Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2023, 06:47 AM   #1
philcobill

Default One good reason for turn signals

We will be installing turn signals in our 29 Special Coupe. That has been on the plans for a while and we are at a point to actually do it. One of the main reasons is the number of other drivers who do not pay attention to hand signals to turn left and right. This past week, I have had two near misses with someone trying to pass me on the left as I am trying to turn left. That is rather unnerving. I remember learning about using your arm for turn signals in drivers ed more than 50 years ago. I guess this is no longer taught. Also, I had always assumed it was illegal to pass at an intersection. Some drivers also seem impatient as I drive our Model A under the speed limit. I am not normally the complaining type, but having near misses like this is rather sobering.
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:09 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: One good reason for turn signals

Somehow it has become 2023 and not 1930. I love driving my Model A but want to make my experience as safe as possible. I have turn indicators and bright LED rear tail lights. I agree with Phil that they are necessary in this day and age.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:17 AM   #3
WHN

Unfortunately it is getting to the point that it can be unsafe to drive real antique cars in todays traffic, with todays drivers.

We live in the country, but it still can be unnerving. A slight finder bender in a modern car, could be a major catastrophe in a Model A or T.

Stay safe.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:42 AM   #4
Patrick L.

40 years ago I got tired of getting the single finger salute from all the soccer moms. People do not know or care about hand signals.
So, the Parks, Cowls and Brake lights became LED Turns.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
TerryO

In addition to a hand signal I pump the brakes to serve as a left turn signal (led tail light). I also plan to install turn signals on all my A's in the future.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
gary678*

I have LED turn signals on the rear,; on club tours drivers behind me remark how bright and visible they are. Definitely an important safety upgrade when driving in today's traffic, not only on busy roads but on low traffic rural roads. SAFETY FIRST!
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:55 AM   #7
Tom Endy

My opinion, turn signals on a Model A are essential in today's traffic. Few people recognize a hand signal. The attached article was written a number of years ago when I installed turn signals in my Victoria and Bratton's no longer offer the turn signal kit described as the manufacturer went out of business. However, two years ago I was able to buy one of the last he still had in stock for my grandson's 30 Tudor we were restoring. With the addition of LED lights in the back, they provide a clear indication that you are turning or stopping.

If I were installing turn signals on a Model A today, I would mount the indicator lights at the top of the windshield where they are more visible. Since you have to manually cancel the turn signals, I sometimes forget to cancel them as I no longer can clearly hear the buzzer and if not looking down the lights are not noticed.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...rn-Signals.pdf

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:01 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

We cannot be driving our Model A's like they did in the 1930s and be safe. Safety modifications are a must have. Dual taillights and LED turn signals are essential.
When driving, I give the driver behind me a quick look at my brake lights. I also stay in the right hand lane and traffic permitting, I keep my car speed at 40 to 50 MPH.
I use the cowl lights equipped with amber lenses and LED bulbs for front turn signals. Turn signals need to be bright. Four-way emergency flashers are also important, and especially if you are driving the last car in a club convoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A LED Tail Lights.jpg kb.jpg (55.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 08-30-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:09 AM   #9
Banditorama

People have always been terrible drivers, but post-covid it seems like they've absolutely lost their minds behind the wheel. I gave up riding motorcycles because I lost the nerve to go out on public roads after several near death experiences. The Model A probably isn't much safer but its a lot more visible in traffic

First thing I did after I got the car drivable was add turn signals. Mine already had the second brake light added, but I'd like to get some brighter LED bulbs and add a third brake light up high. Originality goes out the window when it comes to safety (at least in my opinion).
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #10
AzBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcobill View Post
I guess this is no longer taught.
Perhaps no longer taught in NY. However, hand signal testing still required in AZ. Below from AZ driver's manual.

This argument that hand signals are no longer used or understood comes up often on the old car forums. I recently quizzed an 18 yr. old. He knew what they were and could demonstrate them.

One will occasionally see motorcyclists, bicyclists and others using them here. Recently saw a Motorcyclist using hand signals.

That being said, I have installed dual tail lights, turn signals and 3rd brake light on my A. In today's traffic, I agree it is a good idea to add these additional safety features to get other driver's attention. Sometimes, I will use both turn and hand signals for "double security"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1AZDL.jpg (73.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by AzBob; 08-30-2023 at 05:50 PM.
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:26 AM   #11
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob View Post
Perhaps no longer taught in NY. However, hand signal testing still required in AZ. Below from AZ driver's manual.

This argument that hand signals are no longer used or understood comes up often on the old car forums. I recently quizzed an 18 yr. old. He knew what they were and could demonstrate them.

One will occasionally see motorcyclists, bicyclists and others using them here. Recently saw a Motorcyclist using hand signals.

That being said, I have installed dual tail lights and turn signals on my A. In today's traffic, I agree that it is a good idea to add dual tail lights, turn signals and brighter lamps to get other driver's attention.
Now find some random person between the age of 25-35 (who isn't into antique cars) and ask them the same question.

Its like math, someone fresh out of high school trigonometry could probably tell you what cosine, sine, and tangent are. But, ask them the same question when they're 5-10 years removed from class and they'll probably just give you a blank stare

If you never use it or see it, you tend to forget it
Old 08-30-2023, 11:27 AM   #12
jayg48anglia

I installed turn signals recently on my 29. We live in an "active" 55 community with about 90 miles of roads. Even with the turn signals I have to be sharp, especially at intersections. Something I did which I am surprised no one mentioned is a loud horn. I installed a 150 db small electric 2 note horn. It helps of course mostly after the fact. Sadly people want to hear the original.
jayg48anglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #13
AzBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
Now find some random person between the age of 25-35 (who isn't into antique cars) and ask them the same question.

Its like math, someone fresh out of high school trigonometry could probably tell you what cosine, sine, and tangent are. But, ask them the same question when they're 5-10 years removed from class and they'll probably just give you a blank stare

If you never use it or see it, you tend to forget it
The current AZ drivers license test for renewal or new driver has a question on hand signal use. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 9.41.31 AM.jpg (11.9 KB, 58 views)
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 12:11 PM   #14
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob View Post
The current AZ drivers license test for renewal or new driver has a question on hand signal use. See below.
Arizona makes you take a test to renew your license? That's actually pretty smart. Here in KY, you just go to the courthouse every 8 years (used to be 4), get your picture taken, and they send the new license in the mail.

You would think the drivers where I am got their license off the back of a cereal box. I had an embarrassing number of people wave at me when I used hand signals thinking I was waving at them. Even had a cop "wave back" to me at a 4 way one time when I was signaling to go left.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:19 PM   #15
ModelA29

I put the Logolites on mine recently. I'm happy with them but I should have thought out the placement of the controller better. It's mostly hidden at the upper LH corner of the dash - and somewhat difficult to reach when driving having to reach through or under the steering wheel. I'm considering moving it to the center of the seat riser.
https://www.logolites.com/products/turn-signals/

PS - I too installed the 3rd brake light I figured the drones driving today don't notice a brake light unless they can see it above their phone level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd.jpg (23.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by ModelA29; 08-31-2023 at 05:04 PM.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 01:26 PM   #16
Bruce of MN

I've had driver licenses in Illinois, Minnesota, and Virginia and Illinois is the only state of the bunch that required you to take the written test more than once in your life, every 8 years there. In Minnesota, in 1998, the test machine stopped and passed you as soon as you answered the minimum number right. If you don't have to prove you know the law, how does the public learn about new laws? Starting this year, in Virginia, you have to move away from the lane next to a civilian car with their flashers on, just like for an emergency vehicle with the lights on. Realistically, what percentage of drivers are aware of that?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:19 PM   #17
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
We cannot be driving our Model A's like they did in the 1930s and be safe. Safety modifications are a must have. Dual taillights and LED turn signals are essential.
When driving, I give the driver behind me a quick look at my brake lights. I also stay in the right hand lane and traffic permitting, I keep my car speed at 40 to 50 MPH.
I use the cowl lights equipped with amber lenses and LED bulbs for front turn signals. Turn signals need to be bright. Four-way emergency flashers are also important, and especially if you are driving the last car in a club convoy.
Bob:

Not on subject, but I like your car! Looks sharp.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 03:12 PM   #18
Y-Blockhead

When on tour, I hang my "Slow Moving Vehicle" sign on the back. Not sure if everyone knows what it means but it make for a very large reflector!

I also have turn indicators and a third brake light.

And signage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0139.jpg (38.5 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0730.jpg (46.6 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-30-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:12 PM   #19
mcgarrett

For our driver cars, the sooner we give up on this "HAND SIGNALS" thing and move on to real turn signals, the safer we'll all be.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:40 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg48anglia View Post
I installed turn signals recently on my 29. We live in an "active" 55 community with about 90 miles of roads. Even with the turn signals I have to be sharp, especially at intersections. Something I did which I am surprised no one mentioned is a loud horn. I installed a 150 db small electric 2 note horn. It helps of course mostly after the fact. Sadly people want to hear the original.
I find a lot of other drivers don't recognise the sound of the original horn as a horn. They just don't respond.
Back when I rode a motor cycle, I had a pair of air horns on it. Boy, did that save me a time or two. Not only did an offending driver know I was there but so did everyone in that suburb! In addition to an original horn, I have a pair of 1950s horns mounted under the tray of my farm ute out of sight.
I have turn signals on all of my As and since ours are setup differently from yours, it is easy to have them also act as hazard lights.