Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
mike657894

Default can you put a flywheel on upside down? and other questions.

Can you put a flywheel on 180 degrees off? Can you remove the trans rearward? Is there a position mark on the flywheel? I had read mention of aligning the flywheel to housing. Both the fly wheel and housing on my engine are located by light press fit locating pins. Are these locating pins only on the later engines? These are all just thoughts I have after I got my car reassembled after new pistons and rings and a plan for lower end and trans rebuilds in the next few years or earlier if needed. Later if not.

I tried to search the forums but was buried in transmissions for other cars. Yes you can easily pull the trans rearward on most everything else. But found no video or written info to say it went back in the model A.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: can you put a flywheel on upside down? and other questions.

The flywheel will bolt on in either of 2 positions and it makes no difference which way you do it. Can't answer your other question.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

I think you misunderstood: The face of the flywheel (part the clutch disc slips on) MUST be parallel to the face of the flywheel housing (part the trans bellhousing bolts to). Flywheel to crank orientation doesnt matter as long as its tight and properly torqued and fully against the crank.
If the 2 faces are not parallel the clutch disc will contact the flywheel at an angle and will cause chatter when your releasing the clutch

Yes in a Model A you can leave the engine in the car and remove the trans towards the rear (granted you first remove the rear end - please read up on this and be very careful around the rear spring)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
mike657894

I have read up on the rear spring and have some bushings waiting for that project but dont have the spreader yet. I have experienced the chatter because a helpful relative had tried to help free the clutch up by playing with the adjusters before i got the car. I set all my pressure plate fingers to .750 below deck. I would guess its better than the blind adjustment that worn down the surface of a few of the fingers.

Thank you for clarifying the flywheel to crank position. That was bothering me for some odd reason.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
Wick

Is your problem a stuck clutch?
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Patrick L.

The flywheel can be installed 180º off, and, it does/can make a huge difference in the engine balance/vibration.

At least it did with mine. The marks on mine were on the 'front' side and not very noticeable and someone had had it apart at some time and installed it 180 out. It had a bit of a vibration for the time I had it. I had it apart for the flywheel and clutch and noticed the marks so decided to try and install it according to the marks. It made a considerable difference in the vibration, its now quite smooth.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 04-10-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
mike657894

vibration is similar to before. I was wondering if the crank and flywheel were balanced together. I found drill marks in both. I was thinking if I took the trans off the back when I did my rear spring I could try it both ways.

Clutch is good now. It was stuck thirty years ago and again 5 year ago now. The Car was my grandfathers on my mothers side and the overly helpful relative was my father in 1987.

It has a steady shake at idle but doesn't seam to increase much. I was doing some reading I may have my motor mounts to tight to the frame. I put new rubbers and springs in when they were out.

The engine is a late diamond block. stock crank non counter balcanced with b cam

Last edited by mike657894; 04-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

Patrick's statement is true if the wheel and crank had been balanced together. When new they were not.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
chap52

You Tube is your friend. Several posts of pulling the tranny on a Model A. Some are from Model A Club Tech Sessions.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
Kohnke Rebabbitting

To level the Flywheel housing, you have to indicate from the rear crank flange, to the flywheel housing, NOT from the flywheel, to the housing.

When you indicate the flywheel, you can hang your indicator on the housing, and indicate the flywheel.

Always balance crank, or flywheel by them selves, or pressure plate with flywheel, and that Mark them.

When you mount the Flywheel on, always put it on the same way, which ever comes out best.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
hardtimes

Smile Re: can you put a flywheel on upside down? and other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
To level the Flywheel housing, you have to indicate from the rear crank flange, to the flywheel housing, NOT from the flywheel, to the housing.

When you indicate the flywheel, you can hang your indicator on the housing, and indicate the flywheel.

Always balance crank, or flywheel by them selves, or pressure plate with flywheel, and that Mark them.

When you mount the Flywheel on, always put it on the same way, which ever comes out best.

Herm.

As usual Herm, great pictures and great/accurate information to rely on !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote