Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Carbon Monoxide Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
If you want to talk to a survivor of being gassed two times, almost dead the second time, Pm me!
Similar thing happened to me at 20 years old working at the local Sunoco station. There was a 2 ton farm truck in for a tune up, we didn't bother to open a door or hook up the exhaust tube, was winter time, I passed out they carried me outside to revive me.

Worst headache I ever had in my life after I came to. I'll never forget that.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #22
daveymc29

I knew a fellow that came home with his girl friend after a night of frivolity and they toddled upstairs to bed. Never woke up and they were found to have died from CO poisoning. In their excitement they forgot to shut the car off. It was found with an empty tank and a dead battery, key in the ignition in the on position. Most of the fire fatalities I went to were from inhalation of products of combustion rather than burns. Gotta be careful out there.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #23
daveymc29

Might have mentioned that CO is odorless and colorless. If you have a bad leak into the cab you may become dizzy and not realize the cause. Roll down your window, drive to a safe spot off the roadway and find out why you are dizzy. 911 is a good number to remember for those occasions. The responders should be able to recognize the symptoms.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #24
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Like smoke detectors they have a limited life. Seems to be around 5 years. I try to check by taking out into the garage after backing the car in. If it goes off I figure its good.
Mine is more than five years old, and no, it does not work any more. Getting a new one. I'm more concerned with carbon monoxide from my shop heater than my car, which I never run inside, even with doors open.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote