Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Greg out west

Thumbs up If my A could "talk" ?

Hi Guy's,

As I owned my Coupe for 45 year's..working on it over the year's, I've offen woundered what a story it would tell ? Like who was the first owner ?.Probably not a Family car being a Coupe..

The A was built in the Cleveland assembly plant..When I first bought the car in 69 , it had a Utah Saftey sticker on the windshield stating it passed a safety inspection in 65...

I thought that was pretty funny as it had almost no brake's on my drive home & almost crashed it when I couldn't get the car stopped at a "Stop sign". I bought the old crate from The now long gone Ford Obsolete in Long Beach (Cal.)

After going there for many year's to get part's,,"Four finger Frank" told me one time,,,You know we sold that A 3 times !!..Said some guy in the Navy bought it & sold it back to them after he got shipped out in a short time,,Then sold it to some gal in Garden Grove,,,She sold it back to them too.

Then I bought it in 69,,,It's been all apart 2 time's..The last time since 77...It's about 98 % done at this point..I call my A "Henry" & we have been thru a lot in the 45 year's we've been together...Now if I can get it done & Licensed,,I can drive off into the "Sunset"...

Never thought as a 19 year old "Kid" I'ed still have the car as a old geezer of 64,,Saw Old Frank at a swap meet one time & he asked me "Do you still have the A" ?..I said ya,,,He said laughting,,,when I sell a Car it stay's sold !!!..I guess he was right....

Wow,,my Model A & I, a lifetime's Journey .....

Greg out West,

Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: If my A could "talk" ?

Poke around in the corners and frame edges. Trapped dirt, rocks and stuff in the door panels will tell you a story. If you have a big gob of old grease, a chem analysis might tell about the stuff stuck in the goo. My Packard has a bijur lube system which gooes up the frame. stuck in the goo were original nuts and washers.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Greg out west

Question Re: If my A could "talk" ?

Hey Clem,,

Your right, the Coupe had a bottle opener in the rumble seat side brace..lot's of bottle cap's in the sides area's."Acme beer",,where was that sold ?.

I can just see some guy sitting in the back tossing the empty bottle's out as they went down some dirt road !!!!!! Also there were 3 holes up by the rear window on the driver's side..Bullet hole maybe, Who know ??? Model A get away car...

Greg out west
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
jdupay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg out west View Post

Hey Clem,,

Your right, the Coupe had a bottle opener in the rumble seat side brace..lot's of bottle cap's in the sides area's."Acme beer",,where was that sold ?.

I can just see some guy sitting in the back tossing the empty bottle's out as they went down some dirt road !!!!!! Also there were 3 holes up by the rear window on the driver's side..Bullet hole maybe, Who know ??? Model A get away car...

Greg out west

Acme was a California company that sold beer ut west - CA, AZ, NV. They were a pre-prohibition company that survived prohibition by selling other product and came back to own >50% of the CA market in the 40's.
jdupay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
BlueSunoco

Acme Beer was what Wiley Coyote used to drink, same place he bought anvils, dynamite, etc!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote