Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
tracktguy

Default 1946 Convertible top Alignment

I need some ideas on why my top frame fits together great on one side and the other is way off. I have put the 4 new eccentrics on both sides. Adjusted the one side and it looks great and the other side stinks. This is just the bare frame with new header. Is there any adjustment in the area where is mounts to the window regulator side plate? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
tracktguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
flathead48

Default Re: 1946 Convertible top Alignment

Tracktguy, there is some adjustment where the top mounts to the body.put your quarter windows up and use them for a guide on setting the first curved section. If you get those the same the rest should adjust the same. A lot of time can go into adjusting the top frame .good luck
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Frank Miller

I am not familiar with this setup but if you have one side fitting good I would think a lot of comparative measurements could be taken to identify your problem.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
jimTN

Look in the Ford SB's, there is an excellent description on how to adjust the top.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
tracktguy

I have reprinted hard cover book of Ford service bulletins but that has very little on the adjustment of the top irons. It does show making a template for the quarter window and various things about up and down movement. That was #50600. Now, it could be that all of that bulletin was not published in that book. Can you give me an idea where to find that info.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
jimTN

I will have to search my records. At one time I put together a compilation of copied info on adjusting those tops and it was several pages.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
jagnweiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
I will have to search my records. At one time I put together a compilation of copied info on adjusting those tops and it was several pages.
I'd be interested in seeing that too.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
tracktguy

Awesome if you could find that. Let me know.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
jimTN

I found the copies of this and they contain info from both the SB and a FMC Canada shop manual. Here is what is not in the US SB from "Power Operated Tops Hydro- Lectric Type 1946-8 Ford and Mercury" "Forward and backward adjustment. (clearance at windshield header when top up) If top is too far forward or does not move far enough forward to permit windshield header dowses to enter dowel holes in roof rail, adjust as follows: Raise top slightly above windshield header, loosen attaching bolts in corner braces at front end of side roof rail, move front rail forward or backward to align dowels and dowel holes (attaching bolt holes are slotted to permit this adjustment) tighten attaching bolts.
Up or down adjustment (clearance at top of door and quarter window) if side roof rail too high or too low when top is up, unlatch top at windshield and raise top approximately halfway, remove rear seat cushion, back and quarter trim panel. Loosen three plate attaching screws in top adjusting plate at rear section of body, move adjusting plate down to raise side roof rail or up to lower side roof rail (attaching screw holes are slotte4d to permit this adjustment. Folded top position adjustment. If top does not contact bumper in each side of top compartment when lowered, loosen attaching screws in top adjusting plate to rear slightly but do not raise or lower the plate. Moving plate to rear will allow top to lower further into the top compartment.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
tracktguy

Thank you for this info. I will start trying the above methods. I would be interested paying for a copy of the SB and FMC info if your able to do that. If not, I understand.
Thanks again for this. It's far more info than I know. This is the first convert I have had, so it's all new to me. My email is [email protected] if you want to contact me that way.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
flyboy89

Just a thought, how well do the door gaps fit the body? Are the body mounts in good shape or do they need replaced. I need a new top on our '47 convertible but the body mounts need replaced and the doors adjusted. I can't adjust the top irons until then. Good luck with your convert.
flyboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
tracktguy

When I purchased the car way, about 7 years ago, the guy had installed new body mount pads. As I was doing the body work I tweeked the various mounting bolts to get the door gaps nice. With the input of others. also, on this site I have gotten close. The new header that came with the car looks it might need some massaging to get the top mounts the same angle on both sides. I will "play" with that tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Nice convert and neat looking bi-plane.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #13
flyboy89

Thanks. The car actually belongs to the wife. The plane is a Stearman built around '41 or '42 if I remember correctly. We also have a '41 pickup and a '54 Club Coupe.

Haven't put the top on yet as it needs new body mounts.
flyboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote