Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #21
19Fordy

Default Re: Charlie stolded.....my version

Gee whillikers, I am waiting for Scott to post his version of "the truth".
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Gee whillikers, I am waiting for Scott to post his version of "the truth".
He did and it got deleted.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #23
Frank Miller

I once said, if you please 80% of the people you've done 100% of the job.
Charlies did a carb for me and there was an issue with a power valve. He got some bad ones or something like that. Sent it back and he took care of me as well as let his other customers know about a potential problem.
Another story was when we put on the national meet in Saratoga and a vendor was complaining that he could not camp in the flea market. He appealed to Charlie as an ally and got nothing. He ultimately canceled his registration and we refunded him. I sent an email to our registration person with the name in the subject. The content just said F*** him. Sometimes you just got to laugh at the problems and move on.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #24
Charlie ny
BANNED

I was going to let this drop...but... I'm fortunate that I only saw the first of Scott's
post's....Alice and I had a b'fast date so by the time we got back home Scott was
deleted. I will mention that the carbs came to me because this guy could not get them to work, in part because of the gross vacuum leak on #1 carb and both pumps putting out 6 plus psi. When his parts left my shop the carbs and pumps were on the money and tested perfectly. I did not forget or misplace anything.

c'est tout,

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #25
TJ

He obviously threw a fit so he didn't have to pay. I'll bet he has done that to others and he gets away with it. Typical "sleaze ball".
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #26
Tinker

Some people will never be satisfied, they have bad fuel lines, vacuum leaks, pump issues, or whatever. But you didn't fix it for them.

Man in this "hobbie" we all have had things go wrong. Can't count the bad parts I've gotten from box parts or how many carbs I've gone through to find the right setup. Just the price of the game. If you are new to it, it can be frustrating.

I've never bought a carb from CNY, But it's a pretty good bet, CNY you're not taking anyone for a money ride and always stand by your work. Plenty of fly by night guys, you are not one of those. You have helped put a lot of cars on the road.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-08-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:22 AM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

I personally do not know Scott Sobkowwicz.....but I do know Charlie Schwendler, aka Charlie ny, and I know he's top notch in any category you'd ever care to judge him in.

There is no doubt in my mind that whatever Charlie did to Scott's carburators or fuel pumps was the right thing to do to make sure they worked properly.

The picture of Charlie and Alice, that Coopman/DD posted here, is also one of my favorite pictures, and I was extremely happy to have taken that picture at the Canton, Ohio Car Show & Swap Meet about four years ago, when I drove out to Warren Ohio to pick up a four post car lift. That turned out to be a very good show that I've wanted to attend again, but have not been able to get back there.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:06 AM   #28
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Another story was when we put on the national meet in Saratoga and a vendor was complaining that he could not camp in the flea market. He appealed to Charlie as an ally and got nothing. He ultimately canceled his registration and we refunded him. I sent an email to our registration person with the name in the subject. The content just said F*** him. Sometimes you just got to laugh at the problems and move on.

Dollars to donuts I know the vendor in your story. He called me out of the blue to vent about his right to camp on the Swap Meet grounds of a National Meet if he was registered for the Meet. Foolish me, I tried diplomacy.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #29

Charlie did a carb for me a few years ago and it has worked perfectly since day one. Not only that but dealing with him was a very pleasant experience. Sorry to hear you had to put up with that nonsense, Charlie. Don't let it bother you!
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #30
fortyfords

I must say that it was nice to see Charlie and his wife's picture, and I can see the only thing Charlie did wrong was he knew this wasn't going to go good but his kindness to help people got him into trouble. I've done the same too Charlie and I know it will eat at you but this thread will go a long way on people who really do appreciate you, including me, Thanks, sonny
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #31
38coop

Back in the 70's , i worked at a independent auto parts store. Believe me when i say i dealt with a lot of Scott's.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #32
TomT/Williamsburg

As you can tell, we all have your back .....

All the best to you and your lovely wife ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #33
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Charlie you are the best friend a person can have. We all meet some people that don't make sense. They need help maybe a 45. God Bless you and Alice. Barb and I may drive up this summer for a visit.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #34
chap52

Charlie,
You are far above this persons rant. You are a BLESSING to all of us.

Having worked in the Prison System for over thirty years as a Chaplain I have faced many different frustrated attitudes. A slogan I hang on to is; "Approach determines response." Nuff said! Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #35
rockfla

Not that my post will be ANY different than the other 32 or SO other "supporting" post for Charlie. I will tell you this........In my 55 plus years on earth, and for everyone of them I have any memory of........from my dad messing with V8 Fords for ALL of what I can remember......Charlie Schwindler IS that guy in the hobby that is most trusted, the guy we have all hoped to have as a friend and support for our cars.......and by that his word is his work and vice versa......He is honest as the day is long.....and by that look up honest in the dictionary and Charlie is listed under the definition!!! AND most of all.........HE is what this hobby is all about, what it NEEDS and MOST of all.....KEEPS US ALL ON THE ROAD.....literally and reliably!!!! As is quite apparent....We all are indebted to this fine fine gentleman!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #36
Pdstark

Recently sent my 94 to Charlie. So glad I did!
Old 03-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #37
Bored&Stroked

That damn Charlie has done TOO MUCH good work for me . . . I'm going to need to switch vendors and find a sleazy snake in the grass to do my work. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #38
tubman

The last time something like this happened, the protagonist turned out to have recently had surgery and was still on a drug regimen that was obviously affecting his judgement. I would not be surprised if something similar was not going on here. It is painful to hear criticism, no matter what the source, but sometimes the source has to be taken into consideration.

Also, count me into those who have nothing but the highest regard for Charlie, his workmanship, and the way he conducts his business. It would be a lesser world without him.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #39
Ziggster

As s relative newb, I’ve only dealt with Charlie once, and it was recently. He sent parts unpaid. Didn’t know me from Adam. That is rare these days. The Barn and the folks here are top notch in my books.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #40
35fordtn

Charlie is hands down the most stand up character in this Hobby. Not a finer gentleman on the planet. If I grow up to be half as good of a person as he is, then I will be beyond happy. Charlie doesn't "Stolded" from anybody.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote