Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #21
Junknshit
Banned

Default Re: 1932 pedal plate ID?????

Jim, since 32 was before laptops, are you sure that wasn't standard equipment so that the owner could program timing , fuel curve, etc?...........
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #22
materguru

david
do you have a picture of the plates assembled. i know it would be hard to see all but what holds the plates down as the wood floor does not allow for screws to go through every mounting hole area. do you know what all the holes are for in the bottom plate ie the 1/8 holes. Also, so i get the sequence right. the completely rectangle plate that you refer to as "lower" go where? Does not look like it will fit with the 45 degrees center side of firewall.
thanks for your response.
materguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #23
HIGHTOWER611

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...l+plate&page=2
HIGHTOWER611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #24
DavidG

I've no photo of it all attached to the #1 floorboard, but the following should get you there: The are three countersunk holes stamped into the upper plate (the one on top of the wood floorboard), one each in the corners on the left side of the plate and one in the center of the plate on the right side near the edge. All three are for #12-24 flat head screws that attach the board assembly to the leg of the firewall (the two on the left side of the plate) and the lower lip of the firewall itself (the one on the right side of the upper plate). With both plates in your hands note how the holes in the lower left corner and upper right corner of the lower plate line up exactly with the countersunk holes in the lower left corner and right center of the upper plate and at the same time all of the cutouts for the pedals and steering column line up exactly as well. This is how the final assembly will be when attached to the #1 wood floorboard with the sponge rubber weather seal between the two plates approximating the thickness of the plywood. The three little holes (originally they were smaller than 1/8") along the bottom edge of the lower plate is where tacks or nails were used to attach the lower plate to the engine compartment side of the wood floorboard so that it could all be assembled outside of the car into a whole assembly.

The remaining hole on the left side of the upper plate (not countersunk) is for the attachment of a stud (push pin) to retain the floor mat/carpeting. It is one of four such mat/carpet retainers strung along near the top of the #1 floorboard from one end to the other. The other three locations have a steel female socket inserted from the underside of the wood board into holes which are hopefully already in your board. The photos below show the sockets and the studs (one for mats and the other for carpeting) that insert into the sockets and the upper pedal plate hole in its left side. Both the female sockets and both types of push pins are difficult to come by in their original form. If you have the original #1 floorboard, likely it still has the original three female sockets intact and they normally can be removed and reused. (All three photos are from Appendix 11 of the book.)

Your sponge rubber weather seal may or may not have holes that line up with the three countersunk holes for the screws passing through the upper plate. If not, you'll have to add those holes for the screws to pass through. No separate hole in the weather seal is necessary for the mat/carpet retaining stud as they aren't very long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc. 834.jpg (13.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg misc. 835.jpg (13.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg misc. 837.jpg (16.1 KB, 11 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #25
glennpm

Hi David,

Can you please tell me if the "Floating Stud" is for the underside of the carpet? I have a set, new repros for the wood but all are the capped stud type. I think they may be for a mat?

The link mentioned in this thread is helpful for hole placement.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...56&postcount=5

Thanks,
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sockets and Caps for Floor Mat.jpg (71.9 KB, 17 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
DavidG

Hi Glenn,

The floating stud is for use with carpets. The T-shaped studs like the two in your photo are for use with rubber mats. The fastener in the lower right corner of your photo inserts into phaeton/roadster door inner panels and serves as the attachment of the special nails that retain the door trim panels of the standard versions of those two body types. The upper socket in your photo is unknown to me.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #27
glennpm

Thank you David!

You amaze me with all the specific details you know.

Best regards,
Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote