Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
Kube

Default rear trans mount swap on a 36

Can the rear mount be replaced with the transmission in the chassis?
I have the differential all apart now to install a Columbia and thought it a good time to swap the rear mount if it's not a huge task.

I'm guessing the front seat and floor pan should be removed for access to the top of the u-joint clam shell.

Any advice from those that have done this task?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: rear trans mount swap on a 36

Mike I could be wrong but I really don’t think it’s easily possible.... but if the rear is out, you are merely a hour away from have the trans out as well.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
johndee138

I swapped my stock trans for a T-170 and of course removed the seat but all I really had to do was remove some floor pan bolts and insert some blocks of wood to give me enough room to get in there to do what I had to do. I did shorten my T Tube and relocate the front mount for the bones. I should have rotated my T tube a bit cause the speedo hookup proved difficult and required a little nibbling in the center section to attach the coupling to the turtle
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
drolston

Loosen the front motor mounts, loosen steady rods, remove the fan, put a jack under the transmission and lift it up enough to get the biscuits out. About half an inch. Seat can stay in the car.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

There are normally no biscuits on '36 rear trans mounts unless it's a very late build where some '36's used the '37 style rear trans mount/formed metal bracket that was riveted to frame and used two rubber biscuits/donuts like those used under front motor mounts. However, if you can get the back of the transmission raised high enough, up out of the frame, that rear mount could be removed w/o removing the transmission. I usually remove the seat because it's easier to get into where you need to be to get the job done.

PS...my magical Fordbarn post number 9,999

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-08-2020 at 09:02 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #6
Terry,OH

I'm with John should be fairly easy. the mount is held to the frame with two bolts that screw into the frame from the top so the seat and trans cover should come off but you most likely have them almost removed to install the clutch vacuum valve for the Columbia. 6 bolts with safety wire hole the mount to the back of the trans. and the one bolt for the U-Joint, all removable from the top. Wear gloves, should be very messy. You have to reuse two pieces, the steel plate between the mount and the trans and the cast piece with the safety wire 6 bolts. Don't jack the trans up very high so as not to bend the chatter rods. Oups I forgot the two bolts holding the hand brake lever to the rear mount.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
nelsb01

Kube;
I just did it on my 36 pickup. Although the floor opening is way bigger in a pickup (full side to side of cab open). Had to remove the rear mount before I could get the transmisson out all the way out.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
Kube

Got her done yesterday. Thanks for the advice men.
It wasn't all that tough of a job other than getting the safety wire back through all six bolt heads. I don't bend and twist as well as I once did.
Tomorrow I plan on installing the Columbia and zipping up the rear axle assembly and brakes. Then it's on to installing the controls.