Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #21
tomcarman

Default Re: Part ID

Thanks DavidG and all the others who contributed their knowledge. Based on DavidG's input it appears this is a C-suffix version as the mounting body mounting surface is indeed flat. What sedan it fit is unknown to me. I can tell you that it is 6" exactly from the mounting surface to it's highest point of the plate. I'm not interested in prolonging this thread however out of much curiosity can anyone post a good pic of one in use on their '35? Truthfully when I found it I first thought it was a spare tire mount, but upon further thought It also looked like it could have been some sort of engine, front end or transmission mount. Dad and his brother had many many Fords over the years but never a '35 in my 60 plus years of memory. In the end the only 2 cars that remain in the family are '32's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200414_131209_resized.jpg (40.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200414_131355_resized.jpg (41.8 KB, 11 views)
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Thanks DavidG and all the others who contributed their knowledge. Based on DavidG's input it appears this is a C-suffix version as the mounting body mounting surface is indeed flat. What sedan it fit is unknown to me. I can tell you that it is 6" exactly from the mounting surface to it's highest point of the plate. I'm not interested in prolonging this thread however out of much curiosity can anyone post a good pic of one in use on their '35? Truthfully when I found it I first thought it was a spare tire mount, but upon further thought It also looked like it could have been some sort of engine, front end or transmission mount. Dad and his brother had many many Fords over the years but never a '35 in my 60 plus years of memory. In the end the only 2 cars that remain in the family are '32's.

These kind of pictures WITHOUT a tire mounted are hard to come by. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #23
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
These kind of pictures WITHOUT a tire mounted are hard to come by. DD

Wow! Thanks very much! Now I understand. Very impressive how you and others have mastered this techno crap that never seems to work for me. I'd like to have that car, looks to be in excellent shape.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #24
mercman from oz

Here is another picture of the Spare Wheel Mount without the wheel. This one is on a 1935 Ford Phaeton.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #25
tomcarman

Very impressive! Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Whenever I Google stuff all I get is not what I'm looking for and gossip sites.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Wow! I'd like to have that car, looks to be in excellent shape.

Yup, a little squirt of air in that front tire and she' be cruisin'! A little Turtle Wax and she'd be ready for the Saturday nite car show!! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 04-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #27
deuce_roadster

The spare tire mount for my 40 Woodie looks similar and is FLAT where it bolts to the tailgate.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
The spare tire mount for my 40 Woodie looks similar and is FLAT where it bolts to the tailgate.

Yeah Mike, I ran across a couple of those squatty, flat "Woodie" mounts looking for these other pictures. I never realized they were that flat. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 04-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #29
VeryTangled

Greetings Everyone. tomcarman your question has provided for us to have an excellent thread, thanks to you and the other contributors.

It was actually a little tougher answer than it might have appeared.

To fill out the discussion, here's a picture I took from the wonderful 1935-36 book authored by one of our great members, Don Rogers. It shows three (of the ten available) body styles, from left: Fordor Sedan (nickname slant or flatback), Fordor Touring Sedan (sometimes called trunkback or humpback), and 5-Window Coupe.

You can see the slant of the spare tire in relation to the body is different, and that's why there are multiple 1935 spare tire mounts.

The second picture doesn't help anything but I like it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Fords.jpg (28.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1935 Ford Assembly Line.jpg (88.4 KB, 70 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #30
V8COOPMAN

So tomcarman …...if DavidG is correct (and he USUALLY is), your part should be the "C" suffix as it appears flat on the back side in your pictures, which seems to equate to a carrier for a Touring Sedan, or the "Humpback Sedan" like the one which appears in the center drawing, and like the big, ugly sedan in the picture I posted above. How's about that for a little bit of simple detective work? Ain't this FordBarn a great place.....or what? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 04-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #31
tomcarman

Thanks to all. Very impressive sluething by members who have the knowledge and resources to identify these old parts. I am admittedly ignorant regarding these things. At the risk of being a nuisance I will undoubtedly exhume other parts as we continue to organize the garage and if so I'll ask again. I especially appreciated the photos and the drawings.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #32
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thanks to all. Very impressive sluething by members who have the knowledge and resources to identify these old parts. I am admittedly ignorant regarding these things. At the risk of being a nuisance I will undoubtedly exhume other parts as we continue to organize the garage and if so I'll ask again. I especially appreciated the photos and the drawings.

Hey Tom....You just go ahead and ask away. I, for one, enjoy this stuff. It makes me learn stuff, too! Ironically, every lie that I told you in this thread was as a result of info found SOMEWHERE in the FordBarn archives, except for the one picture of that ugly sedan with the flat tire that you liked so much. You're allowed to use our "search" function, too. It's in that black band at the top of every page. So, bring it on! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 04-15-2020, 11:40 PM   #33
mercman from oz

Here is the Spare Wheel Mount without the Wheel on a 1935 Ford Three Window Coupe.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:18 AM   #34
tomcarman

Sheesh, your guys are killing me! LOL. Now it's clear what DavidG meant by A, B and C suffix on the SN. What a wonderful bit of support and followup by knowledgable people. Thanks to all and V8 I'll look into that search bar thing. Who would have thought the intricate differences of something as mundane as a spare tire mount on a 35 Ford? Truthfully I'm lucky Dad put anything on that part to identify it. He was rather remarkable in knowing what the parts were and there are many more to be discovered. Mike (Duece Roadster) has helped us and has seen what we have. To that am grateful.