Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #261
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Ok, engine block would hold about 2 gallon, I read you take baking soda and water and rinse to stop vinegar reaction??? Any way the vinegar would be to strong on old cast steel block for a week? Don P. one time cleaned a lot of old casting sand out of a V8 motor, cooled it down. I really think the pumps will improve the idle/parade temperature problem. Will try your suggestion if you don't see any damage happening. thanks Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #262
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If it has never had the casting sand removed you just would not believe how much of it there is in there!!! It is mostly around the rear cylinders (at least on mine). It really is unbelievable. It takes several instruments of mass-destruction to get at it, but well worth the effort. However no idea how you could do it without the block being out of the car. On the engine stand I work on it with wire, long drill bits, etc. and then turn it over ever so often and blow it out. Then worked on it some more. Ended up with quite a pile on the floor.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #263
Terry,OH

For my 34 I removed the oil pan and found one of the welsh plugs to be leaking (rusted through) so I removed all four and with the oil pan off, I put a piece of plastic over the crank area and flushed with water through the water pumps as well as the lower mounts and used wire in the rear welsh plug holes to remove build up and foundry sand. I got a couple of cups of junk out of the rear plug holes replaced the welsh plugs and assembled the clean pan.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #264
Bruce in southern OH

Not going to remove engine at this time, told that it was rebuild in late 70's and early 80's. I do have all the old pistons, lifters and boxes of old engine parts. Just in 20's to low 30's here now, I will wait and maybe catch a warmer day before the flush. ( warm day for Ralph)
Might make some blanking plates and put vinegar in block to soak. Hope when engine was done that they cleaned up/out, again not a running hot problem, just parade/idle, think the radiator cleaning and new pumps will cure!! Will catch the material from block when I do flush. Thank you, and as always Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #265
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
[COLOR="Red"]BILL these are the tools that I have found in car this summer, three tire tools(two long tire tools do have different ends ), one small tire tool, two pumps, part of the jack (wonder how it worked), small grease gun.
Just had a look at the jack that I assume came standard with my 39 Deluxe. Of course it is a Windsor built unit with the name "Auscolift" on one side. Patented May 24, 1938. I might have a handle for it but no idea where the base is. I will try to get a page scanned from my 39 Mercury book showing how to use the jack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Ford jack.jpg (63.4 KB, 25 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #266
RalphG

And a page from the 1939 Mercury reference book showing correct placement of the bumper jack. It always intrigued me how the jack could grip on a smooth steel post but it works. I've lost/misplaced the base from mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Merc jack.jpg (56.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #267
Bruce in southern OH

Thanks RalphG, great information,
Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #268
Terry,OH

Note the shape of the receiver for the jack handle on RalphG's jack is flat rectangular and not round, this is the typical of the Ford style jack 37-41. An observation on RalphG's jack there is just one locking collar on the shaft extending out just above the handle receiver. This style was changed to two collars next to each other somewhere around 1938. The length of the round shaft was increased in 41. This may or may not be the style of jack used in the LZ in 1939???
Old 12-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #269
Bruce in southern OH

Terry, found this on Ebay this morning:

COMPLETE AND MINT ORIGINAL 1937 TO 1939 LINCOLN ZEPHYR BUMPER JACK SHOWN. IT HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED AND IS EXACTLY AS REMOVED FROM THE TRUNK OF A NICE ORIGINAL CAR. IT HAS MUCH OF THE ORIGINAL GREEN FINISH ON ALL THESE PIECES. IT WAS MADE FOR FORD BY AUTO SPECIALTIES COMPANY OF MICHIGAN AND HAS LINCOLN PART NUMBER 86H-17080. IT INCLUDES THE ORIGINAL HANDLE 86H-17081 AND THE ORIGINAL BASE WHICH IS 86H-17088. IT IS IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITION . IMPORTANT WARNING: THESE EARLY FRICTION JACKS ARE NOT SAFE TO USE TO LIFT YOUR CAR. IT SHOULD BE USED FOR DISPLAY ONLY. 151517606908

I now know I have the slick rod handle, found in car, will have to find it again, do not have the base, continue looking, thanks for info, Bruce
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #270
RalphG

Hopefully a better view of the actual jack I have with my 39 Deluxe here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 jack.jpg (63.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #271
Terry,OH

I viewed the ebay ad and if the jack is what they think, then it appears the Lincoln used the round receiver for their jack and not the rectangular receiver. .
Old 12-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #272
Bruce in southern OH

Found the slick rod, wire brushed with electric motor wire wheel, found no numbers, I did spray with Liquid Wrench and it does work up and release lever lets it come back down.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #273
Terry,OH

Got the base?? They are hard to find
Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #274
Bruce in southern OH

No base, I would think over the years after having a flat tire along the side of a road, everyone mad or dark rainy night that a lot of the jack parts are long lost. I still after 6 months, looking at all the parts boxes I got with car find items(after someone on the barn says do you have this ). I can make a plate with a hole for rod if I need to ( take a later base plate and weld in a sleeve, machine shop piece ) could be my first project on lathe ? Solid stock with hole drilled in it for jack rod. thanks Terry,OH
Old 12-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #275
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
No base, I would think over the years after having a flat tire along the side of a road, everyone mad or dark rainy night that a lot of the jack parts are long lost. I still after 6 months, looking at all the parts boxes I got with car find items(after someone on the barn says do you have this ). I can make a plate with a hole for rod if I need to ( take a later base plate and weld in a sleeve, machine shop piece ) could be my first project on lathe ? Solid stock with hole drilled in it for jack rod. thanks Terry,OH
Bruce :

Go ahead and do that ?
It is the best way to find one in you stash
or have some one come forward with any original one.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #276
Bruce in southern OH

Bill, the original base on ebay looks military, maybe because of old green paint, thanks Bruce
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFg3MjA=/z/W1IAAOSwofxUkObs/$_57.JPG
If you click on JPG it will appear?

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 12-20-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Photo instructions
Old 12-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #277
Terry,OH

Around 1940 most of the jacks and bases were green in color. The green does resemble military O.D. maybe because of the flat finish to the paint. IMO don't bother making a base for the jack, if you can find an original grab it but your not going to use the jack even if you have a flat (Very Dangerous) Even Lin Stacey who sells original tools and kits includes a legal release form with a purchase. Here is a photo of a Ford jack base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 ford jack, base and handle (1).JPG (61.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #278
BILL WZOREK

Bruce the point I was TRYING to make is if you go to all the work and make one you will find the lost one or some one will give you one / at least that is how it happens for me.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #279
Bruce in southern OH

It has been awhile, received my Two water pumps back today, can start the install soon:
New rebuilt water pumps

Old pumps, before sent off
Old 01-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #280
Ken/Alabama

Dont forget to fill them with oil!
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote