Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Matts30coupe

Default Resurfacing a flywheel?

Hey there guys. I am in the process of putting my drivetrain back together. Problem is that my flywheel is pitted on the clutch side. I feel I can take off .020” to clean it up.

Question is that how much can I get away with removing? With this throw this out of tolerance? I feel the springs will take up the slack if it’s only a little amount. I rather not burn though my clutch due to it not being a good surface. Anything will help. Thanks all
Matt
Matts30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Resurfacing a flywheel?

You will notice at the perimeter of the flywheel friction surface a "recess." You may cut back the flywheel friction surface not to exceed this depth.

Of course cutting back will require adjustment of the fingers/tension to make sure of unit pressure/finger positioning.

I don't know the degree of pitting you're talking about. If 0.020 then it is not very severe. More important would be maintaining a localized "pit-ratio" of greater than (say) 70 percent - as in as it stands now is the un-rusted (machined) surface greater than 70 percent of the entire pitted surface? Less than this can give problems with long-term "uneven wear" and lead to pulsing/slippage. Given your fairly shallow pitting, I might say leave it alone if you have 70 percent good mating surface.

BUT - conversely - you're at that point. If you're going to do it, now is the time, and probably the last time it will be done. Good reason enough to do it.

You will want to mount your flywheel in the lathe on the crankshaft mating flange lest you make the flywheel clutch surface "wobble" and cause "pulsing" during engagement. Most shops who do this know instinctively how to do this best.

Joe K
Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
ryanheacox

Just to add, if you take .020 off of the flywheel surface you should also take the same amount off of the lip where the pressure plate bolts to. I believe the measurement you want is 1.123.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Just to add, if you take .020 off of the flywheel surface you should also take the same amount off of the lip where the pressure plate bolts to. I believe the measurement you want is 1.123.
And doing it this way removes any necessity for re-adjustment of the fingers/positions. You will have to adjust the throwout bearing - but that happens as the clutch wears also and would normally be done after a tear down anyway.

Joe K