Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
PeterBo

Default Adjusting valve clearance

I have taken manifolds and valve cover off the block of my 1929 standard Model A and note clearances from tappers to valve stems of between 0.018 to 0.022". This is too large according to Les Andrews settings but I cannot see how to adjust the clearance to reduce them.

There does not seem to be any single or double locking nut adjustments at the top of the tappets (see picture). Am I missing something or do I have to remove sump/camshaft and buy locking adjustable lifters and fit them? Was this standard with no adjustment on original Model As?

image.jpg

Thanks Peter
PeterBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Adjusting valve clearance

Peter,
That's the stock set up. If slight ticking doesn't bother you, leave them alone. At least, none are too tight, which would contribute to valve burning.
Bill W.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
goodoldvic

There are no adjusters on the stock set up. The clearance is set by changing the length of the valve, or sinking the valve in the seat which is not good. They call them "tappets" for a reason. Good luck
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I'm with Bill.
A little tapping never hurt anything.
Leave it alone and enjoy it.

BTW you need not remove the manifolds to get the side cover off
Old 09-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
PC/SR

I am not so sure those are stock lifters. There seems to be flats on the side, I am looking at #2 from the right side, perhaps #4 from the right side. Can you let us know if there are flat sides on them, or am I just seeing things wrong?
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
Benson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If the camshaft is an un-reground Model B cam then:

This camshaft uses special lifters that are different from Model A lifters and the adjustable ones.

0.018 on the intakes and 0.022 on exhaust is close to normal specs for the un-reground Model B camshaft. [ 0.015 and 0.022 ]

The Model A original lifters used with the Original (unreground) Model A cam are not inter-changeable with the un-reground Model B cam. Damage may occur.

The new adjustable lifers should not be used with the Model B Unreground camshaft.

If I remember correctly the Original Model A cam was adjusted 0.015 and 0.015 which is different from the re-ground cams and the new Stipe cams.

See cam grinder for the clearances to be used with their cams.

Last edited by Benson; 09-10-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
I am not so sure those are stock lifters. There seems to be flats on the side, I am looking at #2 from the right side, perhaps #4 from the right side. Can you let us know if there are flat sides on them, or am I just seeing things wrong?
I think that's a shinny spot and not a flat.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
PeterBo

No - There are no flats. The valve stems are all cylindrcal. It is not a B block - just a straight stock engine.

I had the manifold off because there was a crack in the bolt attachment of the exhaust manifold. I had bought a new one and was fitting it when I figured for a little extra hour, I could check the tappet and valve clearances. That's when I ran into the issue of the large gap on the tappets.

I guess I will have to wait for a major engine overhaul to fit adjustable tappets.

Thanks all...
PeterBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBo View Post
No - There are no flats. The valve stems are all cylindrcal. It is not a B block - just a straight stock engine.

I had the manifold off because there was a crack in the bolt attachment of the exhaust manifold. I had bought a new one and was fitting it when I figured for a little extra hour, I could check the tappet and valve clearances. That's when I ran into the issue of the large gap on the tappets.

I guess I will have to wait for a major engine overhaul to fit adjustable tappets.

Thanks all...
A Model B camshaft can be installed in an A block and has been done many times.

The block does not have to be a Model B block to have a Model B cam.

I just mentioned it because the valve clearances that you report are close to those of the original un-reground Model B camshaft.

Over the years I am sure that more than one person with an un-reground Model B cam has readjusted the exhaust valve clearances to 0.015 and burned the exhaust valves.

Last edited by Benson; 09-10-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBo View Post
I have taken manifolds and valve cover off the block of my 1929 standard Model A and note clearances from tappers to valve stems of between 0.018 to 0.022". This is too large according to Les Andrews settings but I cannot see how to adjust the clearance to reduce them.

There does not seem to be any single or double locking nut adjustments at the top of the tappets (see picture). Am I missing something or do I have to remove sump/camshaft and buy locking adjustable lifters and fit them? Was this standard with no adjustment on original Model As?

Attachment 285059

Thanks Peter
Yes you can physically do this but the new lifters and the un-reground Model B camshaft will be damaged.

Here is Vince Falters web page on the subject:
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/valv...comparison.htm

As noted on Vince Falters webpage:

The Model B lifters have .070 larger heel and are .030 longer!

The cam "grind" must be designed for the new adjustable lifters that are sold today.

If you have a reground cam or a Stipe new cam then you have to use the lifters specified by the cam grinder.

The Model A and Model B lifers as they came from Ford were non-adjustable and you had to grind steel off the valve length to adjust the clearances.

If you got too much clearance then you used a new valve and started over.

Last edited by Benson; 09-10-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Changes made since original posting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!