Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #21
flatford8

Default Re: Who's gonna fill their shoes?

I have a lot of hope that this little guy (our grandson) will be interested in my old junk...Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93CE7B94-4582-4B01-AD84-7217E338A1E8.jpg (58.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg B6B91A6D-F4F0-4436-AC1C-90A7CC536AB0.jpg (29.2 KB, 3 views)
Billy Joe Shaver

Last edited by flatford8; 03-03-2021 at 04:42 AM.
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #22
mercman from oz

That is cute. Yes, we need to keep training our younger ones if we want our hobby to survive.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #23
53Customline

I worked in Nashville for a while & came up behind George with No Show tags. I think it was a Bentley.
I’m not a spring chicken but got new Grandson which I intend & hope to peak his interest in my 53 Customline.
Family car since 53 originally purchased by his Great Great Grandmother.
I guess up to us to peak the interest in some youngster related or not.
53Customline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #24
GB SISSON

I do know that there are young guys out there that love this stuff. I enjoy watching the many videos of the 'Race of Gentlemen'. They have amazing cars and bikes. It's great some of you have chimed in! Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #25
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
I think you underestimate the younger generations. Go take a look at the HAMB. Flatheads are pretty popular.

I've been on the Hamb since 99. I'm just conveying the feeling of the people around me that are at shows or I meet. There are a few. My old club in Florida was 5 guys. Only 3 of us were committed to build period correct only. We were a small group at most shows around. County I lived in was over a million people.

Mn is streetrod country. Shows I've gone to local here is 97% street rods. The rest is model A / T guys. Handful of flathead hotrodder or restorers.

Always try and talk/network with the flathead nuts when I meet them.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:46 AM   #26
Pdstark

I believe there are a few younger car enthusiasts with a desire to carry on some traditions and styles - but each generation tends to walk in their own shoes - so loss is inevitable. And, I doubt my old Ford will have easy access to gasoline in 25-30 years. Time to start designing the electric flathead.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #27
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdstark View Post
I believe there are a few younger car enthusiasts with a desire to carry on some traditions and styles - but each generation tends to walk in their own shoes - so loss is inevitable. And, I doubt my old Ford will have easy access to gasoline in 25-30 years. Time to start designing the electric flathead.

There is no such thing as an electrical flathead. Gas will be around for a long while. Supply and demand would make gas cheaper as demand is less due to electric and alternative transportation. But the lesser demand will also make it rare and less available to be cheap as no one will want to make it or process it as it's too expensive to do so. Neither is going to happen anytime soon. It's a slow change. So have fun.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:05 AM   #28
Pdstark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
There is no such thing as an electrical flathead. Gas will be around for a long while. Supply and demand would make gas cheaper as demand is less due to electric and alternative transportation. But the lesser demand will also make it rare and less available to be cheap as no one will want to make it or process it as it's too expensive to do so. Neither is going to happen anytime soon. It's a slow change. So have fun.
The “electric flathead” was a humorous tongue-in-cheek comment intended to address the inevitable demise of the internal combustion engine in cars.
You’re probably right about gas, but lets compare notes in 25 - 30 years. 😊
Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #29
Will D

Quote:
A little facetious...not Ford but...BEHOLD the Electric Flathead.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideev...le-you-up/amp/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210303_061622.jpg (58.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:18 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
A little facetious...not Ford but...BEHOLD the Electric Flathead.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/insideev...le-you-up/amp/
I'm just hoping it has a blue tooth speaker snorting out some v twin music hidden in the exhaust.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #31
Tinker

Nice Bike! I'm into hit/miss motors. Once it's running warm, it'll run on motor oil.

1928 witte 3.5hp throttler. Old oil pump rig. Put a couple stacked tractor mufflers on it, otherwise it sounded like a shotgun everytime it fired and you couldn't here it turning.
It'll run about an hour on a soup can of gas and uses a magneto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVnPdRjCU4

Last edited by Tinker; 03-05-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #32
GB SISSON

And mine... It was given to me in about '87 . Stuck real good and missing head and it's related components. I spun out a wood pattern for a new head on my wood lathe. I had it cast in iron at a manhole cover foundry. An 80 year old neighbor who was a retired machinist did the machine work using caterpillar valves I had. At 34 years old, I guess I was the guy who was gonna fill his shoes. But don't get me wrong, I am no machinist. But there is NO Doubt I love old machinery. A spectator took this video unbeknownst to me and years later I found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5EaCZk5vo
Old 03-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #33
Graeme / New Zealand

Our Ford shoes will be filled by electric, guess that is progress. ICE replaced horse and cart and that wasn't accepted at first. Suppose we can count ourselves lucky to have enjoyed the best of those years because generations to come wont be able to and that is not too far in the future.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #34
Will D

Quote:
Nice Bike! I'm into hit/miss motors. Once it's running warm, it'll run on motor oil.

1928 witte 3.5hp throttler. Old oil pump rig. Put a couple stacked tractor mufflers on it, otherwise it sounded like a shotgun everytime it fired and you couldn't here it turning.
It'll run about an hour on a soup can of gas and uses a magneto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVnPdRjCU4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
And mine... It was given to me in about '87 . Stuck real good and missing head and it's related components. I spun out a wood pattern for a new head on my wood lathe. I had it cast in iron at a manhole cover foundry. An 80 year old neighbor who was a retired machinist did the machine work using caterpillar valves I had. At 34 years old, I guess I was the guy who was gonna fill his shoes. But don't get me wrong, I am no machinist. But there is NO Doubt I love old machinery. A spectator took this video unbeknownst to me and years later I found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5EaCZk5vo

Speaking of hit/miss motors, have you fellas seen this guy on the YouTube?

Here a link to a small clip: https://youtu.be/PwW6y23a8fU

Maybe electric will fall flat on its face once they realize the mass accumulating battery waste is worse of an impact on the earth that burning fuel. Long live the flathead.

My 10yr old is showing interest in our old Fords so that's one more to try help carry on. But honestly his heart is set on being a steam locomotive engineer! Told him work might be hard to come by so he figures he'll be a doctor to afford his own branch line. I ask him how he's going to handle the dirty bits a doctor has to deal with, his response: "I'll get the nurse to do that!" Gave me a good chuckle. He could explain the inner/outer workings of a steam engine better than most could understand at 5yrs old, along with correct part names.

Who's gonna fill their shoes? There is hope, even if only a little, there is hope. Our flatheads aren't going away any time soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210305_201646.jpg (74.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:03 AM   #35
GB SISSON

Yes, I have seen that video. That guy and his truck are awesome. I know for sure there will be some young'uns left to fill our shoes. I have met every August for 35 years at the Lynden Washington meet of the Puget Sound Antique Tractor and Machinery Association. Looking back we were kids then, and now we are grandparents. It's four days of grease, rust and smoke and letting the kids/grandkids eat 3 hot dogs a day and run free on 80 acres of beautiful showgrounds. The kids pull a small sled with their straight piped garden tractors in the pulls, and fetch us water for running the engines. They will have a lot of iron at their disposal in the years to come. That's a good thing.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #36
tubman

I think the comparison with horses is particularly apt. Although horses have not been an important component of transportation for a century, there are still are plenty of them around. Our cars haven't been important comp0onents for a while either. Horses are now a hobby, just like out cars are. It's true that they are a hobby for the affluent, but let's be frank, most of us are better off than the average person. There are plenty of Tack Shops and feed dealers around most larger metropolitan areas. Horses, as a hobby are not going to disappear anytime in the foreseeable future and neither are "antique cars".

We've all been through "Horse Country" and have seen the opulent stables, horses farms, and large, elegantly fenced pasture areas. I think old cars are even a better hobby than horses and will remain even more popular because you don't have to feed them, exercise them, or clean up after them when they are not being used. I believe quality automobiles will remain high in value for a long time.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:12 AM   #37
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I think the comparison with horses is particularly apt. Although horses have not been an important component of transportation for a century, there are still are plenty of them around. Our cars haven't been important comp0onents for a while either. Horses are now a hobby, just like out cars are. It's true that they are a hobby for the affluent, but let's be frank, most of us are better off than the average person. There are plenty of Tack Shops and feed dealers around most larger metropolitan areas. Horses, as a hobby are not going to disappear anytime in the foreseeable future and neither are "antique cars".

We've all been through "Horse Country" and have seen the opulent stables, horses farms, and large, elegantly fenced pasture areas. I think old cars are even a better hobby than horses and will remain even more popular because you don't have to feed them, exercise them, or clean up after them when they are not being used. I believe quality automobiles will remain high in value for a long time.
Dangit Tubman... That was so very well said and thought out. I understand EXACTLY what you are getting at. A college guy might say that was a very astute observation.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #38
Tinker

I guess I like a little of both and keep my head up. Dig solar, dig flatheads. There is a world with both, always for everything. We be playing chess not checkers. It's not a switch. Best to just care for your neighbor. Save all your parts and sell them to people.

Have a buick 12v gen I can run off my 1927 1.5hp McCormick Deering to charge batteries. I call it my 400lbs gas powered battery charger. A couple solar panels might do it better really. Out side politics, I see no reason I can't have both. It's sad to see Americans get so bent out of shape and even lie about science. One side says we are all going to die, the other says nothing is wrong. I tend to go with George Carlins idea. "Save the earth, who are we? the earth isn't going anywhere... we are" hahaha

GB that's a true Hit/Miss. 6hp? Throttlers hit ever 4 strokes, a hit/miss only hits when the governor rpms are low (the reason for the name hit/miss). That would run a machine shop in the twenties. Cool rig. Dig those old motors.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-06-2021 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #39
GB SISSON

Quote:
I guess I like a little of both and keep my head up. Dig solar, dig flatheads. There is a world with both, always for everything. We be playing chess not checkers. It's not a switch. Best to just care for your neighbor. Save all your parts and sell them to people.

Have a buick 12v gen I can run off my 1927 1.5hp McCormick Deering to charge batteries. I call it my 400lbs gas powered battery charger. A couple solar panels might do it better really. Out side politics, I see no reason I can't have both. It's sad to see Americans get so bent out of shape and even lie about science. One side says we are all going to die, the other says nothing is wrong. I tend to go with George Carlins idea. "Save the earth, who are we? the earth isn't going anywhere... we are" hahaha

GB that's a true Hit/Miss. 6hp? Throttlers hit ever 4 strokes, a hit/miss only hits when the governor rpms are low (the reason for the name hit/miss). That would run a machine shop in the twenties. Cool rig. Dig those old motors.
8hp 6" bore, 12" stroke 2125 lbs. I run it at 75 rpms as an average. It's coasting at about 50 rpm when it finally hits again.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:55 AM   #40
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
8hp 6" bore, 12" stroke 2125 lbs. I run it at 75 rpms as an average. It's coasting at about 50 rpm when it finally hits again.

Beautiful piece of machinery.