Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
JRHASZARD

Default steering shaft

I did a search but probably not a good one. Last night we ran into a problem.Finishing up a job rebuilding the steering box,we could not get the clip on the end of the horn/light switch rod. I had replaced the steering shaft and worm with one already pressed on from Brattons. Now the wheel won't go all the way down on the column. Of course now that I have screwed up,it seems I could have found that out had I first compared the old and new shafts and also put the rod inside the shaft with the spring and clip prior to installing the column in the car. I guess, the pedals,starter and all that crap has to come out again. Oh Man! We learn by doing. Over and over again. This has been the job from hell.
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: steering shaft

There were different length shafts, was the new shaft the same length as the old one?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Purdy Swoft

There are different length shafts. Bratton offers the 44 inch shaft that is most common. This shaft ussed the 45 & 31/32 length light switch rod part number 5570 in Brattons catalog on page 27. Using the correct length light switch rod with the correct length steering shaft is a must. I used a new shaft with worm gear installed on my roadster. I think that the only mods needed was to slightly drill out the upper and lower ends of the shaft for the light switch to enter. Dont fret removing the column. get the correct length light switch rod. The 5570 light switch rod is the only one that will work with the new 44 inch shaft.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
JRHASZARD

If I only replace the light switch rod with a longer one to fit the 44 '' shaft, how am I going to get the steering wheel down close enough to the column tube? With a too long shaft, the wheel sticks out too far.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
machine girl

with the wheel off install the horn rod Top resting on threads measure from the bottom plate to center of clip grove should measure .950 if so is the taper wrong on that new shaft ? we quit using these on our f100 conversions. now make our own.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Roger V

Like so many posters asking questions, you didn't state what exactly you are working on. It's real difficult guessing when we are not standing next to you. My guess is you bought a late '30-31 two tooth shaft and your column is the early (Jan-Feb '30) shorter version. Your only choice if this is the case is to exchange the long shaft for the short one OR acquire a later long tube (and long horn/light rod).
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
JRHASZARD

Please forgive my churlish ignorance, Your Majesty !
Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
larrys40

Jrhaszard,
With all due respect roger v is giving you a good correct answer You have a worm and shaft that you ordered that is too long the catalogs show there are two different length columns/shafts unfortunately Brattons I believe only sells the 44 inch where Snyders handles both already pressed on. I know roger v personally and roger is extremely knowledgable having restored Marc of excellence cars
His reply was just you didn't really give all the information and the fact he was relating to the early and late columns and their respective lengths. He also gave you a solution

There are inaccurate posts very often on the barn but his was not one of them .I understand that it's a bummer but I would have hoped you found this out while the box was on the bench
I would suggest finding the longer tube and restoring that properly
Be sure to get the correct length longer horn rod
Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 05-11-2014 at 09:36 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

You've got to pay close attention to what you are doing and the parts that you order. Hap hazard actions end in hap hazard results !!!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
silversink

and shelves of unusable parts
Old 05-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
JRHASZARD

Sometimes I don't do things properly the first time, so I ask. Even then I make mistakes. But since this is only supposed to be a relaxing hobby for me and not the only thing going on in my life, it has to be pleasant. I can get derision and have my petunia chewed lots of other places. I'm outta here.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
machine girl

JR, you need to take some on the barn with a grain of salt! some info is good , some bad and some downright stupid and remember CANT FIX STUPID!
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine girl View Post
JR, you need to take some on the barn with a grain of salt! some info is good , some bad and some downright stupid and remember CANT FIX STUPID!
Who are you calling stupid ???