Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
RHD

Post Speedo cable route between LHD and RHD.

For LHD and RHD cars the speedo cable took different routes from the drive end, to get to the speedometer. The question is why?
The cable for RHD cars is routed from the speedo drive, up to a clamp on a gearbox tower stud, (normally clamped to a right side gearbox tower stud, to keep it up off the muffler), and through a small slot in the upper floorboard, through the tank tunnel to the speedo.
Being from a RHD country, this is how I believe the LHD cable was routed. Please correct me if I am wrong.
From the speedo drive, LHD the cable is clamped with a frame clamp on the bottom side of the top frame rail to keep it off the muffler.
It then travels up to a grommeted hole in the firewall. This hole is near the choke rod hole. It then passes through a clip holding it to the inside of the firewall, then up through the tunnel under the gas tank to the speedo.
I have always wondered why. The LHD option would have suited RHD quite adequately.
A couple of pictures of each below.
Any thoughts are most welcomed.I know some folks don't want to know RHD, but I thought I would ask any way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1190785.jpg (42.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 452lr.jpg (41.4 KB, 84 views)
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
RHD

Default Re: Speedo cable route between LHD and RHD.

Does nobody know? I have had 58 views to date. Surely somebody must have some idea. Even send me a P.M. if you wish.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Just guessing, but on a RHD you've got the pedals in the way??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
RHD

Hi 1931 Flamingo.
I thought of that before I listed. The pedals don't really get in the way if the cable is routed successfully. It is the only reason (if you could call it a reason) that I could think of also.
Many thanks for the reply.
Maybe it's because we drive on the wrong side of the road, backwards, while standing on our heads.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
fforddnutt

I used the cable clamp (that would normally be the one on LHD chassis rail )and ran the cable forward to the RH screw on the clutch inspection plate, then up thru the slot in the upper floorboard and into the petrol tank tunnel. Works fine, no sharp bends. Hardest part was fitting the rubber grommet in the petrol tank tunnel,fiddly. talking RHD here of course.
fforddnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
fforddnutt

I used the cable clamp( that would normally be the clamp on LHD chassis to keep cable clear of muffler ) and ran the speedo cable straight forward, using said clamp at the right hand side screw of the clutch inspection plate , then up thru the slot in the upper floorboard and into the petrol tank tunnel. Worked fine,no sharp bends. Hardest part was fitting the grommet in the petrol tank tunnel,fiddly. Talking RHD here of course.
fforddnutt
fforddnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
john charlton

My RHD cars have the speedo cable clipped to the right hand frame rail in line more or less with the clutch and brake pedal shaft . There is a hole drilled in the bottom of the frame rail channel to take the clip . The cable then goes through a slightly angled slot in the top of the toe board then into the gas tank tunnel to the speedo . It is a very gentle curve from start to finish . The LHD setup is more convolluted . In my LHD cars I have changed the routing to RHD which I think is much better . In RHD the speedo cable does not come into the engine compartment so there is no hole in the firewall .The cable passes ahead and well clear of the pedals and rests on the inner firewall where it enters the body.

John in back fom sunny AZ rain in Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 03-05-2017 at 10:55 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I'm not sure on RHD, but on LHD the cable clamp is installed in the upper frame rail so it holds the cable far away from the muffler. I have a picture of an unrestored 29 Phaeton showing the clamp in this position.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote