Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Greg out west

Lightbulb Door panel's "Clip's"

Hi Guy's

Asked a question a few week's ago about the door panel clip's...The one's that came in the L/B kit were way too strong..Checking around at a few part store's I think I found clip's that will work fine...

They are made by "Dorman" & the part # is 455200BP...They come in a pack of 6, so I'll need a few boxed to install my panel's...They look like the original's & the box say's fit's Ford's..

So if your having trouble with the one's in the upholstery Kit try these,,, I got them at O'Reilly's,,,

Greg out West
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
leo

Default Re: Door panel's "Clip's"

Why do you say they are too strong? The ones from my LB kit for my coupe were fine. They are stiff and tight but you want the panel to be firmly in place....No?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Greg out west

Lightbulb Re: Door panel's "Clip's"

Hey Leo,

I don't know if the clip's you used were thinner gauge. the one I tried were way too strong...One of the guy's here posted a picture of the original & repro clip's...You could see the original was thinner..

I tried the one's from Dorman & they snap in fine...I was thinking how would one get the panel's off with those strong clip's without tearing up the panel hole for the clip ??...

Anyway take care my friend

Greg out west,
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

did you ever inquire about it with L.B. ?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
Greg out west

Hey Mitch,

No,,,After dealing with them on this kit I don't want to even bother...Couldn't find the "seat button's" that went with the kit..Somebody just forgot to include them..I wrote them & included a sample of the material...Well it was partly my Fault as I didn't realize the button's were missing & just packed the kit away till I was ready to install.

Time went on & they no longer stocked the material to match the seat...To add insult to injury they wanted to charge me $40 buck's for the missing button's with material that didn't match !!!!!!!!!!

Just went to a Yardage store & got the button's & made my own from a scrap piece of material...I was just working on the door panel this morning & the new clip's are working fine...

Greg out West
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
leo

Greg, when I had to pop my door panels loose I needed to get my flat pry tool right under the clips otherwise as you said the panel would tear where the clip holes are.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Greg, when I had to pop my door panels loose I needed to get my flat pry tool right under the clips otherwise as you said the panel would tear where the clip holes are.
if i recall i think greg had a problem getting the clips to snap in

a door panel removal tool is the way to go for removing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Greg out west

Thumbs up Re: Door panel's "Clip's"

Hey Leo,

Mitch had it right,,I'am having a problem getting the clip's to snap in,,Like yesterday, I was using the new clip's & most of them snapped in/ When I got to the side by the window crank it was a no go !!...

After a few hour's I was about ready to glue the SOB in !!! What a mess,,Should take a few minutes,,,But I guess you could say I'am used to it "Fooling" with repro part's for 40+ year's...There used to be a saying at the old Ford Obsolete (in Long Beach Ca.) With every part you get a file to make it fit !!

Leo,,your right you need the panel tool to get it off,,I learned long ago,,,,get the right tool for the job.Thinking back the old butter knife wasn't that great as a screw driver...

Thank's for the help Guy's

Greg out West,

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
leo

I understand your problem now and I too had some trouble getting the snaps to pop in. In my case I found that the snap has to face the hole at a perfect 90 degrees because if it is at all crooked going into the hole it will not work. In order to do this you have to align all the snaps on the panel and when some go in and others do not it's usually because they moved while the process was in motion.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #10
Ed Saniewski

Hey Mitch, I checked the L B web site and did not see that tool. Where can I get one?
Thanks Ed Saniewski

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Most auto parts stores and Harbor Freight should have the tool. I think H/F sells the tool in a kit of upholserty tools.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Ron Lachniet

I had trouble with the clips turning and not lining up when I put the panel in, so after fighting with it for an hour I ran duct tape over the tabs after I had them lined up and it went together much easier.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
Hey Mitch, I checked the L B web site and did not see that tool. Where can I get one?
Thanks Ed Saniewski
Ed
they should be easily available try a search..
the black handled tool i show is snapon and the red is mac
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Greg out west

Thumbs up Re: Door panel's "Clip's"

Hi Guy's,,

Found the problem...It was the panel itself...The clip hole are off..The 2 side's were OK, but the side by the cowl are off about 1/4 inch..

As I went too push the clip's in they would go in crooked & fold over...After figuring out what was the problem & how to fix I just glued the panel in on the one side...

All the fooling with it messed up the cardboard, so the clip's wouldn't hold anymore...Now I'am praying I never have to remove the panel in he future...

Now,,when I do the other door I'll see if that panel is off & see if I can fix it before I get into "Trouble"

Thank's for all the help & idea's

Greg Out west,