Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Ozyrodder

Default 1932 Roadster Top Iron Bow Fasteners

Can someone please identify the locations of the various fasteners to attach top bows to irons on 32 roadster.

I have identified in the 32 book that the t bolts go on the bottoms of the 3rd or rear bow, and the screws attach the header bow. I am unsure on the location for the machine screw and nut as pictured.

IMG_1005.JPG
Ozyrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 Roadster Top Iron Bow Fasteners

Originally the header bow was attached to each side of the top irons with a machine screw such as in your photo that was threaded into a T-nut inserted into a the header bow from the front. Obviously the hole in the bow was stepped with the larger diameter only deep enough so that no part of the T-nut protruded outside of the outer surface of the header. The second fastener per side was a wood screw.

It is highly unlikely that your reproduction header bow (assuming that is what you have) has the large stepped hole on each end for the T-nuts. If it does, consider yourself lucky. If not, it can be added or you could take a chance and use two wood screws per side. There is a risk that over time that the wood screws will loosen as a two- wood-screw attachment is not nearly as secure or strong as the original arrangement.

To avoid a depression in the top material where the large hole existed, wood plugs filled the holes once the nuts were installed which were then trimmed down to leave a smooth, hole-less surface. I use wood filler for that purpose.

(For the purist, the T-nut shown in the above photo is not exactly what was used originally as that was a slotted round nut with tapered sides, but unless you salvaged those from an original header bow you will likely not be able to find an equal to the original nut and the T-nut is a satisfactory replacement.)

I have an original header bow from which I could provide the exact location of the holes for the T-nuts, but I cannot access it until late next month. They are however self-defining as it is critical that the side of the brackets at the front of the header bow are flush with the ends of the header.

But first you must satisfy yourself that the relationship between the windshield frame, the windshield posts, and the header bow is what it should be so that when the front top iron brackets are on the dowel ends of the windshield posts that the header bow tips come to the outer edge of the top iron brackets. If not, depending on whether or not your windshield frame and the cones that fit into the cups in the upper inner part of the windshield posts are originals or accurate reproductions or otherwise, you may have to make some alterations.

Last edited by DavidG; 07-28-2018 at 11:03 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
Ozyrodder

Thank you David, I was hoping you saw my post. My reproduction header has no hole and I will need to drill it out and fill as you have indicated. Wood screw to inside or outside? On your advice I would prefer to do this accurately and secure.

I also received two sets of the t-nuts and assume from my research that the intermediate or number 2 bow on Model A also has a t-nut on the end of the bow, unlike 32 Ford so I have used wood screws solely.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
DavidG

The machine screws and T-nuts are the outer fasteners. Yes, except for that unique fastener arrangement at the bottom ends of the #3 bow, all other attachments are with wood screws (likely you know this, but do not use brass wood screws as they are likely to shear when screwed into Oak, even with pilot holes.)

Last edited by DavidG; 07-27-2018 at 07:30 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
rockfla

As for your wood screws, use Silicone Bronze if you can find them.....They will be weather/corrosion resistant and be stronger than brass. Depending on the size I MAY have them in stock...PM me IF you can't find any. *****CORRECTION***** at second look at your picture, the wood screws appear to be Oval Heads which I do not stock but given the size I "may" be able to find them for you, all I stock is the flat head wood screw in Silicone Bronze OR I know I can supply them in SS.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Ozyrodder

Thanks all.