Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
RHD

Default 1929 Taillights

Were the first 1929 taillights (after the drum taillight) introduced in March 29 chrome plated brass. I know the later taillights were stainless. I have seen the brass taillights here and wondered if they have ever been seen in the USA and what period of production they were used. The 'Duolamp' stamping was recessed.
Maybe this was an export option only.
Sorry, don't have a picture of one.
Any ideas?
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #2
johnbuckley

Default Re: 1929 Taillights

Do you think the brass ones you've seen might have been originally chrome on brass from which the Cr has been polished off?
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD View Post
Were the first 1929 taillights (after the drum taillight) introduced in March 29 chrome plated brass. I know the later taillights were stainless. I have seen the brass taillights here and wondered if they have ever been seen in the USA and what period of production they were used. The 'Duolamp' stamping was recessed.
Maybe this was an export option only.
Sorry, don't have a picture of one.
Any ideas?
They were Nickel plated,...till the Stainless came about..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
DougVieyra

They were Nickle plated Brass. In the early days of 'restoraton' during the 1950's and '60's, before there were Parts Houses, with reproduction parts (including tail lite housings) most 'restorers' of the time preferred the later '29 Tea Cup housing of S/S. The reason being that the Brass, over the course of what was then 20 + years, often times developed stress cracks and splits in the brass housing. A condition that can only get worse with time.

That was the same situation with the Brass Cowl Lites.

Perhaps someone on Ford Barn can tell us if S/S can be plated Nickle. If so, that would be the ideal Tea Cup tail lite housing for a '29 Model A.

- Doug Vieyra, past owner of 4 '28's, 3 '29's, 5 '30's, 3 '31's. Now the owner of memories - both lost and found.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Perhaps someone on Ford Barn can tell us if S/S can be plated Nickle. If so, that would be the ideal Tea Cup tail lite housing for a '29 Model A...
Yes. There are several methods. All involve proper prep to remove the passive oxide always present on SS. The difficulty comes in the next step, a method to get superior adhesion of the first plate layer, or initial strike. I did quite a bit of small scale plating years ago and experimented with different solution mixes. I found the method described HERE to give the best initial strike bond to 300 series stainless. Talk to your plater. He/she may have other methods that will also provide high initial strike bond.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
dave in australia

When I was an electroplater, we would use a nickel chloride strike, then plate the next layer over the top of that. Unless it was to be hard chrome plated for a build up. Then we would reverse current etch in the chrome bath, then plate directly on to the SS. The most common S we plated on was 316.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
Cockshutt Kid

I believe that the DUOLAMP was stamped inwards on Canadian built cars and outward on American built cars. Jim.
Cockshutt Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
d.

I have a stainless teacup taillight stamped inward...what is your Canadian production belief based on? just curious
d. is offline   Reply With Quote