Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
fordman

Default drake fuel gauge

I have a '40 new tank drake and a drake gas meter prob 4 yrs ago. not accurate. do you have a corrective plan?

thanks,

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: drake fuel gauge

So whats not correct...showing wrong level but right span(0 to full)=bend the floatrod.
Way off in the span...showing below 0 and over full=you can adjust the intrument a bit perhaps shorten or lenght the floatrod a bit.
If the readings are all over the place cause its a crappy resistive meter thats wound incorrect=put it under the wheel drive it over and get a better sender.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
SofaKing

Many threads about this topic that explain it better than I can, try a search. The Drake stuff is incompatible with the Ford stuff due to someone being a dumbass, in my opinion.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
19Fordy

This topic has been well researched. The OEM sending unit does not operate on the Ohms Principle. Pour yourself a cup of coffee and read these threads.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search...archid=6911702
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
koates

Hi there, the original ford tank sender unit is a King Sealy made unit that has a set of switching contacts and a bi-metal with a heater coil winding. It works the dash gauge by switching on and off at different rates depending on the fuel level. The more modern Drake unit works on a variable resistance system and is in most cases not combatable with the original gauge. The old tank units can sometimes be repaired. Corrective plan for you is to remount the original tank sender into your new tank. There is an adaptor plate which I THINK can be used for this fit up. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #6
Bob-93021

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Hi there, the original ford tank sender unit is a King Sealy made unit that has a set of switching contacts and a bi-metal with a heater coil winding. It works the dash gauge by switching on and off at different rates depending on the fuel level. The more modern Drake unit works on a variable resistance system and is in most cases not combatable with the original gauge. The old tank units can sometimes be repaired. Corrective plan for you is to remount the original tank sender into your new tank. There is an adaptor plate which I THINK can be used for this fit up. Regards, Kevin.
Kevin, That was the most simple explanation I have read on why the 2 different operating system are incompatible! I wish that someone could pull together a comprehensive book on auto type gauges covering OEM and aftermarket stuff for us. Thanks - Bob
Bob-93021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

The KS used in the early fords are a balance system, you have 2 identical bimetals heated at the same time with points in the sender opening when you reach a sertain level.
Then both cools down until the poinst close again.
This way you get a mirror image of the senders bimetal in the meter.
It´s not pulses in the meaning being 2 a minute or something like that.
Exactly the same type of meter works just fine with a resistive sender if the bimetal is designed with a movement linear to the current aplied to it.
The balance system is very clever in the way you dont need to design the bimetal in any other way then keep a good quality so they act the same.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #8
19Fordy

So, it seems that in the case of the operation of the KS gas guage, if a resistor is installed in a newer style gas tank sending unit, the OEM guage won't work accurately because it's original bi-metal component is NOT designed with a movement linear to the current applied to it.
It would be great if there was a way to accurately remedy this problem. The key word is accurately.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:22 AM   #9
flatheadmurre

There are a few issues with using a resistive sender.
First early fords have a very low ohm range about 70 if i remember right.
This means a resistive sender gets less accurate cause a small movement makes a big change in current.
Modern resistive units are usual higher range like 240 ohm.
Trying to wind a logaritmic sender with low resistanse means you have to use a lot of thick wire and that is expensive and difficult to fit in the sender.
Not to mention someone has to measure the caracteristics of the meter first to find out how it behaves at different current levels.
Is there a big enough market to make someone develope a product like this...not from a profit point of view i guess.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Jembow

The solution in my Model T is a wooden ruler but I can't get it round the bend in the V8 filler neck. Can someone devise a flexible version?
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote