Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
6shots

Default Powder coat wheel colors

Does anybody know where I can get "straw" colored powder for powder coated wheels. I can get "Tacoma Cream" from a couple of sources, but was looking for a little brighter color like straw without making it an obvious Model A color deviation. The German RAL yellow colors are too garish.

Mike
6shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Powder coat wheel colors

Straw has more "red" in it than Tacoma. If brighter is what you are after, Straw is not the correct choice.

BTW, did you do a search here on this? It has been mentioned many times in the past.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
6shots

Thanks, Brent. I guess what I'm looking for is a color with a little more yellow than Tacoma Cream, without being obvious. Tacoma Cream appears to have a "tan" hue. Straw has more yellow, but is a bit washed out. - Also, I'll try a search on the subject.
6shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I don't know what you are using for a comparison but if you are looking at other powdercoated wheels that are touted as a match to Tacoma, generally they are not close to being authentic in color. I actually had to have Tacoma powder specially blended. Since this is costly, might I suggest finding a powdercoater that uses Tiger DryLac powder and look at their color chips to find something that suits you?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
psgouge

Where did you find the Tacoma Cream? What is the product number? The RAL1002 is very close to straw
psgouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I paid to have mine specially blended by Tiger Drylac in 50 lbs quantities. It takes about 1 - 1¼ pound per wheel. There used to be a company out in Washington state that tried having the colors blended to sell but someone told me they went out of business. If 'close" will get you by, then the RAL numbers will be OK but they aren't THAT close to the real color.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I paid to have mine specially blended by Tiger Drylac in 50 lbs quantities. It takes about 1 - 1¼ pound per wheel. There used to be a company out in Washington state that tried having the colors blended to sell but someone told me they went out of business. If 'close" will get you by, then the RAL numbers will be OK but they aren't THAT close to the real color.

modelawheelcolors.com did not have straw anyway.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
psgouge

What do they charge per pound?
Are you interested in selling any?
psgouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
TinCup

Tiger DryLoc
Tacoma Cream RAL1001 49/15190;Straw RAL1002 49/22590.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
Tiger DryLoc
Tacoma Cream RAL1001 49/15190;Straw RAL1002 49/22590.
Do you have any experience with either of these to know how accurate of a match they are in comparison to the Paint & Refinish Guide chips?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Great Lakes Greg

Modelawheelcolors.com is $120 for five pounds. I believe the shade to be right on. I would post a picture if I knew how on a reply.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Im a long away from being a expert on old paint, But I really don't think any one knows what the org. tacoma cream looks like from the 28-31 era. all one can do is get as close as they can, If some one had a gal. of any paint made in that era and it was still good [would be imposible] and you sprayed it, you would probley be put in jail by the epa "goone's" plus a heavy fine.
At model "A" shows I've been to I've seen everything from near white to bright yellow, They all look great to me.
In my opin. any one who says they know what the org. authentic [29-31 era] paint look's are living in a dream world, It can't be done.
All you can do is get close. JMO .
I hope this doesn't offend you but I must respectfully disagree with nearly all your opinions. Are you aware there is a booklet called the Model A Ford Paint & Refinish Guide, ...and do you know how it came into existence? Do you remember a company named Ditzler?? Would you by chance know their involvement and what they offered???

Also, why are you implying the EPA would say something about me spraying 80 year enamel paint?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 01-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Louis

rustyrim,
You may be right, and I would love to go to the museum at greenfield some day.
But the paint is made so diff. now days and most "A's" have a clear coat on it, I still feel that if you put a model "A" with today's new paint next to one at the Henry Ford museum you could tell quite a diff.
"But"... I've been wrong many times in the past.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
rustyrim,
You may be right, and I would love to go to the museum at greenfield some day.
But the paint is made so diff. now days and most "A's" have a clear coat on it, I still feel that if you put a model "A" with today's new paint next to one at the Henry Ford museum you could tell quite a diff.
"But"... I've been wrong many times in the past.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I think you have been subjected to a lot of bad (i.e: incorrect) information. Based on what I have experienced at shows/tours/events, most Model A's really aren't painted in BC/CC like you have been led to believe. Also the original wheels were dipped in enamel paint. I will agree this paint was alkyd enamel without any hardners however alkyd is still available with synthetic enamels. Because the original wheels (which were pit-free) were dipped, their finish was extremely smooth & glossy. Correctly applied synthetic enamel, --or even urethane that is applied with minimal mil thickness mimics the original wheels so closely it is hardly distiguishable.

With regard to paint colors matching, Ditzler became Ford's paint supplier and when you research Ford's M-Specs, you find they were very anal about his colors and mix formulas. Later Pittsburgh Plate Glass decided they wanted a paint line and purchased Ditzler, --therefore PPG's internal library & research can replicate the original color in exacting detail simply because they have all the old formulas and color chips. Therefore it really is up to the painter to obtain the proper formula, ...AND apply the modern paint with a technique that mimics the look of lacquer paint. Not every painter has the skill to be able to do this however the ones that can can trick your eyes into believing it is the same as those cars at The Henry Ford (Greenfield). Again, it's not that you are wrong but more about you have been believing the wrong information. And yes, visiting Greenfield definitely needs to be on your 'bucket list'!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
HoarseWhisperer

As usual, informative post, Brent.

My experience with powder coat:

I had what was thought to be original Tacoma Cream wheels. When compared to the chips in Model A Ford Paint & Refinish Guide, they were pretty close in comparison considering fade, etc., of almost 80 years of exposure to the elements.

When I had a set Powder Coated about five years ago, they had difficulty matching the chips to our satisfaction with the limited RAL available.

They then put on a base coat of white under the cream using scrap metal and seemed to hit it spot on.

I suppose I could put the wheels under a spectrophotometer, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I hope this doesn't offend you but I must respectfully disagree with nearly all your opinions. Are you aware there is a booklet called the Model A Ford Paint & Refinish Guide, ...and do you know how it came into existence? Do you remember a company named Ditzler?? Would you by chance know their involvement and what they offered???

Also, why are you implying the EPA would say something about me spraying 80 year enamel paint?
Brent,
Not offend'ed at all, As it was just my opinion, And I did say that.
And what you say is your opin. and I always enjoy hearing the opin. of an expert...What a Country.

By the way, Love the Pic's of all the great looking model "A's" on your web site.

Last edited by Louis; 01-28-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote