Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
Kpar

Default 6 Volt Flasher

Hi all, anybody know where to get a 3 pole 6V positive/ground flasher unit.
Seems like the only place is UK or USA. Is there somewhere in Aust. I could get them ?.
Kpar
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:59 AM   #2
35ragtop

Default Re: 6 Volt Flasher

Hi Kpar,
I have a new one in the box, Bosch brand. Willing to sell it just pm me if interested.
regards
Dave h
( Gold Coast)
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
koates

Hi Keith, as long as the flasher unit is not electronic then it will work either positive or negative ground. Most older auto electrical shops would have them or a motor cycle shop also. I have some. Make sure that the 6 volt globes combined wattage on one side matches the wattage rating of the flasher unit otherwise the flash rate might be too fast or slow or might not work at all. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Hoop

The Bosch that Dave h has may be early 6V VW which should work fine ... mine does.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Kpar

Thanks Kevin & Hoop, I'm going to check out how the system was installed by previous owner. There seems to be no earth connection at switch ? shouldn't there be a completed circuit regardless of polarity.
Keith
Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
koates

Keith, the only reason the flasher switch would need an earth is for the warning light to work, otherwise it does not need an earth. It may get an earth through the steering column clamp but paint might prevent that. You have not explained what the problem is with the flashers. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Hi Keith, as long as the flasher unit is not electronic then it will work either positive or negative ground. Most older auto electrical shops would have them or a motor cycle shop also. I have some. Make sure that the 6 volt globes combined wattage on one side matches the wattage rating of the flasher unit otherwise the flash rate might be too fast or slow or might not work at all. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks Kevin I've always wondered why my indicators flash more rapidly than I want -I will check the wattage is balanced -Karl
Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #8
Kpar

Quote:
Keith, the only reason the flasher switch would need an earth is for the warning light to work, otherwise it does not need an earth. It may get an earth through the steering column clamp but paint might prevent that. You have not explained what the problem is with the flashers. Regards, Kevin.
Kevin, at first the indicator light stopped working and lights flashing fast. After half hour run no indicators at all flasher felt very hot. Let it cool still not working so I thought it was burnt out.
I done a test this morning, Batt to the X terminal & hooked a bulb up to the L terminal and the bulb flashed as it should. No flashing of the indicator light though. I've either got a wiring problem or switch on the column.
Could I just hook the indicator light up to the L terminal ?.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

I've bought them on eBay (I believe it was) Anyhow. I'll try and find mine tomorrow and post who to contact. Works great. By the way, anyone know where I can buy a 6V clicker for one? The 6V buzzer is driving me crazy.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:03 PM   #10
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
The 6V buzzer is driving me crazy.
That is the reason it is there, so you will turn it off

A cotton ball on the noise outlet wrapped with electrical tape until it is not
as obnoxious will make it more tolerable.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #11
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpar View Post
Kevin, at first the indicator light stopped working and lights flashing fast. After half hour run no indicators at all flasher felt very hot. Let it cool still not working so I thought it was burnt out.
I done a test this morning, Batt to the X terminal & hooked a bulb up to the L terminal and the bulb flashed as it should. No flashing of the indicator light though. I've either got a wiring problem or switch on the column.
Could I just hook the indicator light up to the L terminal ?.
If you hook your indicator to the L terminal current will be flowing through the relay at all time...not good.
Have you tried hooking a testlight to the P terminal or a small bulb just to check there isnīt an issue in the circuit to the indicator.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:22 AM   #12
koates

Keith, NO, cant connect warning light to the L terminal, has to go on the P terminal which stands for Pilot light. The L terminal stands for LOAD as in the load of two bulbs on one side of the car. That load has to be the correct wattage of the two bulbs which is approx. 36 watts to make the flasher unit work correctly. If that load is not close to correct then the flasher unit wont flash at the correct rate (speed) and possibly wont operate the pilot light either. That's what the pilot light is for to warn you that the outside lights are not working correctly. Each of your outside bulbs should be 6 volt 18 watts. The yanks rate their bulbs (we call em globes) in CP or CANDLEPOWER which is fairly close to watts in number. We don't need to go into that but I guess someone will pipe up with an explanation to vent their electrical knowledge. So check each of your outside bulbs and make sure they are 18 watts each and test that thay actually work by powering them up. Not likely that you have a wiring fault if they worked before. Make sure each light has a good earth or ground to the chassis. If you buy a new flasher unit make sure it is 6 volt 36 watts and has three terminals. There are many variations here and the VW ones mentioned may have different terminals which will only confuse the issue for you. The X or power terminal should be fused with a 10 amp fuse. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #13
flatheadmurre

The bimetall flashers are simple creatures.
When you apply load to it a bimetall is heated upp until it opens the points...cools off and closes again.
The higher load (w) you apply the more heat it manages to absorb before opening...thatīs why full load flashes slower then just one bulb.
The pilot light is just another set of points working in parallel.
I prefer 21w bulbs over the 18w...only difference is perhaps you can notice a bit slower flashing.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 AM   #14
Kpar

Thanks Kevin, pulled the switch off the column , couple of wires are not connected and other two are loose. Just got to sort out where they go.
I might send you a PM if you don't mind
Keith
Old 06-30-2020, 01:10 AM   #15
koates

murrie, yes I prefer the 21 watt globes too, but not always easy for guys to find in 6 volt. They are a little brighter than the 18 watt ones. Then you should find a 42 watt flasher unit to make the flash rate good. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #16
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpar View Post
Thanks Kevin, pulled the switch off the column , couple of wires are not connected and other two are loose. Just got to sort out where they go.
I might send you a PM if you don't mind
Keith
Keith, that's ok. So sounds like a bit of bad workmanship there. Terminals should not come loose or off if done carefully. Make sure you tell me the make of the switch or terminal markings. Clear pics would be good. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:02 AM   #17
Kpar

Quote:
Keith, that's ok. So sounds like a bit of bad workmanship there. Terminals should not come loose or off if done carefully. Make sure you tell me the make of the switch or terminal markings. Clear pics would be good. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks Kevin. Bolts & nuts ok Electrics poo.
Attached is a photo of what I think was the connection.
Your advice.
Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (10.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:52 AM   #18
koates

Keith. Your switch is made by Hella and your wiring is not correct. Terminal 54 connects to the L (load) terminal on the flasher unit. Terminal K connects to the P terminal (pilot light)on the flasher unit. L and R go to the left and right wires for your flasher lamps. Terminal X on flasher unit connects through a 10 amp in line fuse to battery power which is Negative on your Positive ground car. There is a short brown wire that is soldered into the flasher switch which has to be grounded for the pilot light. Pilot light is in the end of the flasher switch arm. Good luck. Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #19
Kpar

Quote:
Keith. Your switch is made by Hella and your wiring is not correct. Terminal 54 connects to the L (load) terminal on the flasher unit. Terminal K connects to the P terminal (pilot light)on the flasher unit. L and R go to the left and right wires for your flasher lamps. Terminal X on flasher unit connects through a 10 amp in line fuse to battery power which is Negative on your Positive ground car. There is a short brown wire that is soldered into the flasher switch which has to be grounded for the pilot light. Pilot light is in the end of the flasher switch arm. Good luck. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks Kevin, Will try again to send you a PM
Keith