Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
jim1932

Default Generator connection off?

My 32 B has been running great and no issues. The prior owner has the battery mounted on the firewall. I removed the battery tray moved the battery under the floor and put on new battery cables. The car starts and runs well but the battery is not charging. Only thing I can think of is the cable from the generator to the starter not making good contact? The only related change was the replacing the battery cable to the starter.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Generator connection off?

At the point where the battery negative cable is connected on the starter switch should also be a yellow wire to the ammeter. Do you have the wiring diagram?? Without a connection to the battery the car ignition should not work and car would not start. I suspect the battery may be connected properly but the generator output through the yellow/black wire to the ammeter may be open circuit. Does the ammeter show a constant discharge when the car is running?
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
jim1932

yes, it is showing 0 or a discharge.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
DavidG

Jim,

Is your starter switch the early one mounted on the starter motor or the late switch mounted on the steering gear box? I ask as the wiring is different depending on the starter switch location.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here is one set of the diagrams. Looks to be starter mounted switch. Would appear to me it about has to be the generator not functioning properly or the wiring between the generator and the ammeter has an issue. If it is wired per this diagram you could place a jumper across the ammeter and elemi ate any problem there. But if the ignition and lights are working that is most likely not an issue. From your original post it appears your car may be wired differently than this set of diagrams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 4 cyl early.jpg (74.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 32 4 cyl 2.jpg (105.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 07-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Terry,OH

Since the ammeter shows zero or slight discharge and the car starts it confirms the problem is the generator, cutout or the generator wire to the ammeter may also be the generator ground through it's mounting brackets. If you have a jumper wire you can connect from a good ground to the generator body if it starts to charge the generator grounding is the problem. If not remove the jumper from generator and ground then jumper the cutout while engine is running, if it starts to charge the cut out is bad remove the jumper and then turn off the engine.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 07-20-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Jim,

Is your starter switch the early one mounted on the starter motor or the late switch mounted on the steering gear box? I ask as the wiring is different depending on the starter switch location.
I am not sure what you are asking. The coupe is a model B. It has the pull knob on on the steering column and the lever/switch on the starter.

Of course something may have worn out, but the only thing I did was change the battery cables. I may have them out of order, or may need to clean contacts. I will try that, I also has pretty weak headlights..... may need more ground.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
petehoovie

Given that all you did was to change the battery cables, I suspect the polarity of battery cables may be reversed. Switch them 180 and see what happens....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
DavidG

Jim,

While the cable-operated starter switch is the most common variety encountered in Model Bs such as yours, late production Bs use the V8 starter switch with its floor-mounted push rod. The starter motor was revised as was the main wiring harness to accommodate the change.

JSeery has provided the correct wiring diagram for your coupe. The attached photo may be of some help along with that wiring diagram.

The comment above about the generator grounding to the intake manifold applies to V8s, not to fours as the two are on opposite sides of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 014.jpg (76.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #10
Terry,OH

David is correct I have corrected my post above, to remove reference to the generator grounding through intake manifold, since that is a V8 issue and not 4 Cyl.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 07-20-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #11
jim1932

Photos, Anyone see anything not right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.jpg (45.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1784.jpg (34.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1785.jpg (30.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1786.jpg (28.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #12
Terry,OH

Does your car have a fuse for the lighting system? It should be mounted under the dash on the drivers side support panel (I believe like the V8). Does your horn work? It appears some early cars did not have the fuse and when the fuse was added in production the wiring also changed (Ammeter, Horn etc.). The diagram in post #5 above is for a car without the fuse. Your photos show a lot of previous repairs on very old wiring. When I see plastic insulated wire terminations I am always leery of bad connections due to the use of improper crimpers and the insulated terminations are never soldered because that would melt the plastic insulation. Often replacing wire terminations makes the wire short and short wires place additional stress on the termination connections to the wire, this results in wires breaking at the terminations.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #13
DavidG

Apart from the obvious incorrect routing of the negative battery cable (you risk interference with the brake and/or clutch pedal) and some iffy connections (at the ammeter and ignition switch), the wiring harness (not really a harness, but rather a bunch of individual wires of various gauges and apparent ages) appears to be homemade and long past its "best by" date. If it were mine, I'd replace all of it with a proper replacement harness, such as one from Rhode Island Wiring.

Terry,

The fuse block was added when the starter and switch were changed.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
jim1932

the wiring harness is on the list to replace. I think I still have one of Tyree's that came with the car.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
jim1932

Also, the long bolt mounting the starter was from when the battery was under the hood. As I recall the ground goes to one of the transmission bolts.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
Terry,OH

From what David just posted #13 your car should not have the lighting fuse. So the schematic diagram JSerry #5 is correct your car. I can't think of a better time to replace the wiring harness. Tyree makes a very good harness. Make sure the harness you have is correct for your car, before you start.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #17
jim1932

Wow, been an issue for a while. Yes I am slow. Only get to work on it once a month or so. I replaced all of the wiring with kits from Rhode Island wiring. Car starts and runs, which is good, but something is off. with the battery disconnected, the ammeter points straight up in normal position. With starter switch off as normal, when I hook up that battery it jumps way up in the charging area. If I turn the start toggle to on, it just about pegs on the charging side. I start the car and it act perfectly normal with a slight charge. Any idea which wire is in the wrong spot?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #18
DavidG

Your wires on the ammeter are reversed as it should show a discharge, not a charge when you activate the ignition switch. Plus with all switches off, the ammeter should not register any movement when you hook up both posts of the battery. If it does, there is a closed circuit somewhere in the electrical system where the battery is grounding out. With your ammeter wires reversed, you are getting a discharge when it reads charging so when running, it is not acting "perfectly normal"
Old 03-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #19
jim1932

ARRRGGHHH> thanks Dave. Back to drawing board
Old 03-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
koates

Check that the generator cut out contacts are open when the engine is not running. Better still disconnect the battery wire from the front of the cut out (radiator side) and see if the ammeter reading is at zero with engine off. Report back. Did you ever get a good working (tested) generator fitted to you car. Battery should be positive to ground for the ammeter to read correctly. If the battery is connected positive to ground then the ammeter is connected back to front. You seem to have a long running problem with this car so maybe a good old auto electrician could sort this out. Pay my return air fare from Australia and I will fix it for you. Regards Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote