Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
whizzernick

Default 1933 victoria

I havent loged on for a while. I was trying to finish my assembly of my 1933 victoria. the last week was quite a week. This project has been on the front burner for around a year. I have owned the vickey for around 34years. My goal was to receive a dearborn award at an Early Ford V-8 club national meet. The Western national meet was in Thousand Oaks Ca (near L.A.) sept 2 - 6 A perfect car is 1000 points. My goal was 950 + points.
below that you get a first place. I have several modificiations that subtract points. All 1932-1934 fords look better when they are low . At the time these cars were built the roads were poor to none. Are roads now are poor to fair----but still better than none. I put a single leaf spring in front with max drop. ( I have found the single leaf spring rides better and lets you put the car where you want it and you can still use mechinical brakes)
In the rear I removed around 4 leafs and used longer shackles. ( I need to now rase the rear as the rear is a little lower than front. I also have a non stock accessory ( oil chex ) (kelesey Hayse bent spoke wheeles) So points lost were 31. I did get the dearborn award . I have enclosed several pictires. I was able to get the vickey stripe but after the thurs concourse. I went on In to L.A. on friday for my good friend Tom Clark
apply stripe. Super job any one needing his talent just let me know.
I was unable to get stripe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cell phone 029.jpg (38.7 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg cell phone 079.jpg (32.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg cell phone 028.jpg (78.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg cell phone 080.jpg (26.9 KB, 191 views)
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
texas webb

Default Re: 1933 victoria

Nice looking Vicky.There is a thread on the hamb about mono leaf spring breakage,and I remember several in the past.Most are at the center bolt.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

"I noticed this car at the show and while a decent looking ride, it made me wonder just WHY it was on the concourse. It was apparent to anyone with one blind eye and poor vision from the other, it was not "concourse" material.
This particular car avoided the safety check. That is an automatic disqualification from judging. This brings up a related concern... How did this car make it through the pre-secreening process at the mandatory technical review before the concourse? Perhaps that inspection process has become as lax as the Chief Judge and the Officers of the Club who allowed this to happen on their watch.

Has the early Ford V8 Club of America turned in to one in which it is more important to get the attendees numbers up rather than sticking to its charter in that cars are to be judged in a strict yet fair fashion relative to how they were built? A rhetorical question for certain...

It seems to me that the too-often used quote "Don't kill the car" has been taken too much to heart.
If this type of thing continues, why judge at all? Just hand out Dearborn "Attendance awards" and everyone is happy! Be damned the few folks that actually took their time to research and subsequently build a vehicle Ol' Henry would recognize.

Me? I vote to getting back to the days when receiving a Dearborn award was prestigious. A time when a guy could take the judging sheets in to serious consideration when contemplating the purchase of a "Dearborn" car." DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Nice looking car, but the low rear end really hurts the appearance.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
"I noticed this car at the show and while a decent looking ride, it made me wonder just WHY it was on the concourse. It was apparent to anyone with one blind eye and poor vision from the other, it was not "concourse" material.
This particular car avoided the safety check. That is an automatic disqualification from judging. This brings up a related concern... How did this car make it through the pre-secreening process at the mandatory technical review before the concourse? Perhaps that inspection process has become as lax as the Chief Judge and the Officers of the Club who allowed this to happen on their watch.

Has the early Ford V8 Club of America turned in to one in which it is more important to get the attendees numbers up rather than sticking to its charter in that cars are to be judged in a strict yet fair fashion relative to how they were built? A rhetorical question for certain...

It seems to me that the too-often used quote "Don't kill the car" has been taken too much to heart.
If this type of thing continues, why judge at all? Just hand out Dearborn "Attendance awards" and everyone is happy! Be damned the few folks that actually took their time to research and subsequently build a vehicle Ol' Henry would recognize.

Me? I vote to getting back to the days when receiving a Dearborn award was prestigious. A time when a guy could take the judging sheets in to serious consideration when contemplating the purchase of a "Dearborn" car." DD
Lighten up a bit.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Carl

Yeah, I believe Whizzer(Nick) has a reasonable degree of intelligence.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
TJ

Yes lighten up. This hobby is supposed to be fun. Our judging standards are some of the strictest around and we do stick to the charter. Take a look at some of the early cars owned by the founders of the club. Most would not even get a first place at today's meets. Most were Touring or Touring A cars. Those early meets were all about getting together , talking old V-8 Fords, and having fun. The judging process is not about "nit picking' a person's car. It is designed to let the owner know what's right and what's not correct. The owner then has the option to make those corrections to upgrade the car. Most car owners already know what's correct and not correct with their car. There's no need to hit them over the head with a hammer.
As a police officer when I stopped someone for a traffic violation I either wrote the citation or gave them a lecture and let them go. I did not do both which adds insult to injury.
Let's get back to having fun with cars. The world is serious enough and our hobby needs to be fun to make life a little easier.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Yes lighten up. This hobby is supposed to be fun. Our judging standards are some of the strictest around and we do stick to the charter. Take a look at some of the early cars owned by the founders of the club. Most would not even get a first place at today's meets. Most were Touring or Touring A cars. Those early meets were all about getting together , talking old V-8 Fords, and having fun. The judging process is not about "nit picking' a person's car. It is designed to let the owner know what's right and what's not correct. The owner then has the option to make those corrections to upgrade the car. Most car owners already know what's correct and not correct with their car. There's no need to hit them over the head with a hammer.
As a police officer when I stopped someone for a traffic violation I either wrote the citation or gave them a lecture and let them go. I did not do both which adds insult to injury.
Let's get back to having fun with cars. The world is serious enough and our hobby needs to be fun to make life a little easier.

Well said TJ

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
mrtexas

When I first got an antique car I went to a few club meetings. I showed a picture of my car and the comments I got were mostly what was "wrong" with my car. Geeze, that turned me off to club meetings ever since. I personally don't like fenderless or highly modified cars but won't ruin someone elses fun by ridiculing them for their preferences.

My latest car is a 49 woodie hot rod. The only visible changes I have made are to replace the steering column with a GM one so the horn and turn signals will work with the Fatman front end someone else put on it. To the average person my car looks close to original. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Look at my avatar. Yes, 40 wheels so I can have front disc brakes to stop like a modern car. not "wrong" for me. Mitchell OD to drive on the highway. Modern radio hidden inside old case. Small microswitch for working turn signals.

BTW how many of you buy replacement parts for your new cars only at the dealer to maintain "originality" rather than buy them from the local Autozone to save money? A few 1000 point cars might be worth more than a hot rod but not many IMHO.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
tubman

I own (and have owned) the cars I do because of their connections to my life and the good memories they bring. They are built for me, nobody else. Because of this, the last trophy I won was a cheap plastic one at the dragstrip in 1961. I hope Mr. "Whizzernick" can look past the inappropriate response and rejoin the community. It seems that he has much to offer. Having a soft spot in my heart for C2 Corvettes (my first new car purchase), I own one. I would to suggest to anyone who really appreciates being anal buy one and join the NCRS. Then you can argue with your pals about proper wheel weights and valve stem caps.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
whizzernick

Do I know you? Were you at the Thousand Oaks meet? As to your comment you made about the safety check. I did pass with nothing wrong . I'm wondering what you have against me personally? Have I done something to you? If you were at the meet and you looked at my car and you know anything about restoration on early Ford's. You would see that this restoration is not perfect but in the realm of a very complete restoration. The judges found several things wrong that weren't and didn't find several things that were wrong . In the end I received the Dearborn award . I did not stay or go to the award banquet dinner . As the real award is that my 33 Victoria is almost finished and to be honest I didn't build the car to get the Dearborn award , the Dearborn award or the quest for it was a goal that helped me finish the car. I built the car for myself the way I like. If you don't like it , that is your problem.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
whizzernick

I sure would like some response to V8coopman.
Am I missing something.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
deuce_roadster

I was at the meet. If your car can withstand RIGEROUS judging and still get > 950 points then you deserve the Dearborn. I think the discussion brings up the judging standards issue. The concourse cars are supposed to be judged against how it rolled off the assembly line, with deductions for ANY variance.
My opinion is that particular car belonged in one of the touring classes. Nice beautiful car, was welcome there but had enough modifications to not be concourse judged in my opinion.
Me, yes, I had a car judged there, scored 969 same as you. One of the deductions was for a small scratch on a spark plug conduit. Not all judging teams have the same expertise which is just part of the problem of putting on one of these meets.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
NealinCA

As a young guy with an old Ford (with a few modifications), and hearing banter like this, I find it real hard to want to be involved with any of these national/regional meets...

I do on the other hand, like the idea of Chris's East/West flathead run. Guys actually driving and enjoying their old Fords.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
tiger.1000

This thread is the very reason that I'm not a regular attender at car shows. Something very sad about a man of my age (68 today....whoopee !) sitting in a field polishing an exhaust pipe or painting tyres black in order to win a silver cup or what-have-you.

Just get on and enjoy the hobby of old cars and have fun with some of the folk who own them. Remember some barners are running their cars on a shoestring; others have a silver spoon in their mouth.

Whatever, we're all born equal and we all die equal.
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Some folks in this world are very competitive and take competitions they are involved in very seriously. They also tend to take criticism very seriously. I've see this in all sorts of folks my whole life and just accept them or not depending on their respect for others and respect for themselves.

Personally, I avoid competion whenever possible. I just like the old cars for their historic value and their artistic value. I don't want any rewards. I take most of my pleasure in driving something I've been savy enough to repair and operate by myself that happens to be unusual in todays world. Me a show off, a little bit. We all should take pride in what we do as long as we don't get carried away with it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Andyr

I was at the meet and enjoyed that cute Vicky........the car did have some major modifications , however , judging standards vary from meet to meet and judge to judge! One should not get too worked up about the politics of judging. I've seen people almost get in fisticuffs about the way in which their car was judged. I spent many years studying and making corrections on my car to get it correct. ( before David G's book) My car was awarded a Dearborn Emeritus at that meet and the beat goes on.........Thanks............
Andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
dwaynec

No matter what anybody says, that is one nice looking Vicky.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
tdlmomowers

Damn, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Dude, chill a bit! I,personally could care less if my old car ever wins an award.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
Willit Stop

Wizzernick:Beautiful Vicky!
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote