's not. Can negotiate up if starting higher can't go lower
Old 12-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #26
Rand

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Man I hope my Flathead out lives me. Cuz these prices are getting crazy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

What exactly does "stock build" mean in this particular case? As someone else already said, does the seller have the receipts for exactly what was done by H&H, and what did the seller do himself? If you can get this info from the seller, it would be a big help in determining what you offer him.
Knowing what it cost me to rebuild a '35 21 stud engine in 2002 and a 59 series engine in 2006, with the shop doing all the machining, and me doing most of the assembly, I'm thinking with todays costs, $3,000.00 is a low ball number, but at least worth a try.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #28
cas3

atleast coming from h&h the block should be good. after your tear down, clean up, and pay for a pressure test and mag 2 or 3 blocks to find a good one, that aspect starts to look pretty valuable. my 59a block rite now is at 1200 in rebuild parts from mac, add skips pumps and coil, clutch and pp brings it too about 1800, then 2000 at the machine shop for tests, bore, seats, grind crank, etc. so now at 3800 and its a pile of parts
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #29
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
Man I hope my Flathead out lives me. Cuz these prices are getting crazy
Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #30
49clubcoupe

I believe mikes website list all of the prices for parts and his machine work. Either way it adds up fast with a flathead. In my personal opinion, a flathead from mike is worth more than a flathead from most other shops.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
49clubcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #31
AnthonyG

All good food for thought. Do understand pros& cons. Will do the $2k offer as a start. Believe it’s an estate sail do no one to insult anyway. Even if there was can only say no then the dance begins.
Thx all & will report back
Old 12-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #32
19Fordy

Who knows, you might just get lucky.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #33
TomT/Williamsburg

HnH has said, and I quote, "there isn't a flathead block out there that we won't build". I have heard him say it in person and I have a DVD about them from the HAMB, "A sweet Sickness" where they say it.

For the money they charge, I would want a crack free block as my base - not one they filled to seal up the cracks. I would pay the money for a French block and main caps and build it myself if you do not want the hassle if looking for a crack free block, especially building a 59AB. 8bas you have a better chance with imho ....

Just my 2cents ....

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 12-09-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Mistake
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #34
lotsagas4u

We haven't heard from Tod lately on the new flat head blocks, thinks might change, who knows?
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsagas4u View Post
We haven't heard from Tod lately on the new flat head blocks, thinks might change, who knows?
Yeah, where is Tod?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #36
Bored&Stroked

I'd check to see if they have receipts. Also, you can probably call H&H and ask them if they serial # stamp their engines -- most shops do. Then, you can get the serial number and H&H should be able to give you the build sheet and tell you what was done to it. If you can get this engine anywhere near what you're thinking of offering - it is a very good deal. BUT - everything hinges on what was done to the engine and the quality of the parts in it.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #37
philipswanson

When I bought my 40 woody this past summer, I got an NOS as in brand new 40 flathead. The crate looked like it was a military surplus. Definitely never used. Still has preservative all over it. Wonder what that's worth, anybody know?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Was it one of the French engines? Don't remember what they were selling for.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #39
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
HnH has said, and I quote, "there isn't a flathead block out there that we won't build". I have heard him say it in person and I have a DVD about them from the HAMB, "A sweet Sickness" where they say it.

For the money they charge, I would want a crack free block as my base - not one they filled to seal up the cracks. I would pay the money for a French block and main caps and build it myself if you do not want the hassle if looking for a crack free block, especially building a 59AB. 8bas you have a better chance with imho ....

Just my 2cents ....
Aren't the the dealers for the French blocks? It would also be possible that the engine has a new French block in it. Would have to check it out to know.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #40
TomT/Williamsburg

If it was a French block and they built it to American specs, I would want to see the paperwork. If it's one of the complete French engines I believe there are some things that need to be modified. They are a super nice block though - nice and beefy but not without core shift issues. I had one in my coupe - it was great - and I have another I want to go .125 over with 4" crank and an L100 cam. Back to the issue on hand, with no warranty and that kind of money, I would at least want to hear it run.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote