Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #21
TRP

Default Re: What's going on here?!

Thanks, RawhideKid. It already has an alternator and I'm pretty sure it's negative ground already. I'll just head to the depot and get a good quality meter and get to gettin'. I have a full FSI Zipper with negative ground on the way.

The only thing stopping me is that we start a MAJOR kitchen remodel on Monday and She Who Shall Be Obeyed has asked me to pack everything up and get the space ready for demo.

Chores first then play.

Last edited by TRP; 08-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #22
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post

From his Living Room, he started his Model A and drove it 250 yards all the way up to the front entrance of his house ..... all by Remote Control .....
I guess that is possible, but I'm going to have to call BS.

Just the mechanisms to push in the clutch, put it in gear, and release the clutch would be pretty major. Plus releasing the eBrake, applying the service brakes, turning the steering wheel, maybe even having to change gears (reverse and 1st). Possible, but unlikely.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
WHN

I have been in the electrical business for 40 years, this is nothing.

Check out some houses out there.

There are Shade Tree Electricans to.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #24
captndan

This is a 12V conversion. The ballast on the 6V coil is fine. No need to replace the coil. Make sure this conversion is negative ground. If not start there.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #25
mike657894

thats not that bad. looks like taking out the push button start would cut down on a lot of the mess get a 12v coil and eliminate the resistor. you probably need a new starter switch I would guess the old one broke and the push button was the guys fix with local parts. I put a small 4 spot fuse block in my car as there was a dome light fire so the no fuse setup went out the window. I also added a cut out that sits on top of the battery and is accessible from the driver seat. the last thing I see is the 6v resistor for the wipers or maybe the horn the circular one. but when thinking in terms of under hood mess any modern car blows this away.

edit: that circular unit zip tied to the relay is the turn signal flasher
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #26
PC/SR

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yeh, you can clean up that mess. First find someone who has a clean setup and look at it for a long time, and keep him close so you can look again. Then spend some time on the wiring diagram above and how it fits into your car. Part of the hobby is the knowledge gained from figuring out problems. Get your wiring correct and you will be the new club expert on this. Good Luck.
Ps: Where in the SF Bay area? Lots of clubs around here with lots of knowledge, and lots of fun for tours, social events, etc.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

Reply #22 appears to have missed the most important punch line of this satirical electrical explanation and ridiculous satirical revelation in reply no. 6; i.e.,:

"he just probably forgot to give you the Electronic Control Box with instructions."
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
TRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
Yeh, you can clean up that mess. First find someone who has a clean setup and look at it for a long time, and keep him close so you can look again. Then spend some time on the wiring diagram above and how it fits into your car. Part of the hobby is the knowledge gained from figuring out problems. Get your wiring correct and you will be the new club expert on this. Good Luck.
Ps: Where in the SF Bay area? Lots of clubs around here with lots of knowledge, and lots of fun for tours, social events, etc.
I live in Morgan Hill. I hear there is a Gilroy / South County club. I need to look into their schedule.

Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote