Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
bmita

Default dash rail/panel issue

i need the help of some of the experts here on the board, i have a 29 tudor sedan i need a dash rail/panel, it depends on what you call it or who you talk to,
i need to know is how you tell the difference between the different models which one will fit. i been told the pickup ones are different in size as to a coupe or sedan. what would be the correct measurement of one for a tudor sedan. i going to look at some at a guys house and i want to make sure i get the right one. thanks bmita
bmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: dash rail/panel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmita View Post
i need the help of some of the experts here on the board, i have a 29 tudor sedan i need a dash rail/panel, it depends on what you call it or who you talk to,
i need to know is how you tell the difference between the different models which one will fit. i been told the pickup ones are different in size as to a coupe or sedan. what would be the correct measurement of one for a tudor sedan. i going to look at some at a guys house and i want to make sure i get the right one. thanks bmita
CC pickup IS different - as is the windshield ledge which goes underneath.

I had to bring my existing dash rail with me to find another similar at the Amherst, NH antique auto flea market.

There are a LOT of misinformed sellers out there. Or caviet emptor.

Joe K
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
bmita

ok, well i dont have one to take to compare with, thats why i was asking if anyone had some measurements i could go off of.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
wrndln

I think I have a dash panel for a 28/29 coupe/tudor. If you don't get the measurements from someone else, I can take a picture of it and if you tell me what measurements you need I can sent them to you. 28/29 open cars - roadsters and phaetons use a different dash. I have some of those to, but you can't use that type on a tudor. Most dash panels have an extra hole or holes in them, especially on the drivers side. I have repaired couple of dashes with my MIG welder and you can't tell there were holes ever there. I always thought the dash in a 28/29 closed cab pickup was the same as a coupe or tudor. They sure look the same. I will need to check my 29 pickup to see what the difference is.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
bmita

rusty that would be great. i am going to check out a guys supply of parts in the next day or two to get one from him. he doesn't really know the difference between them.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
wrndln

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here is a picture of the dash panel in my 28 special coupe. It is the same dash as used in a 28/29 tudor. I can measure the length of it tomorrow - across the top. If you need other dimensions let me know. I think I have a dash that is not installed which would be easier to measure.
Rusty Nelson

Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Randy in ca

The quickest, easiest way to tell at a glance a 28-29 Tudor or Coupe dash rail panel from other models is to look at the ends of the panel. I'm pretty sure that it's the only style that doesn't have any bead or similar design on the end of the panel - rather just a plain edge on the ends. Not sure about the pickups. Here's a couple of pictures to illustrate:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928-29 Tudor and Coupe dash rail.jpg (46.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 1928-29 Ford open car dash rail.jpg (38.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 1928-29 Ford dash - Fordor & cabriolet.jpg (77.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 1930-31 Ford - Coupe & Tudor dash.jpg (58.1 KB, 87 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Randy in ca

Just remembered I have a couple of more pictures saved - I think I got these off the Wescott's webpage:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928-29 Dashes.jpg (25.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 1930-31 Dashes.jpg (32.8 KB, 105 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Just remembered I have a couple of more pictures saved - I think I got these off the Wescott's webpage:
Interesting...Thanks Randy!

He must have taken thopse photos off the site...did not see them.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 03-22-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
wrndln

I just measured across the top at the widest point of my CCPU dash (there is a little bulge out toward the windshield side of the dash) and I got 41 7/16". I measured another closed car dash in the barn and I got a little over 42 3/16". I also checked the dash on my 28 coupe - just over 42 3/16". It is weird that the CCPU's dash is only 3/4" narrower than a closed car dash, but look identical to me. The reason there is a difference must be the A pillar to use the model T doors as the gas tank is the same as other model A's. Luckily, I have a dash in my CCPU. I wonder how many people have bought closed car dashes thinking they would fit a CCPU! Why would Ford make two very similar dashes! I don't know if a regular closed car dash could be cut down to fit a CCPU if a CCPU dash couldn't be found. The mounting holes might be slightly different. You learn something new about model A's all the time. Dan Partain might add something to this discussion a little later, as he knows a lot about 28/29 CCPU's.
Rusty Nelson
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Dan Partain

I compared the dash rail on my 29CC to the one in my 29 Tudor and they are different. Here are some photos of the two styles. For the measurements I just pulled a tape measure from one end to the other for rough comparison.

The longer dash looks like it could be cut down to make a duplicate of the smaller one, I compared the mounting holes and they are the same.

-DAN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2829Dash.jpg (33.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg dash01.jpg (52.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg dash02.jpg (51.8 KB, 32 views)
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I just measured across the top at the widest point of my CCPU dash (there is a little bulge out toward the windshield side of the dash) and I got 41 7/16". I measured another closed car dash in the barn and I got a little over 42 3/16". I also checked the dash on my 28 coupe - just over 42 3/16". It is weird that the CCPU's dash is only 3/4" narrower than a closed car dash, but look identical to me. The reason there is a difference must be the A pillar to use the model T doors as the gas tank is the same as other model A's. Luckily, I have a dash in my CCPU. I wonder how many people have bought closed car dashes thinking they would fit a CCPU! Why would Ford make two very similar dashes! I don't know if a regular closed car dash could be cut down to fit a CCPU if a CCPU dash couldn't be found. The mounting holes might be slightly different. You learn something new about model A's all the time. Dan Partain might add something to this discussion a little later, as he knows a lot about 28/29 CCPU's.
Rusty Nelson
In Dan's photo you can see the difference on the hole spacing too the edge. Geez...I must be one of them!
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
In Dan's photo you can see the difference on the hole spacing too the edge. Geez...I must be one of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Partain View Post
I compared the dash rail on my 29CC to the one in my 29 Tudor and they are different. Here are some photos of the two styles. For the measurements I just pulled a tape measure from one end to the other for rough comparison.

The longer dash looks like it could be cut down to make a duplicate of the smaller one, I compared the mounting holes and they are the same.

-DAN
And this the reason why I brought my 29CC PU dash with me when I went to Amherst, NH Fleamarket looking for a duplicate! I wasn't aware of the difference in length. I just wished everyone in 1930 didn't drill holes in their dash for a headlight switch! (seems we're not alone with headlight switch difficulties.)

The CC pickup body was recycled (after a fashion) from the Model T Coupe and Tudors. But there are differences in the bodies, particularly in the "tumble home" (nautical term) of the body. I think Dan Partain and I have previously discussed the small differences in Model A CC truck doors from the Model T versions. (The doors are the same but the bodies different in their "presentation" of the doors.)

I would be curious to see on the Model T coupe/tudor what their dash is like?

Joe K
Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
SteveB31

I just measured the two most common 1928-1929 closed car dash rails. BOTH look identicle at first glance.

The pickup, panal etc dash is 39 1/2" wide measured just above the upper pouter ounting holes.

The coupe, tudor dash measures 40" at the same location.

hole spacing is the same.....so you could install a pickup one in a coupe/tudor(even though it would not look good- it would have a gap at each end), but you cannot install a coupe/tudor one in the pickup (it is too wide).

Pickup cowl is not as wide as a tudor/coupe cowl at that point.

Also, FYI the side modings beside the windshield are similar (but different) as well as the cowl posts are VERY different as teh hinges fasten to the cowl in a very different manner.

Hope this answers your original question.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
bmita

thanks to everybody who replied to my post. you all are the best. i love the ford barn it amazes me all the knowledge on this board.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Rusty Nelson
And this is truly another case where the FORD Parts List...in this case the Body Parts List...was and is wrong on the numbering of that specific part...as seen in the posts above, it truly is not identical to the Tudor and Coupes.

The November 15, 1929 FORD Body Parts List indicates that part number A-45725 is for Standard Coupe; Special Coupe; Sport Coupe; Business Coupe;
Tudor; Closed Cab; A Panel; AA Panel; DeLuxe Delivery; Taxi Cab; Station Wagon but not the case with the Closed Cab...That being the case then... would the Front Belt Rail be somewhat different for the A Panel; AA Panel; DeLuxe Delivery; Taxi Cab; and Station Wagon?

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 03-22-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote