Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
D. Jones

Default What insurance do you have?

I currently have two insurance policies on my 45 pickup. The first through Farmers is an add on to my Jeep policy and is liability only. No comp or collision. Farmers will not cover it for collision as it is too old and would cost too much to repair. The second is through J.C. Taylor and is only good for car shows and parades, which I don't do, but does cover collision under those circumstances.

I hoping to find a company that will insure it at a reasonable rate and cover it as a driver. Right now I'm rather frustrated.

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover it so I can drive it and not have to worry about being in an accident and suddenly having the insurance company say "your not covered"?
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
41PICUP

Default Re: What insurance do you have?

Check out American Collectors Inc
I use them for 41 pickup and my 35 Fordor.
2500 miles a year, or more if you want, and agreed on value, what ever you want.
About $700 a year for both, with same pl/pd as I carry on modern cars with AAA.

Last edited by 41PICUP; 11-05-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: more info
41PICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Bob NH

Nationwide is on my side !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
billwill

Hagerty is on my side
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
cmbrucew

My cars are on AAA. Insured for $18,000.00 each except wife's Mustang. Probably supposed to be parked in the garage all the time. I supply them the mileage annually.
No claims, thank God.
Bruce
Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
V8ER

I started with Taylor for about 15 years, went to Grundy after Taylor's premiums kept going up, stayed with Grundy for about 15 years until their premiums kept going up, now with Hagerty, excellent service and stable premiums.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
I currently have two insurance policies on my 45 pickup. The first through Farmers is an add on to my Jeep policy and is liability only. No comp or collision. Farmers will not cover it for collision as it is too old and would cost too much to repair. The second is through J.C. Taylor and is only good for car shows and parades, which I don't do, but does cover collision under those circumstances.

I hoping to find a company that will insure it at a reasonable rate and cover it as a driver. Right now I'm rather frustrated.

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover it so I can drive it and not have to worry about being in an accident and suddenly having the insurance company say "your not covered"?
You better call J C Taylor and check your policy. I have them and never a mention of car shows or parades. I had one claim a couple of years ago and great service. They work thru Hagerty and are great. John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
joe 1950

I have hagerty excellent company to do your coverage with
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
40cpe

This is from Taylor's web site on Classic/Antique car policy:

Be used primarily as hobby vehicles: used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional nice day drive to keep the vehicle in running order is perfectly acceptable.
We do NOT impose a mileage limit on our Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Policy. However, we do use a very reasonable underwriting limit.

They have a policy advertised for modified cars, but no information on its restrictions or privileges.

I have Hagerty
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
TJ

I use Grundy and others in my area use Hagerty. Most specialty companies will not cover you if the vehicle is used for a daily driver. You never know how good a company is until you need to file a claim. Due to the last earthquake in the Napa Valley many of us suffered damage to our old Fords. Both Grundy and Hagerty responded very quickly right after they were called. The adjusters came to our homes, assessed the damage and issued checks for the repairs. They were extremely fair with their estimates and told us if the cost was more we can come back with the higher quote and they would work with us and the repair shop to get the job done. They actually send adjusters who have a knowledge of old cars. It's never fun when you have to file a damage claim on your old Ford, but these two companies stepped right to the plate to help us. Their rates are very fair and they are way less than the major companies. I have State Farm on my new cars and house and used to use them for my old Fords. I now insure 3 cars with Grundy for the same cost that 2 cars cost me with State Farm. Personally I have nothing but good to say about Grundy and Hagerty.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
B-O-B

Go with Grundy & never look back. I have had two claims & they were more than fair & settled promptly.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
Krylon32

Got all 3 of my deuces with Grundy. When I built them several years ago they were 6 figure cars and Grundy insured them with no problems. I assume that with the recession in the old car market a reassessment of their value would probably in order, but it's hard to admit their losing value.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
tubman

Anybody know anything about Condon and Skelly? I have had them for over 20 years, Very easy to work with and incredibly cheap (6 cars insured with an agregate agreed value of over $100,000 for an annual premium is about $800). I've never had a claim, so I don't know what I should expect inn case I haver one. They have the usual conditions : Cars must be garaged and limits on the mileage to 2500 per year, neither of which is a problem for me. Anybody been through it with them?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
fordor41

I use Hagerty. 3 claims and no problems. Last claim I hit a deer, sat. labor day weekend. Following tues. adjuster was at my house. 13 days later I had a 10K check in my hand. They definitely get my vote.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
Oldog3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
Hagerty is on my side
Hagerty hands down , I have 4 vehicles... 2 1953's , 1966 and 29 A street rod 3 on the road with full coverage stated value [137K] w/roadside costs about $325 a year .

And I live in the country's ONLY $%%$ no fault state !!!!! [ Mo $$$$ ]
Dan
Oldog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #16
adileo

tubman - I have Condon and Skelly - so far so good - thank God never had a need to chat with them since purchase, hope it stays that way.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
chap52

American Family has a "seldom driven" policy. Full coverage and very reasonable. I had it quite awhile and recently updated the value which required me to get an appraisal.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

Grundy here for the last seven years. Their rates for one vehicle seem fair and reasonable to me. Had one damage claim during this time and they were on it quickly with an adjuster that knew and owned old cars himself. Check came in the mail to me in about three business days.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #19
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Grundy here for the last seven years. Their rates for one vehicle seem fair and reasonable to me. Had one damage claim during this time and they were on it quickly with an adjuster that knew and owned old cars himself. Check came in the mail to me in about three business days.
John, From an insurance standpoint, how did you handle your trip to Tahoe and back with Grundy? Any special arrangements or requirements? Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
oldandtired

I have my 37 insured with Safeco. They also insure my home and other vehicles. They would no sell me just liability. Total coverage with a $20k agreed upon value was less than $300/year. The local agent says they have been selling coverage on collector vehicles, streetrods, and the like for 25 years or so with no claims, making the policies desirable for the insurance carriers.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote