Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
D. Jones

Default Generator end plate bushing size.

Just tore down my generator because it started making noise. Found the rear end plate bushing was bad. I miked the armature shaft end and found it is .662 to .669 depending on location. The OD of the end plate bushing hole is tapered from .808 to .813. Neither of these measurements corresponds with any Ford generator bushing I can find. Not wanting to make it a unique size I'm tempted to turn the shaft end to .625 and bore and bush the end plate to .750 to take use a standard 32 to 36 bushing as shown in the Macs catalog.

Anyone have a better plan/idea?
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Generator end plate bushing size.

The last time I needed a cintered bronze bushing, found one of suitable size with a little modification in the bins at local hardware store.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:40 AM   #3
Brian

Doing it the way you propose is the right way to do it; the journal and bore in end plate will all be round. I always prime the oillite bush too by squeezing oil through it with thumb and forefinger, prior to installation.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
D. Jones

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Got lucky. Just had to find the right person/business. I went to a local Auto Electrical repair shop and asked about a bushing for the generator as I had robbed an end plate off another generator and the bushing in it was bad but, the end plate was good. The young man went in his back room and a few minutes later came back and said he didn't have the bushing but would order some as he thought it would be a good idea to have some on hand. He then handed me a used end plate that he found that had a serviceable bushing in it. I asked him what he had to have for it and he said oh, five dollars. I took it and told him I wanted three of the bushings when they came in. I put my old generator back together as I need to take the truck back to have a spot in the paint repaired this weekend. After I get it back I'll pull the armature and turn the end down and sleeve it back to the correct dimension and put a new bushing in. I already put the new front bearing in. I feel like I skated on this one.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote