Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2021, 02:37 AM   #1
coachstaff

Default door pin removal

I want to install side mirrors on my 1931 Victoria. I've been told to use hinge mirrors. Is that correct? How difficult is it to remove the existing pins on the doors? I found a door hinge puller online, but it states don't use on Slant Windshields which the Vicky has. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
coachstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
chap52

Default Re: door pin removal

Sometimes they punch up and out with no problem. "Sometimes"... I had to drill down from the top a ways and then punch and hammer from the bottom. Tape pieces of cardboard in all the areas surrounding the hinge. Might spray some PB Blaster on the hinge and swing the door back and forth a few times first. Wait a few minutes, or overnight and go for it. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

These are the mirrors on my Victoria:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LH Mirror 242KB.jpg (48.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg LH Mirror 259KB.jpg (78.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg RH Mirror 226KB.jpg (52.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
WHN

My recommendation is to install hinge mirrors. Hinge pin removal can be a problem but just take your time. Use a penetrating oil and let it sit. If the pin is really worn, it could have a flat spot that will hold it in place. With a little help, it will still come out.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

I used one of the heavy duty hinge pin removal tools I think I got from Bert's in Colorado. It has 2 heavy duty cross bars and 2 big bolts that go thru them. It is a little awkward to use but it will get the pins out.

Penetrating oil for several days and then the removing tool and I have always been able to get them out. I think it was about $ 40.00 but well worth it.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:54 AM   #6
7_Zero

The hinge pin removal tool Chris refers to will not work on the slant window cars without modification as the hinge pins are larger in diameter. The hole in the tool that the pin goes through must be enlarged for it to work.

If the tool coachstaff is referring to is the version sold by Bratton's, it looks like they originally state it is not for use with slant window or open cars, but then later refer to purchasing larger diameter pins for use on these cars. It sounds like the tool would actually work, but only with the purchase of the extra pins.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
ronn

this topic was discussed previously and there was mention of pouring "hot wax" on the pin. it penetrates and supposedly the pin comes right out........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
Superhart

I had a slightly different problem installing these mirrors on my 1931 Coupe. The pin that comes with the kit is 1/4" diameter. On the drivers side I was able to remove the top pin rather easily with a nail set punch and hammer followed by using a length of 7/32 rod to complete the removal. The new pin installed easily and worked great. Remember to support the rear of the open door while doing this because the weight of the door will un-align the holes in the hinge parts due to its weight when the pin is finally removed.
Now on to the passenger door. Pin removal was a little more difficult but finally succeeded. The top of the pin was knurled. Then the new pin would not fit, too big. Measuring the removed pins with a micrometer revealed that the passenger pin was indeed slightly smaller in diameter. Apparently one side of the hinges had been replaced at some point in time. I had to mask off the paint around the hinge and drill out the hinge using a long 1/4" bit and drill. That solved the problem and the mirror got installed and thankfully the door is still aligned. If I ever remove the mirrors I will need to obtain a new 1/4" pin from Snyders,
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote