Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #21
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Valve seat grinder

I didn't see the flathead pilot in the pictures, the box is from the era that would have it---it is long, it locates in both the lifter and valve guide bore---you have to take the lifter out to use the pilot
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
100IH

Default Re: Valve seat grinder

The top of the pilot is specific to the manufacturer although a few may share the same diameter. They do wear and cause problems. Using another manufacturer's Stone holders or dressers won't work if they are incompatible. Then comes the diameter of the lower end of the pilot which is subject to even more wear. Not everyone made special pilots for early Fords, though most probably did. My point is... for a well-intended beginner, buying pieces to make a kit can be a lesson in futility. Also, Kwikway is now the only game in town. All of the others died many years ago except Sioux, which was always my preferred brand. Sioux left about 6 yrs ago. Think about repair parts. Look close at what you are buying. Then a "complete set" in good shape at a higher price might be the best deal.. Now-days mom and pop shops may still use stones to grind seats but the larger shops all use a new, much more expensive, and faster method. One of the reasons so many small operations have folded .
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)