Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #21
Mike in AZ

Default Re: About to start a flathead V8

Mind look into converting the distributor to crab style cap. New cap, rotor, wires, clips to hold down crab cap. Have fun with your flathead. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #22
B-O-B

Bob Drake has a nice set of one piece radiator hoses. They have the correct bends for your engine.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #23
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintrex View Post
Ok, so to even get close to a point where I could think of giving this motor a twirl I have to take care of the distributor which we talked about already. The radiator hoses are shredded and even look to be somewhat charred. So, on that note has anyone used any particular kit that has worked well or are flex hoses pretty much the "go to". I measured it at approximately 25" so they are fairly long.

Next, distributor cap and wire sets...? I would like to know what has worked well for others so I don't waste funds...

Eventually I would like to gravitate towards 12v but if that isn't recommended please also advise...

Were do you want to be?

Lot's to think about when going through a motor. Hows your compression or bearings? Not even thinking about brakes and stopping...

If you just want to get up and running. Stay 6v and get the systems that are there already clean and ready to run. Most likely it'll run for a few or 70 more years. Burnouts excluded.

Most of the general supply places have hoses and dizzy parts.

If you know where you want to be electronically and feel you know what you want out of the engine. You can make a plan.

If you want to have fun driving it as is... clean the oil pan, block, rad, and send the coil and dizzy off to skip and bubba. Chase or replace wire harnesses as needed.

If you want to go whole hog. Start talking to rebuilders and buying parts.

I picked up a 36 coupe 5yrs ago that needed everything to complete it. But I replaced a burnt exhaust valve for $7 (compression good outside that cylinder, oil pressure nice), recored the radiator, replaced all the electric, rebuilt the coil (skip), did the dizzy (bubba), and went through the rest of it. Been driving it ever since. Took about 6 months to be road worthy. It's no luxury air ride deal or tire burner, but I like it.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-20-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #24
G.M.

Remove spark plugs, put a little MMO in the cylinders and a rag over the holes
so you don't make a big mess. I would have a mechanical oil pressure gauge
on it. Spin with 12 volts to the starter. The pressure you read will be what you
have at 45 MPH. If the pressure is real low the front bypass or the pump
spring may be weak. G.M.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #25
vintrex

i was going to change out my wires with a new set of uncut 8mm and wondered if 6v would be a problem....has anyone had issues with similar?
vintrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #26
47COE

Your car will run fine with a 6 volt system. Only reason to switch to 12 volt would be that you want to run some 12 volt devices.

The 47 uses a rabbit ears distributor cap. I tried switching to a crab distributor cap but found that it is affected by moisture and will run rough or just plain not run. So I switched back to the rabbit ears.

Sending the distributor to Bubba's along with new plugs, wires, caps and rotor would be a good idea for long term reliability.
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
B-O-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47COE View Post
Your car will run fine with a 6 volt system. Only reason to switch to 12 volt would be that you want to run some 12 volt devices.

The 47 uses a rabbit ears distributor cap. I tried switching to a crab distributor cap but found that it is affected by moisture and will run rough or just plain not run. So I switched back to the rabbit ears.

Sending the distributor to Bubba's along with new plugs, wires, caps and rotor would be a good idea for long term reliability.
47 did you try spraying the crab with WD 40?
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #28
Drbrown

Looks like someone already changed-out your OE distributor for a good-old crabby. I second having Bubba (or Charlie NY) do you distributor and recommend staying with the stock points set up. My '47 came with an electronic unit in the distributor but had so much trouble with burn-outs I converted back to stock points (very pricey experience) .... all good ever since.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote